Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Discuss Elliaison Books and Articles » The Fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ » The Fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ (Discuss points related to this chapter.)
Re: The Fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ [message #610 is a reply to message #603] Tue, 03 July 2012 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
JulesGP wrote on Sat, 30 June 2012 14:45
I also learned that receiving the Holy Ghost is A COMMANDMENT!
Hey, so obvious that we trip over it! And so many people still do not "receive the Holy Ghost" after the ordinance tells them to do so. Or they get it here and there, but not as a constant companion. I don't have it all the time, but I am for the most part pleased with my own progress and connection to the spiritual. However, I continue to seek a greater endowment of the spirit.

Quote:
I have a question about John 14:26 quoted in the book. It says:
Quote:
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
So the Spirit will teach us ALL things, and bring us to our REMEMBRANCE.... Does that mean we knew ALL THINGS before? How are we being "brought to a remembrance of all things" if we did not know them before? Can anyone clarify this for me?
Interesting thought. I haven't considered this before. Maybe it has something to do with being Gods in the spirit and having the veil drawn over our minds so that we forgot everything and now are remembering it again. Or, it could be interpreted to mean that it will remind us of all things we have forgotten, not that we knew all things. ??? Anyone have additional thoughts on this?

Quote:
One thing I liked too, is that the book points out the way the Holy Ghost will be our guide and teacher until we are able to receive instruction from the Savior Himself - and THAT is the Gospel! To receive and be taught by the Holy Ghost - not just feel promptings here and there, but to be taught and instructed by him as a preliminary step to being taught and instructed by the Savior. It's such a huge concept that IMHO, we are not taught by the church with the gravity we should be when we are baptized and blessed with the gift of the Holy Ghost.
I agree! I have felt that as missionaries we tell people to pray and learn from God the truth about the Book of Mormon and other principles and then after they join we tell them, "you can't trust your own revelation, so follow the prophet, he won't lead you astray". Its like, "If we can't trust our personal revelation now as baptized, confirmed members who have been given the Gift of the Holy Ghost, then why did we think we could trust it BEFORE when we were only investigating the church without the gift of the Holy Ghost? When you ask which one to follow when they contradict, most people will say, out of fear, follow the prophet above and beyond your personal revelation from the Holy Ghost. I think that is one reason few people have their C&E.

Quote:
Another question I have came from the last part of this chapter. The book says:
Quote:
Eventually, when we all have accepted the Fullness of the Gospel, we will all be prophets.

It also quotes Joseph Smith. So do these things mean that accepting the Fullness is all it takes to be a prophet? Isn't there prophesying involved? Does it mean accepting the Fullness - and then testifying of it? Just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding.
The testimony of Christ is the spirit of prophecy, or in other words, the testimony of Christ COMES BY the spirit of prophecy. So, if you have a testimony of Christ, you are a prophet. What this means is that if you get a testimony of future events, then you receive it the same way you received the testimony of Christ. The process is the same. You have all the tools you need to be a prophet. But that doesn't make you a prophet. Having the tools and even knowing how to use them doesn't mean that you actively use them.

A person can have paint brushes and paint and have painted a picture, and so you can call them a painter even if their painting resembles the work of a 4 year old. In this way, you could say you were a prophet, which is the point of the book. But in reality, having attempted painting, and having completed a painting which now decorates the landfills of the local Garbage Facilities, I would not consider myself a painter. Maybe a very poor painter...

On second thought, maybe I am a painter. A very poor painter, but a painter and with practice, lessons and more effort I would become a better painter. I do not know at what point I would consider myself a good painter. So, I talked myself out of my previous point and now agree that a painter or a prophet is still a prophet, even if they aren't a very good painter or prophet. There must then be varying levels or degrees which come through experience. And with practice and guidance we could become better prophets. I guess that is what every prophet has gone through any way. They must have to learn to be prophets or better prophets than they were when they first started.

(hmmmm...)

~ Seeker

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: The Rock or Sure Foundation
Next Topic: The Fastest Way to Make Your Calling and Election Sure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 14:09:08 MDT 2024