Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Discuss Elliaison Books and Articles » By Their Fruits Ye Shall Know Them » By Their Fruits Ye Shall Know Them (Discussion of the book.)
Re: By Their Fruits Ye Shall Know Them [message #1948 is a reply to message #1947] Sun, 13 January 2013 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
JulesGP

rdwhitaker wrote on Sun, 13 January 2013 11:55
Being a late comer here, there is much on this forum to catch up with, and I am slowly getting around to it. I have enjoyed reading this thread.

A big red flag was raised for me, however, when I read the suggestion we should love Satan. I understand the reason behind this (love your enemy) but this is a very dangerous course to follow. Satan is waiting for every opportunity to twist and turn our thoughts, words and actions against our proper progress. Someone who tries to love Satan could very, very easily be turned away from their path of eternal progression. I view the word "enemy" as in "love your enemy," as referring to mortals. When it comes to Satan, I feel the best course is to avoid him and not tempt him to take advantage of our well meaning attitude. There are those who want to pity Satan, to have compassion on him, who think he has been given a bum rap just for fulfilling his assigned, eternal role. This is dangerous. The best course for us to follow during mortality is to love the Lord our God with all of our heart, might, mind, and soul. This does not leave much room for loving Satan. There may come a time when we have progressed enough that it may be given us to feel something other than enmity for Satan, but I doubt that time will occur during any of our mortal probation.

Ryan

Ryan I see what you are saying and I've struggled with this too. (Replace Satan with "ex-husband....). Although I am struggling with the actual application, I can see that we SHOULD learn to love all - including Satan. I believe as his Father, Heavenly Father must also have love for his rebellious son Satan. I cannot imagine NOT loving my sons - no matter how far they fell - even unto Perdition. I know that at one time, I did love my ex-husband and because of his continued actions toward my son and me, I have lost that. I understand that I'm supposed to despise the sin and still have love for the sinner, but I haven't figured out HOW yet. And regarding Satan, I know that I should not allow hate into my heart - even for Satan - as he is the one who fosters such feelings. But understanding how to actually love the entity that creates such evil and encourages my ex-husband to do the things he does is difficult for me to fathom. But as I said - despite my lack of understanding at this time, I know it is true.

Quote:
Luke 6:27

27 ¶But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,

Quote:
3 Nephi 12:44

44 But behold I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them who despitefully use you and persecute you;

Quote:
Matthew 5:44

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Quote:
Alma 26:32

32 For behold, they had rather sacrifice their lives than even to take the life of their enemy; and they have buried their weapons of war deep in the earth, because of their love towards their brethren.

Quote:
Luke 6:35

35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

Again.... I am still learning.... Confused

~Jules

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message