Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Calling and Election Made Sure » How You Received Your Calling and Election Made Sure » My Story (Accepting the truth)
My Story [message #2147] Fri, 01 February 2013 01:52 Go to previous message
Called to Serve is currently offline  Called to Serve
As a member of the LDSFF, I came across Amonhi's admonition to pray and ask if we had already had our calling and election made sure. At the time I only visited the private section of the forum, but everyone there was talking so much about this thread Amonhi had started that I ventured "out" for the first time in months to see what all the fuss was about. I knew that it was sound advice and knew that I ought to pray but I struggled with it anyway. I knew that if the answer was yes, and something told me it would be, that I would have a hard time accepting it.

Well, I couldn't ignore the promptings of the Spirit, so I knelt down and prayed and sure enough, the answer was yes. It was a very calm, quiet yes, no great swelling of the Spirit or anything. I suppose the Lord knew that I would struggle with it and that was part of His plan, so He didn't do anything spectacular to convince me.

I grappled with the question for months but eventually I just came to accept it. It was like it grew on me or in me until I knew it was true. I think the other things I was learning through the Spirit led to my acceptance because I stopped expecting to have to act a certain way to be perfect. I know many people say that you don't have to be perfect to have your calling and election made sure, and maybe that is true, but that was my expectation. However, I believe that perfect love has more to do with perfection than acting certain ways and the Lord has shown me over the past few months that I am filled with charity. And so, despite my wide variety of weaknesses and flaws, I can accept myself as perfect. I am accepting of others as well, despite their imperfections. The only thing that truly offends me is when others qualify others, placing them on a scale above or below others.

So I accept that my calling and election is made sure because I believe that I have been perfected in Christ. I believe that in the most important way, I am like Him. I haven't calmed any storms lately or risen any dead, but I know that I would give up everything for others if it would help them progress toward God and that is all I need to know.

Unlike Ashley, I never wondered or asked when the exact moment was that it happened. I guess that wasn't really important to me to know. It was just important to me to know that it had been made sure. I am content now in that knowledge and struggling instead with learning the lessons I need to to fulfill my life's mission. What a journey I am on!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: When did Joseph Smith receive his C&E?
Next Topic: 4/14/2012 Asking and Receiving
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 08:04:44 MDT 2024