Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Current Church Doctrine » How can one be a slave to the Holy Ghost? Is that a bad thing?
How can one be a slave to the Holy Ghost? Is that a bad thing? [message #2140] Thu, 31 January 2013 09:46 Go to previous message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
When discussing Home Teaching on this forum, it was suggested assignments should not be necessary if we were all righteous enough to live every moment by the direction of the Holy Ghost. My response was to say this would lead a person to become a 'slave to the Holy Ghost'. So what does this mean?
I mean when you stop making your own decisions and turn at every moment to the Holy Ghost, then you have become a being who is acted upon rather than one who is acting. Agency means making a choice and seeing it through, then accepting the consequences. If every moment of our lives can be dictated by another entity, be it another man, a prophet, a spouse, a demon, an angel, or even the Holy Ghost, then we would take no responsibility for our actions because we would only be doing what we are told.

Is this a bad thing?
Some have indicated becoming a slave to the Holy Ghost is the Plan of God and the goal of individuals. I declare boldly this is not true. I have heard of people who pray before deciding on a brand of toothpaste. To me this shows the silliness of the extreme. To turn to the word of God on this subject,
D&C 58:26
For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

We are not here to learn to sacrifice our individuality. Rather we are here to learn and to grow. The Holy Ghost will guide us in things where we have no experience. However, once we have knowledge of a thing, we are expected to act upon that knowledge. We do not need to confirm with the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is true before declaring it to be so to others. Yes, we need a testimony of the Book of Mormon, but we do not reconfirm that testimony at every door a missionary knocks on. We don't turn to God to remind us of things He has guided us in before. It's true every situation is different, but we are given knowledge to make our own decisions. We cannot live every second of our lives through the direction of the Holy Ghost without sacrificing the goal we came to Earth to achieve.

- Dragon

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message