Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » Light and Knowledge (Concerning Light:)
Light and Knowledge [message #2068] Wed, 23 January 2013 13:51 Go to previous message
brrgilbert is currently offline  brrgilbert
The following treatise is in reference to light as a fundamental principle upon which creation rests.

(James 1:17.)

17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

It is interesting that Heavenly Father is called the "Father of lights" in this reference. We know that He is the Father of our spirits . . . could this new concept shed light to our understanding? Could this principle enlighten us?

(Doctrine and Covenants 93:29.)

29 Man was also in the beginning with God. Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not created or made, neither indeed can be.

Here the definition of intelligence is the "light of truth."

(Doctrine and Covenants 93:36.)

36 The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth.

Here the definition of intelligence is the "light and truth."

(Doctrine and Covenants 93:24.)

24 And truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come;

Here truth is defined as "knowledge."

(Doctrine and Covenants 93:30.)

30 All truth is independent in that sphere in which God has placed it, to act for itself, as all intelligence also; otherwise there is no existence.

Stated in another way, by using a previously given key: All "knowledge" is independent in that sphere in which God has placed it, to act for itself, as all intelligence also; otherwise there is no existence.

(Doctrine and Covenants 84:45-46.)

45 For the word of the Lord is truth, and whatsoever is truth is light, and whatsoever is light is Spirit, even the Spirit of Jesus Christ.
46 And the Spirit giveth light to every man that cometh into the world; and the Spirit enlighteneth every man through the world, that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit.

The previous scripture sheds a lot of light on our topic. (Pund intended.) " . . . whatsoever is truth is light . . . ." By back-filling into the previously given, scriptural references, then, intelligence is light of/and truth; truth is knowledge; and truth is light. Wait a minute! If intelligence is light and truth is light, then intelligence must be light of/and light. This could get confusing unless we proceed with the Spirit. Wait! The scripture also says that ". . . whatsoever is light is Spirit . . . ." Now I am over enlightened! Can someone please help me out of this predicament? First we started talking about light, then intelligence - but we found out that it was light, then Spirit - but we found out that it was light, too. Obviously we need to understand what "light" is and if there are different kinds of light. The following definition I offer by way of opinion based upon my experience and study. Light is a particle that undergoes vibration, excitation or "quickening." When addressing the topic, it is very important to realize that there are different kinds of light (particles) and different rates of vibration, excitation or "quickening." We can refer to these variations in terms of QUALITY and QUANTITY. Allow me to illustrate. When speaking of the "particle" it can exhibit both "quality" and "quantity." The quality may be given as "size" and the quantity may be given as "how many particles of a given size." When speaking of the vibration, excitation or "quickening," it can, also, exhibit both "quality" and "quantity." The quality may be given as "frequency" and the quantity may be given as "amplitude." (I realize that this is over simplifying the principles involved.)

As a side-note and to provide a little levity to this discussion, "What is the difference between a mud puddle and a geiser?" The answer is "enthusiasm." If this isn't exciting, I don't know what is!

In the discussion that ensued relative to intelligence and truth, we learned that intelligence is the light of truth or in other words, the light of knowledge. It would be beneficial to recognize that there is a difference in the type or "quality" of light that each possesses. (When we relate "quality" it is important not to offer the typical "superior" vs. "inferior" classifications thereto, but rather different sources.) Intelligence comes from one source and knowledge comes from another. They are different forms of light. Well we might say that one comes from the Holy Ghost and the other from the light of Christ, as will be made mention. It could be stated that one provides understanding; whereas, the other provides comprehension. Intelligence and knowledge are obtained in different manners. I should like to divert from the initial topic to elaborate scripturally upon this.

(Doctrine and Covenants 130:18-19.)

18 Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.
19 And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.

By symmetry, it should be observed that knowledge is obtained through diligence and intelligence is obtained through obedience. Knowledge is from an external source; whereas, intelligence is from an internal source. Knowledge comes from the outside in; whereas, intelligence comes (or is manifest) from the inside out. One is by virtue of the light of Christ and the other, by virtue of the Holy Ghost. One is of the mind and the other is of the heart. One is of comprehension and the other is of understanding. Intelligence is the proper application of knowledge.

Now, returning to our original topic:

(Doctrine and Covenants 93:23.)

23 Ye were also in the beginning with the Father; that which is Spirit, even the Spirit of truth;

(Doctrine and Covenants 88:6.)

6 He that ascended up on high, as also he descended below all things, in that he comprehended all things, that he might be in all and through all things, the light of truth;

(Doctrine and Covenants 93:2.)

2 And that I am the true light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world;

(Doctrine and Covenants 93:26-28.)

26 The Spirit of truth is of God. I am the Spirit of truth, and John bore record of me, saying: He received a fulness of truth, yea, even of all truth;
27 And no man receiveth a fulness unless he keepeth his commandments.
28 He that keepeth his commandments receiveth truth and light, until he is glorified in truth and knoweth all things.

(Doctrine and Covenants 88:11-13.)

11 And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings;
12 Which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space--
13 The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the law by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things.

Keying off of the principle given in verse 13 that the light of Christ is the law by which all things are governed, let us now turn our attention to that law.

(Doctrine and Covenants 88:34-40.)

34 And again, verily I say unto you, that which is governed by law is also preserved by law and perfected and sanctified by the same.
35 That which breaketh a law, and abideth not by law, but seeketh to become a law unto itself, and willeth to abide in sin, and altogether abideth in sin, cannot be sanctified by law, neither by mercy, justice, nor judgment. Therefore, they must remain filthy still.
36 All kingdoms have a law given;
37 And there are many kingdoms; for there is no space in the which there is no kingdom; and there is no kingdom in which there is no space, either a greater or a lesser kingdom.
38 And unto every kingdom is given a law; and unto every law there are certain bounds also and conditions.
39 All beings who abide not in those conditions are not justified.
40 For intelligence cleaveth unto intelligence; wisdom receiveth wisdom; truth embraceth truth; virtue loveth virtue; light cleaveth unto light; mercy hath compassion on mercy and claimeth her own; justice continueth its course and claimeth its own; judgment goeth before the face of him who sitteth upon the throne and governeth and executeth all things.

(Doctrine and Covenants 88:49.)

49 The light shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehendeth it not; nevertheless, the day shall come when you shall comprehend even God, being quickened in him and by him.

(Doctrine and Covenants 131:7-8.)

7 There is no such thing as immaterial matter. All spirit is matter, but it is more fine or pure, and can only be discerned by purer eyes;
8 We cannot see it; but when our bodies are purified we shall see that it is all matter.

The preceding scripture substantiates, I believe, that light is a particle or matter, as well.

(Doctrine and Covenants 93:33.)

33 For man is spirit. The elements are eternal, and spirit and element, inseparably connected, receive a fulness of joy;

Three Possibilities with Light:

1. Radiate
2. Reflect
3. Absorb

(Doctrine and Covenants 93:39.)

39 And that wicked one cometh and taketh away light and truth, through disobedience, from the children of men, and because of the tradition of their fathers.

(Doctrine and Covenants 88:28-32.)

28 They who are of a celestial spirit shall receive the same body which was a natural body; even ye shall receive your bodies, and your glory shall be that glory by which your bodies are quickened.
29 Ye who are quickened by a portion of the celestial glory shall then receive of the same, even a fulness.
30 And they who are quickened by a portion of the terrestrial glory shall then receive of the same, even a fulness.
31 And also they who are quickened by a portion of the telestial glory shall then receive of the same, even a fulness.
32 And they who remain shall also be quickened; nevertheless, they shall return again to their own place, to enjoy that which they are willing to receive, because they were not willing to enjoy that which they might have received.

How many flames can one match (spark) ignite? In this kind of light, there is both illumination and warmth; illumination and comfort; Light of Christ and Holy Ghost.

"I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies."

The Little Prince by St. Exupery

[Updated on: Wed, 23 January 2013 14:22]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Secret Combinations:
Next Topic: The Embryonic Powers of Godliness Within.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 18:36:34 MDT 2024