Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Calling and Election Made Sure » How You Received Your Calling and Election Made Sure » When did Joseph Smith receive his C&E? (Discussion)
When did Joseph Smith receive his C&E? [message #1834] Thu, 03 January 2013 12:07 Go to previous message
JulesGP

I have seen several different accounts between church history and the D&C where it sounds like the point Joseph Smith may have received his C&E, and there has been some discussion about it HERE.

The most common theory I'm seeing on this board is that he received it in D&C 132. I have read this one of the several accounts of the First Vision that Joseph Smith wrote, and I am wondering if he actually received it here:

Quote:
In 1820:

"The Lord heard me cry in the wilderness and while in the attitude of calling upon the Lord in the 16th year of my age a pillar of light above the brightness of the sun at noon day come down from above and rested upon me. I was filled with the spirit of God and the Lord opened the heavens upon me and I saw the Lord.

He spake unto me saying, Joseph my son thy sins are forgiven thee. Go thy way, walk in my statutes and keep my commandments. Behold I am the Lord of Glory. I was crucifyed for the world that all those who believe on my name may have Eternal life. Behold the world lieth in sin at this time and none doeth good, no not one. They have turned aside from the gospel and keep not my commandments. They draw near to me with their lips while their hearts are far from me and mine anger is kindling against the inhabitants of earth to visit them according to their ungodliness and to bring to pass that which hath been spoken by the mouth of the prophets and Apostles. Behold and lo, I come quickly as it is written of me, in the cloud clothed in the glory of my Father."

This is similar to what Enos was told:

Quote:
5 And there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.

6 And I, Enos, knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away.

7 And I said: Lord, how is it done?

8 And he said unto me: Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen. And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee whole.

I realize that forgiveness of one's sins in itself does not necessarily equate to C&E. However, it seems that the LORD does not just willy nilly - come and tell people their sins have been forgiven. It seems that when He comes to someone and delivers that message, it is associated with greater things - like becoming "blessed" as Enos was. We know the character of JS, and that from then on, his life was devoted to the Lord. And the fact that the Father and the Son came to him in vision this way and revealed that knowledge to JS, seems to imply "greater things" as I said above, and mean more than just saying the few sins of a good young man are forgiven.

A year later, Joseph Smith had another vision, in which he was reminded of the same thing the Father and the Son told him:

Quote:
"And it came to pass when I was seventeen years of age, I called again upon the Lord and he shewed unto me a heavenly vision. For behold an angel of the Lord came and stood before me. It was by night and he called me by name and he said the Lord had forgiven me my sins. He revealed unto me that in the Town of Manchester, Ontario County, New York, there was plates of gold upon which there was engravings which was engraven by Maroni and his fathers, the servants of the living God in Ancient days, deposited by the commandments of God and kept by the power thereof and that I should go and get them. He revealed unto me many things concerning the inhabitants of the earth which since have been revealed in commandments and revelations."

So it seems that he was being given his "Calling" here by this angel, after being reminded that He was favored of the Lord and had experienced the mighty change, and baptism by fire and the Holy Ghost.

What say ye?

~Jules

[Updated on: Thu, 03 January 2013 12:08]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message