Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Angels, Demons, Miracles and the like... » Dreams and Visions » Colors
Re: Colors [message #813 is a reply to message #809] Fri, 03 August 2012 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Denryu is currently offline  Denryu
Dragon wrote on Thu, 02 August 2012 16:06
I wish every LDS Church member were open to such things. I often wish the Cultural Hall could be used for a Martial Arts AND Meditation class three times a week. Imagine a Stake calling as the Stake Martial Arts instructor! I can see so much value in that, but sadly understand why the church has not made it happen.

Indeed. My martial arts instructor did consider his teaching as his church calling. He did not charge for his classes, probably dedicated in excess of 20 hours per week to teaching in addition to continuing his own study and practise.

I learned so much, not just through meditation but thru the use of koans. I don't know if you are familiar or if they were used in your art, but it is a Buddhist practice of asking a seemingly nonsense question. Sometimes there is a "right" answer, but more often it was an exercise in teaching the student to look for meaning within the apparently meaningless. Perhaps the most well-known is "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" which my sensei expanded to include "when do you hear it and why?"

I worked that question over for six months, returning to discuss with my instructor every few weeks. He never gave anything away (which in itself held a valuable lesson!) His feedback was usually "You are on the right track, but you are not there yet." or "Hmmm, that is interesting. I had not thought of that. Thank you for teaching me something." or rarely "That is a useful insight, but not on the right track".

One thing I learned is he could have "taught" me the correct answer in 20 seconds. But I would have learned NOTHING. Which is why I cannot give the answer to the above, and if one looks up an answer on Google they are robbing themselves.

I also found that if there was a scripture that I felt I wasn;t understanding properly, I could take the same technique for some truly great results. I usually came to understand a scripture that I "worked thru" in this way better than almost any other.

The East was definitely given their own light and knowledge which we would be wise to learn from. Not to displace the Gospel, of course - but it is not always either/or.

Libertas optimas rarem, nunquam servili sub nexu.
"There is no gift like Liberty, therefore never live under slavery."

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message