Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Discuss Elliaison Books and Articles » The Fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ » Who doeth Good Among Men? ("Good Intentions" might lead to "bad" results)
Re: Who doeth Good Among Men? [message #759 is a reply to message #757] Sun, 29 July 2012 13:40 Go to previous message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Amonhi,
Your reply certainly added the details I left out. The reasons for my intentional omission are not relevant. However, there is one aspect of this which is not covered. Someone might mistakenly interpret these things to mean those who are good will be saved, and the evil cannot become good. I think it is instructive to look at what happens when someone decides to improve themselves.

For a random example, let's say a person is being promiscuous because they were never taught not to. There is a little voice in their head which bugs them at first, but they learn to ignore it. At some point, an event happens. Perhaps someone they love dies, or they see how their actions hurt someone else, or they hear a sermon in Church which finally gets through to their heart. They, being evil, cannot do that which is good, because they are not ready for the fulness. But something happens and they are ready for a part, or as you said, preparatory gospel. It's not the whole thing, just enough to help them find their way from sin to sorrow for sin.

It is here where a second turning point must come. In order to accept the fulness of the gospel they must be willing to cast aside their desires to do evil and desire from that day forth to do good continually. Then, and only then, can they be truly good and no longer evil.

It has been said General Conference is fairly repetitive. The Prophets keep saying the same things. The answer why is found in a flippant reply: "The Prophets will keep saying the same old thing until the same old sinners stop sinning the same old sins." This tells me there are many in the LDS Church who still desire to do evil at some level or another. Otherwise, the Prophets would change their tune.

- Dragon

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Greater Than Gold
Next Topic: A Major Theme of the Book of Mormon - The Second Comforter Introduction
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 17:38:20 MDT 2024