Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Current Church Doctrine » Believe vs Know (What does it really take to KNOW something/)
Believe vs Know [message #666] Wed, 18 July 2012 14:29 Go to previous message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Jules
we are still just acting on faith unless the Holy Ghost ratifies it and makes it TRUTH, and gives us that sure knowledge.

While studying Alma 32 for this week's Gospel Doctrine class, I noted Alma's definition of sure knowledge goes beyond a witness by the Holy Ghost. He says we must act on the knowledge we receive. I mention this, because I am pondering within on these meanings, and your post was the first I came across which used the common phrase/idea that once the Holy Ghost testifies to us, we KNOW.

Yet, as a God loving Christian, I believe only that which the Holy Ghost has told me. For instance, I believe Thomas S. Monson is a true prophet of God. The Holy Ghost has told me so, but I have never met the man. I have heard his words, and seen his image, but I have never stood in his presence and felt of his essence. I know he teaches good things, and leads the people well, because I have experienced these things.

I KNOW the Book of Mormon is true because I have studied its teachings and applied them in my life. I have seen the fruit of its words grow within me. If you ask any investigator whether they believe the Book of Mormon is true, those who have not received the witness of the Holy Ghost will say no, while those who have will say yes.

I guess where I stand today would be a witness from the Holy Ghost helps us to believe, or gives us cause to believe. It is only when we act on that witness when we grow from desire to believe, to belief, to knowledge, to perfect knowledge.

This concept is still solidifying in my mind, and I need feedback and input upon it.

Thank you.

- Dragon

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message