Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Current Church Doctrine » Article of Faith 11 (What does this mean to us today?)
Article of Faith 11 [message #502] Sun, 17 June 2012 12:13 Go to previous message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
"Article of Faith 11"
"We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may." - Article of Faith 11

"Joseph Smith"
"Elder Pelatiah Brown, one of the wisest old heads we have among us, and whom I now see before me, has been preaching concerning the beast which was full of eyes before and behind; and for this he was hauled up for trial before the High Council.

I did not like the old man being called for erring in doctrine. It looks too much like the Methodists, and not like the Latter-day Saints. Methodists have creeds which a man must believe or be asked out of their church. I WANT THE LIBERTY OF THINKING AND BELIEVING AS I PLEASE. IT FEELS GOOD NOT TO BE TRAMMELED. IT DOES NOT PROVE THAT A MAN IS NOT A GOOD MAN BECAUSE HE ERRS IN DOCTRINE." - History of the Church, Vol. 5, p. 340

How does the church maintain this freedom of thought today?

~ Seeker

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Being Childlike
Next Topic: Right and Wrong
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 12:04:13 MDT 2024