Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Scripture Discussion » The Book of Mormon » King Benjamin's Address (What was King Benjamin really saying and why is it so powerful?)
King Benjamin's Address [message #474] Mon, 11 June 2012 01:02 Go to previous message
Amonhi is currently offline  Amonhi
In his famous address, King Benjamin says, "The things which I shall tell you are made known unto me by an angel from God." Mosiah 3:2

There is an incredible treasure trove of insight and information the ensuing chapters.

And in Chapter 5 we read that King Benjamin wanted to know how the message was received. The people respond unanimously saying, "Yea, we believe all the words which thou hast spoken unto us; and also, we know of their surety and truth, because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually." Mosiah 5:2

So, between Mosiah 3:2 and 5:2 we find the information required for all the people to experience a mighty change of heart. I do believe that if you do not also experience the mighty change in heart while reading Chapters 3-4 then you do not understand the great message being shared.

I also, from experience, believe that a great many have read these chapters using the filter of their own understanding and so have greatly misinterpreted the plain and simple truths found here.

Did you notice that they received a remission of sins at the time of their conversion, after praying for forgiveness without an ordinance being performed; and later they made a covenant to take upon them the name of Christ, (much like we do through baptism), and those who made this covenant had their names taken, (like we record the names of those who are baptized)?

"And it came to pass that after they had spoken these words the Spirit of the Lord came upon them, and they were filled with joy, having received a remission of their sins..." Mosiah 4:3

"And we are willing to enter into a covenant with our God to do his will, and to be obedient to his commandments in all things that he shall command us, all the remainder of our days..." - Mosiah 5:5

"And now, king Benjamin thought it was expedient, after having finished speaking to the people, that he should take the names of all those who had entered into a covenant with God to keep his commandments." Mosiah 6:1

There is a pattern in which we see King Benjamin teach and then the people respond to the teachings, then he teaches again and they respond again.

Let's match up King Benjamin's teachings with the peoples responses and see what non-obvious insights we can gain...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Next Topic: Helaman 5 - Crying unto the voice
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 12:55:29 MDT 2024