Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Sunday Preparation - Talks & Lessons » Lesson on Christmas (The notes I collected in preparing for a Sunday School lesson on Christmas)
Re: Lesson on Christmas [message #2168 is a reply to message #1783] Sun, 03 February 2013 01:53 Go to previous message
Ashleyd is currently offline  Ashleyd
I believe the intent of the heart matters most. The truth is, you can take most traditions and trace any of them back to "pagan origins". The Pagans defiled Holy things by worshiping the symbols instead of what the symbols pointed to. They worshiped the Celestial bodies in the sky instead of what those bodies represented. All things that are created by God glorify and point to our Maker. There are eternal truths to be found in all things if we have eyes to see but it does require the spirit. Symbols are meant to teach us and lead us closer to Christ. Can any "thing" be good or evil on it's own? I don't think so. It has to do more with the intent of our hearts and where our focus is. This year I changed our Christmas tree. I decorated it all in white, glass and silver with white lights. It was beautiful. I told my children that it represented the tree of life and that the white bulbs and flowers represented the fruit that is white above all that is white and sweet above all that is sweet. I told them it represented the Love of God which shedeth itself abroad among the hearts of the children of men. The silver on the tree represented the spirit. There is personal significance to that, that some close to me will understand. Smile And the glass represented a few different things including Celestial worlds. At the top was placed a white star which I told them was made to represent the star that appeared as a sign of the Saviors birth to the world. I felt it added a nice spirit to our home. And it gave me opportunities to teach my children more about Christ through symbols and visuals.

[Updated on: Sun, 03 February 2013 01:57]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Gospel Doctrine Book of Mormon Lesson 42
Next Topic: Gospel Doctrine D&C 8
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 15:49:35 MDT 2024