Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » What Books Should be Studied as Scripture? (Recent Discoveries of Ancient Scripture...)
What Books Should be Studied as Scripture? [message #304] Mon, 25 April 2011 16:47 Go to previous message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Last weekend I watched a documentary on "The Gospel of Judas". This is a book which was considered scripture by some ancient Christians but which was denounced by the Catholic Church and destroyed, as best as possible. Remarkably a single copy of this book survived the Catholic destruction and was found almost 2000 years later when it would be protected, valued and translated.

This isn't the only book. Tons of Early Christian scriptures have been found like the Gospel of Thomas, The Gospel of Mary, the Book of Enoch and many others.

In fact, when ever I hear someone say that the Bible is the only word of God and it is complete I strain not to laugh. I can't comprehend that anyone who knows the history of the bible and how the various books were selected could believe that no other book can be scripture.

I particularly find it interesting that there are a number of books called the "lost books" which are referenced in the bible but are not part of the bible. Even Christ refers to books that are true scripture which are not part of the current Bible. So if the bible says they are scripture does that mean they are?

The problem is that they are or were lost. Destroyed by the Catholic Church in an effort to purify the doctrine and prevent doctrines that do not support the church and it's positions from being taught.

Then some books made it into the Bible that have no real scripture/inspirational value like "The Songs of Solomon".

Now, in our lifetime, many of the "lost Books" that are referenced in the bible as being scripture, have been found and translated.

These "Lost Books" were often found in collections with other books not mentioned in the bible. All these books were sealed up with care to preserve them for some distant future when they could safely be discovered and made available. This means that the people who considered the "Lost Books" to be scripture also considered these other books to be valuable scripture.

Should we consider the "lost books" and other books to be scripture equal to the bible?

Should they be added to the cannon of scripture?

Should we study them as if they were scripture?

~ Seeker

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message