Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » The Possibility of Reincarnation (Does Church Doctrine allow for the existence of Reincarnation?)
Re: The Possibility of Reincarnation [message #388 is a reply to message #259] Sat, 26 May 2012 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Eve_ is currently offline  Eve_
I do not believe we come back for multiple probations. Here is my reasoning: We were sent here to be tested, to see what we would do blindfolded. We are what we are, and no matter how many times we're born we'll do the exact same thing each time. It's an uncovering of our real selves, the selves that were hidden from us in the premortal life. (How many of us truly know ourselves even here?)

How do I then justify some of Brigham Young's comments? I don't. I have a very unpopular opinion of Brigham Young and his actual ability to speak the words of God to the people. He was not ordained to be a prophet by anyone, least of of Jesus, Himself. He had a right to rule, to be the president of the church because of the law of common consent. He pretended to no authority from the personal hand of Christ. And that is all I'll say about my opinion on him.

What about the doctrine of eternal lives? Well, as taught in the current church it seems to be talking about eternal increase (having children who then have children, etc.). ... But ...

I do think it is possible, for us to have incarnations elsewhere. For example, Joseph's reported teaching about the Holy Ghost. I'm not sure how to explain my views, but I'll try. We were all on a form of probation in the Spirit world. Some lost that. The Holy Ghost, like Jesus, is not going to lose that spiritual probation. Then, we move on to this mortal life. If we keep this one, then we may move on to another existence in some other substance, just like intelligence is a different physical substance from spirit which is different from the body we have now which is different from the bodies we'll have after we're resurrected.

So - intelligence > spirit > mortal body > resurrected body > ? > ? > ? And most people have a stop-off in the spirit world between mortality and the resurrection, but not all people do.

Anyway, that's my take on it. But I'll not argue your freedom to believe as you choose.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message