Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » The Possibility of Reincarnation (Does Church Doctrine allow for the existence of Reincarnation?)
Re: The Possibility of Reincarnation [message #3601 is a reply to message #3599] Thu, 08 March 2018 21:11 Go to previous message
The Airbender is currently offline  The Airbender
I had the idea of "multiple mortalities" first mentioned to me by a friend who told me he wondered whether or not we would become like Adam, and whether Adam would become like the Savior.

There are multiple references in the Journal of Discourses to the idea of being translated and then returning to mortality, the being translated or resurrected again. This was the idea that Brigham Young insisted on. He said that Adam had already lived on another Earth and then after creating his own posterity spiritually, he came down to an Earth to partake of mortal food in order to provide mortal bodies for his spirit children. Then, he partook of celestial food again and his body returned to a celestial state.

There is much to consider and I could look for the references if anyone else is interested. After hearing the vague idea from my friend, I could not get it out of the back of my mind and spent much time considering and pondering what might be the path for us after this life.

I don't remember exactly when or how, but I came to the conclusion that after this life we will have to do what our Savior did and then later we will have to do what Adam did, and then we can become as the Gods are.

I recently had my ideas corroborated by another person who laid out the idea of 8 probations that rang true to me.

There is no "reincarnation" in this idea. There are no "do-overs." Rather, if at any point we fail, we remain in the state we were in and no longer progress. I have come to see this as what is meant by "eternal progression."

The idea is that we work our way up to eventually become like God all the while proving ourselves and helping those below us.

1st Estate: We are taken as naked intelligences and organized into bodies of spirit. This idea is very clearly explained by Cleon Skousen in his essay My Personal Search for the Meaning of the Atonement. He says that he learned what he wrote in that article from John A. Widstoe.

2nd Estate: Mortality/Telestial state. We are sent to receive a physical body and be tested whether we will follow God or Satan, whether we care more about treasures on Earth or treasures in heaven. In other words, this life.

3rd Estate: The millenium or millenial/terrestrial state.

Now, this is where things get pretty crazy and disconnected from what we understand as Canonized LDS doctrine.

4th Estate: Those who have passed the first three estates are then sent back as messengers or servants of the Lord to help those passing through their second estate. I don't understand too much of what this means, you'd have to ask the person who shared it with me. However, it does explain how Peter James and John very obviously shake hands with Adam when according to our understanding the would not have had bodies yet, right? It also gives us a clue as to how someone can actually rise up and become perfect before coming to an Earth as a savior.

5th Estate: Messiah of a world. As I understand it, this person actually descends to the world three times and on the third time, he performs the atonement as the savior. I find it interesting that according to what I have been shown, Melchizedek was actually Jesus Christ, but on a previous mortal life. You can take it or leave it, but for me personally, it explains some important things. I have heard that Melchizedek was perfect, and that always confused me. Now it doesn't.

6th Estate: Ancient of Days, King of a world. This is the time when the person actually comes to a world to begin the process of creating bodies for the spirit children that he has created, as did Adam.

7th Estate: This would be where Adam goes after he has finished his work of creating bodies for his children. He would be a King of Kings, or God of gods. He would guide his children in creating worlds for children of their own.

8th Estate: This is the point at which we join the Elohim in the Celestial circuit of worlds and go in to no more go out. We would be Gods of Gods and among those who have achieved the highest level of exaltation (at least that we can fathom at this point)

So, take that for what it is worth. It is one of those topics that burns deep within me and has much to consider. I'm not claiming that this is THE truth or that I have been taught it completely. Mostly I have just had little impressions and persons wiser than me have taught me things that I found interesting.

God knows, though. We can ask Him if we want to know more about it.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message