Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » The Possibility of Reincarnation (Does Church Doctrine allow for the existence of Reincarnation?)
Re: The Possibility of Reincarnation [message #1994 is a reply to message #259] Wed, 16 January 2013 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
rdwhitaker is currently offline  rdwhitaker
I purchased the book "The Doctrine of Eternal Lives" and started reading it. The more I read, the more it became apparent to me that it was trying to insinuate false doctrine. It committed the same errors we preach against many other churches for doing - wresting the scriptures to try to make them say something they do not. The scriptures say "The Father and I are one." Many churches use that as proof positive that God the Father and Jesus Christ are one being. The scriptures say "God is spirit". They say that is proof positive that God does not have a corporeal body. I see the author of this book doing exactly the same thing. Just because a quote 'could' mean something doesn't mean it actually does. In many instances the reader has to make some real stretches to fit the quote into the meaning the author intends us to grasp. Too far in my opinion. I ended up throwing the book away. It left too dark an impression on my mind.

I found a book review by someone on latterdaycommentary.com that I liked. http://latterdaycommentary.com/2012/06/24/the-doctrine-of-eternal-lives/ One part from it says,

"A Dangerous and Damning Belief

"Why is a belief in reincarnation so dangerous? To believe in reincarnation is to take away the focus and incentive we should have to make every moment of this life count in preparation for our continued schooling in the life to come. If one believes they will be given another chance then there is no real desire to do one's best. Why knock yourself out if you can do it over again?

"We are born once, we die once (Heb 9:27) and we are resurrected once to die no more (Alma 11:45 & 12:18). That's the doctrine of the church as taught by the Lord through the prophet Joseph Smith in scripture that we as a church have accepted as binding. Anything other than that is dangerous and damning because it prevents us from progressing in this life as we should.

"In the words of Bruce R McConkie, reincarnation "is a false doctrine originating with the devil. It runs counter to the whole system and plan of salvation whereunder spirits are born in pre-existence, are permitted to pass through a mortal probation, and then in due course become immortal, incorruptible, and eternal in nature." As a church, we do not believe in reincarnation."

Ryan

Don't . . . Quit . . . Trying!!

[Updated on: Wed, 16 January 2013 09:31]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message