Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » The Possibility of Reincarnation (Does Church Doctrine allow for the existence of Reincarnation?)
Re: The Possibility of Reincarnation [message #1060 is a reply to message #1058] Sat, 01 September 2012 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Mormonhah,
Excellent question. The answer starts with the definition of pre-mortal existence. What exactly did we experience before the life we are living now? How did we progress from a bare intelligence to have the capability to control our bodies and reason? What is Creation, and how do we 'return and report'?

If an intelligence is a form of pure energy, which is 'created' into matter through a process we don't presently understand, that intelligence would learn to control matter, and obey the laws which God has placed over that matter. The laws of quantum mechanics, as mortal minds comprehend it, show the tiniest particles of matter do not all act the same, and they do not always do the same thing when run through the same experiment repeatedly. What's more, they appear to sense the desires of the one conducting the tests, and more often than not, bend to that will. Does this sound like a being learning to control matter? Making choices, mistakes, and exercising agency? When that particle is destroyed, energy is released, and perhaps it returns to that God which gave it matter, and reports on what it learned.

Larger particles, known as atoms, have a varying number of smaller particles within them. The electrons still behave in a semi-predictable and erratic behavior. The behavior of the atoms as a whole are still controlled by the law of averages, meaning not all of the atoms will react when placed in a certain environment. Chemistry shows us this, and studies what reactions happen. Again, we have seemingly identical particles behaving differently. It is more predictable, but still not certain. When atoms or chemicals are destroyed, they release varying amounts of energy. Perhaps that energy returns to the God who gave them matter, and reports on what they learned.

Large formations of matter, from stones and rivers, to mountains, planets, and stars. do not appear to our view to act, but are acted upon. Perhaps if we had a long enough perspective, we could see how similar rocks or rivers react differently to the same conditions. Some stars burn out more quickly than others, along a relatively predictable pattern. However, we do not know until it has happened exactly how much stress a rock can withstand before being crushed. We cannot say with great accuracy which direction a river will take to change its course. We are starting to learn how planets are formed, why some support life and others do not. No scientist can say how soon the star Betelgeuse will 'die' and become a white dwarf star. The best we can say is, some time in the next 500,000 years (a very short time for a star). That is like saying an old man will probably die in the next two weeks. But these things do die. They are destroyed. Sometimes the energy released is visible, as in the case of a star, and sometimes it is not. But whatever energy controlled that object probably returns to the God which gave it form and reports on what it learned.

The tiniest of creatures, which are smaller than bacteria, behave in a somewhat predictable manner. But we cannot say for certain how a give organism, from a prion to a giraffe, will react in a given environment. Some creatures will survive a storm while others will not. Some live through a drought, and some don't. They makes choices, and when they die, they return to that God who gave them life and report.

The concept of reincarnation as I understand it, begins when that being reports to God on their experiences. Some believe the atom, rock, tree, or rabbit, are then given entrance into one of the three kingdoms. I will admit, necessity requires it to be so. Some of the creatures decide they have progressed as far as they can, and select a kingdom of glory to inhabit forever. I believe others choose to progress onward. They decide to accept the next mortal experience. Whatever they need to keep progressing, they decide what their next experience should be. This is done in the presence of, and with the council of God.

As it was with me, I know it is much easier to accept the idea we may have passed through these phases of progression prior to this life than it is to accept the possibilities we have had human lives before this one. So the following observations may help clarify the boundaries of this opportunity for multiple human lives.

First and foremost, this life, which you are living now, is sufficiently long and sufficiently rich in experience to allow you to obtain exaltation and eternal progression. Thus, THIS life is the time for men to prepare to meet God.

Secondly, Alma taught only the righteous, or the Celestial beings were resurrected at the time when Christ was resurrected. This means Terrestrial beings who lived prior to the time of Christ have not faced their final judgement.

Third, there IS a final judgement, which takes place after the millennium of peace, and after the 'short' period of war which follows. We do not have an infinite number of opportunities.

Additionally, I do not believe there is any reason a human being would be reincarnated as anything else. Human is the final state prior to exaltation. We are presently in the physical form of God, which means no other physical form will aid us in progression.

I'm not saying everyone chooses a second human life, and I AM saying a second human life is not necessary to achieve our greatest glory. It is likely rare, but I cannot know this for certain. Many have memories of their past life. I grew up believing I had been on earth as a human before. It was drummed out of me for awhile, but I have once more embraced the concept and the memories. Whether our previous human life was cut short through accident, our own sins, or the sins of others, a spirit which does not get enough time to prove themselves must get another chance. Those who live mostly good lives, but make a mistake or two which prevents their exaltation, might be given an opportunity to take what they have learned and try again.

I hope this sufficiently explains the concept of reincarnation as I understand it.

- Dragon

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message