Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Calling and Election Made Sure » How You Received Your Calling and Election Made Sure » scripture references of experiences of others having their C&E made
Re: scripture references of experiences of others having their C&E made [message #1211 is a reply to message #1195] Mon, 08 October 2012 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zephyr is currently offline  zephyr
Jules, glad you are indulging in your hobby, this is a very interesting thread.

I would like to comment on Nephi, from Helaman 10.

Christ used the term "blessed" for those who come unto him because they will have eternal life. (See 3 Neph 9:13-14; Enos 1:5). Because of that, I believe that it was in verse five that he received C&E:

Quote:
4 Blessed art thou, Nephi,for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with unwearyingness declared the word, which I have given unto thee, unto this people. And thou hast not feared them, and hast not sought thine own life, but hast sought my will, and to keep my commandments. [this sounds like Joseph Smith's description of those who receive C&E]

5 And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will.
(Helaman 10:4-5)

Nephi's experience illustrates another point about C&E. This occurred while he was on his way home. He wasn't in the temple, there were no heavenly messengers present (seen anyway), no one laid hands on him, he simply heard the voice of the Lord as he walked down the road.
Re: scripture references of experiences of others having their C&E made [message #1220 is a reply to message #537] Wed, 10 October 2012 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dimiwill
I am very sorry if this has already been addressed, but I really agree with the following point made by Bishop.

bishop wrote on Sun, 24 June 2012 14:21
So my point is that the Book of Mormon is all about how to receive one's CE and the Second Comforter. This is why the prophets and apostles today preach until they're blue in the face that we must study the scriptures-especially the Book of Mormon; because it will teach us how to come unto Christ [Second Comforter]. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has the purpose of bringing all men unto Christ [receive the Second Comforter]. The temple endowment shows the steps we must take to penetrate the veil and enter into the presence of Christ [Second Comforter]. The biggest hurdle to receiving this blessing is our own unbelief [aka lack of faith]. So I join in with others to testify that we are "they" to whom the Book of Mormon was written and it admonishes us to exercise our faith to receive our CE and the Second Comforter so that we can dwell in his presence now and be prepared for his coming. Age and experience were not a factor in the lives of Nephi, Jacob, and Mormon. But faith was the determinant.

In fact, if we look at the very first verse in the Book of Mormon, we read that this amazing book clearly begins by acknowledging that the first author (Nephi) has already learned the 'mysteries' of God (a C&E has already been received) prior to starting to write his history.

1 Nephi 1:1
I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.

It is no coincidence that because Nephi had a "great knowledge" of "the mysteries of God" that he made "a record of [his] proceedings in [his] days." This record starts with someone who has received their C&E (and probably the Second Comforter at this point) and then immediately proceeds to describe right from the start his own father's receipt of at least the C&E.

1 Nephi 1:8
And being thus overcome with the Spirit, he was carried away in a vision, even that he saw the heavens open, and he thought he saw God sitting upon his throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels in the attitude of singing and praising their God.

These are pretty amazing events, and they are mentioned right from the very start of the text. How amazing is that. Yea, Nephi gets to the chase already in verse one and continues through verses 6-8. Obviously, we are meant to notice these things right from the beginning, assuming that our eyes are opened. If Nephi mentioned so much just in the very first chapter, he intended the reader to see if from the start!

Now what is even cooler is how Nephi ends his second book.

2 Nephi 33:15
For what I seal on earth, shall be brought against you at the judgment bar; for thus hath the Lord commanded me, and I must obey. Amen.

Can we see that Nephi has the highest priesthood, the sealing power? He makes this clear as he seals his writings before God and us.

And then just in the second to last chapter, Nephi starts to conclude his final message with an instruction of receiving the Second Comforter and then learning the mysteries of God. But, we are also given a warning to protect such mysteries once revealed to us.

2 Nephi 32:6
Behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and there will be no more doctrine given until after he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh. And when he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh, the things which he shall say unto you shall ye observe to do.

What an amazing Prophet of God. What an amazing book that he started just for our benefit. How could we miss so many obvious points telling us to seek greater things from our Heavenly Father?

And don't worry, I know that a lot on this Forum know far more than I do about this topic. So, feel free to correct me all that you want, I won't be offended but I will be appreciative of the response and the instruction! Even name calling will be taken constructively. Razz
Re: scripture references of experiences of others having their C&E made [message #1265 is a reply to message #1220] Sat, 13 October 2012 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dimiwill, your insights are appreciated. From my observation, hardly anyone knows these things, probably because the subject gets so little attention in Sunday meetings. I read the Book of Mormon over 20 times and never caught on. Keep spreading the word.

In addition to being a manual for C&E etc., The Book of Mormon also demonstrates that these things don't take a life time to achieve. Look at how short the conversion stories are (time wise).
How long was it from Nephi's experience of receiving a witness that his father's words were true until seeing an angel?

How long did it take Alma to go from being one of the "vilest" of sinners to seeing God?

[Updated on: Sat, 13 October 2012 23:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: scripture references of experiences of others having their C&E made [message #1462 is a reply to message #1265] Sun, 18 November 2012 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

We talked about the multitude in 3rd/4th Nephi today in Gospel Doctrine class, and I got "shot down" for pointing these things out there, but I'm going to post it here Very Happy .

This group of people accepted the fullness of the Gospel as a whole, and lived together as a "Zion society" - living the higher laws and living as the City of Enoch did for 200 years before they began to crumble apart.

In 4 Nephi:
Quote:
1 And it came to pass that the thirty and fourth year passed away, and also the thirty and fifth, and behold the disciples of Jesus had formed a church of Christ in all the lands round about. And as many as did come unto them, and did truly repent of their sins, were baptized in the name of Jesus; and they did also receive the Holy Ghost.

They did more than just the symbolic motions, they TRULY went through the spiritual ordinances.

Quote:
2 And it came to pass in the thirty and sixth year, the people were all converted unto the Lord, upon all the face of the land, both Nephites and Lamanites, and there were no contentions and disputations among them, and every man did deal justly one with another.

They were CONVERTED UNTO THE LORD - that says a lot in just that one line.

Quote:
3 And they had all things common among them; therefore there were not rich and poor, bond and free, but they were all made free, and partakers of the heavenly gift.

The had "all things common among them" - as opposed to verse 26 where the society was breaking up and they "began to be divided into classes".

Also, they were "partakers of the heavenly gift" which is clarified here:

Quote:
JST, Hebrews 6:4
4 For he hath made it impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

Then in verse 12, it illustrates that they were now living the higher law:

Quote:
12 And they did not walk any more after the performances and ordinances of the law of Moses; but they did walk after the commandments which they had received from their Lord and their God, continuing in fasting and prayer, and in meeting together oft both to pray and to hear the word of the Lord.

They were no longer performing the ordinances under the lower law of Moses, but living the higher law that was given to them.

~Jules
Re: scripture references of experiences of others having their C&E made [message #1463 is a reply to message #1462] Sun, 18 November 2012 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Jules,
I'm wondering if you considered posting this under another topic: http://www.elliaison.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=233&start=0&rid=9&S=5a442746b6d0c4a2af8c26890625ca8c
I understand it is applicable to both.

Yes, I agree with you that these people nearly all, if not all, had received their Calling and Election Made Sure. Luckily, we do touch on these subjects in our class without derision.

- Dragon
Re: scripture references of experiences of others having their C&E made [message #1481 is a reply to message #1463] Fri, 23 November 2012 19:22 Go to previous message
I know that I shall be lifted up at the last day.
(Mormon 2:19)
Previous Topic: When did I know?
Next Topic: The greatest wedding gift ever!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:38:27 MDT 2024