Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » Polygamy: The Exception and NOT the Rule (And no man taketh this honour unto himself . . . .)
Polygamy: The Exception and NOT the Rule [message #3739] Mon, 25 November 2019 14:21 Go to next message
brrgilbert is currently offline  brrgilbert
From the three accounts of Creation:

Quote:
Genesis 2:
¶ And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
Quote:
Moses 3:18
Pearl of Great Price

18 And I, the Lord God, said unto mine Only Begotten, that it was not good that the man should be alone; wherefore, I will make an help meet for him.
Quote:
Abraham 5:14
Pearl of Great Price

14 And the Gods said: Let us make an help meet for the man, for it is not good that the man should be alone, therefore we will form an help meet for him.
And so, some have implied that Polygamy is the "RULE" when it comes to Celestial Glory. This is not the case. A couple can be "exalted" in the highest realm of Celestial Glory without participating or having anything to do with it.

Quote:
Genesis 2:
24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Note that the reference is "singular" and not "plural" for wife.

When God presented Eve to Adam in the Garden of Eden, death had not yet entered into the world; therefore, the relationship was meant to be forever; eternal. In fact, the following is given to substantiate this:

Quote:
Ecclesiastes 3:
14 I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him.
. . . and no man taketh this honor unto himself. In fact, it is well that no man even consider the proposition, but be well settled in the notion and dedication to his "chosen," else wise, sin lieth at the door. It was etched in stone by the finger of God, (and note that it is, again, in the singular when it comes to "wife:"

Quote:
Exodus 20:
17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
It was reiterated in the Book of Mormon:

Quote:
Mosiah 13:24
Book of Mormon

24 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his man-servant, nor his maid-servant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbor's.
Nor his daughter or son . . . . To lust is to covet. Happy is that man or woman who is content with whom they have chosen.

It is an "exception" and NOT the "rule" based upon the Lord's criteria and NOT our own:

Quote:
Jacob 2:
23 But the word of God burdens me because of your grosser crimes. For behold, thus saith the Lord: This people begin to wax in iniquity; they understand not the scriptures, for they seek to excuse themselves in committing whoredoms, because of the things which were written concerning David, and Solomon his son.
24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.
25 Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph.
26 Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old.
27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be bone wife; and concubines he shall have none;
28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.
29 Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or cursed be the land for their sakes.
30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.
31 For behold, I, the Lord, have seen the sorrow, and heard the mourning of the daughters of my people in the land of Jerusalem, yea, and in all the lands of my people, because of the wickedness and abominations of their husbands.
32 And I will not suffer, saith the Lord of Hosts, that the cries of the fair daughters of this people, which I have led out of the land of Jerusalem, shall come up unto me against the men of my people, saith the Lord of Hosts.
33 For they shall not lead away captive the daughters of my people because of their tenderness, save I shall visit them with a sore curse, even unto destruction; for they shall not commit whoredoms, like unto them of old, saith the Lord of Hosts.
34 And now behold, my brethren, ye know that these commandments were given to our father, Lehi; wherefore, ye have known them before; and ye have come unto great condemnation; for ye have done these things which ye ought not to have done.
35 Behold, ye have done greater iniquities than the Lamanites, our brethren. Ye have broken the hearts of your tender wives, and lost the confidence of your children, because of your bad examples before them; and the sobbings of their hearts ascend up to God against you. And because of the strictness of the word of God, which cometh down against you, many hearts died, pierced with deep wounds.
And to further cement the "RULE:"

Quote:
Jacob 3:
5 Behold, the Lamanites your brethren, whom ye hate because of their filthiness and the cursing which hath come upon their skins, are more righteous than you; for they have not forgotten the commandment of the Lord, which was given unto our father--that they should have save it were one wife, and concubines they should have none, and there should not be whoredoms committed among them.
6 And now, this commandment they observe to keep; wherefore, because of this observance, in keeping this commandment, the Lord God will not destroy them, but will be merciful unto them; and one day they shall become a blessed people.
It is a whoredom and wicked to "keep looking" when a covenant and choice has been made by supposing that there is futurity in any way, shape or form of this practice.

"I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies."

The Little Prince by St. Exupery
Re: Polygamy: The Exception and NOT the Rule [message #3740 is a reply to message #3739] Mon, 25 November 2019 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
2 Samuel 12:
1 And the Lord sent unto David. And he came unto him, and said unto him, There were two men in one city; the one rich, and the other poor.
2 The rich man had exceeding many flocks and herds:
3 But the poor man had nothing, save one little ewe lamb, which he had bought and nourished up: and it grew up together with him, and with his children; it did eat of his own meat, and drank of his own cup, and lay in his bosom, and was unto him as a daughter.
4 And there came a traveller unto the rich man, and he spared to take of his own flock and of his own herd, to dress for the wayfaring man that was come unto him; but took the poor man's lamb, and dressed it for the man that was come to him.
5 And David's anger was greatly kindled against the man; and he said to Nathan, As the Lord liveth, the man that hath done this thing shall surely die:
6 And he shall restore the lamb fourfold, because he did this thing, and because he had no pity.
7 And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul;
8 And I gave thee thy master's (Saul's) house, and thy master's (Saul's) wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.
9 Wherefore hast thou despised the commandment of the Lord, to do evil in his sight? thou hast killed Uriah the Hittite with the sword, and hast taken his wife to be thy wife, and hast slain him with the sword of the children of Ammon.
10 Now therefore the sword shall never depart from thine house; because thou hast despised me, and hast taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be thy wife.
11 Thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will raise up evil against thee out of thine own house, and I will take thy wives before thine eyes, and give them unto thy neighbour, and he shall lie with thy wives in the sight of this sun.
12 For thou didst it secretly: but I will ado this thing before all Israel, and before the sun.
13 And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the Lord. And Nathan said unto David, The Lord also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die.
14 Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.
[(F.ornication U.nder C.ommand of the K.ing or F.or U.nlawful C.arnal K.nowledge)] This blaspheme continues to this day.

It is not proper to consider a "spouse" as property, but as an equal. Please reference the topic: Matrimony, a Compound in One. Man is the head of the home, in that he was meant to be the "mind" in presiding, providing and protecting. The Woman is the "heart" of the home, for nurturing. It is only when the mind and the heart are in "resonance" or "harmony;" oneness, that peace can be attained whereby home becomes a heaven on earth and a sanctuary from the storm.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=240&private=0

"I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies."

Re: Polygamy: The Exception and NOT the Rule [message #3759 is a reply to message #3740] Mon, 02 December 2019 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course, The Savior was married. We have three accounts of His spouse, anointing His feet; however, care must be taken as it becomes quite obvious that there are different perspectives involved.

Quote:
"If a man gets a fulness of the priesthood of God, he has to get it in the same way that Jesus Christ obtained it, and that was by keeping all the commandments and obeying all the ordinances of the house of the Lord. ...
"All men who become heirs of God and joint-heirs with Jesus Christ will have to receive the fulness of the ordinances of his kingdom; and those who will not receive all the ordinances will come short of the fulness of that glory."
(History of the Church, 5:424; spelling modernized; from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on June 11, 1843, in Nauvoo, Illinois; reported by Wilford Woodruff and Willard Richards.)

One of the ordinances of the "house of the Lord" is that of "Celestial Marriage" through the Patriarchal Priesthood. (See the topic: Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood)

. . . and now to reference the record with respect to the Savior having His feet washed by His spouse preparatory to His burial. (See information regarding the "second endowment.")

Quote:
John 11:
1 Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha.
2 (It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)
3 Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick.
4 When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.
5 Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus.

Quote:
John 12:
1 Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.
2 There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him.
3 Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.
4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.
7 Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.
8 For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.

Quote:
Luke 7:
36 And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat down to meat.
37 And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment,
38 And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
39 Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.
40 And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.
41 There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.
42 And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?
43 Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.
44 And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.
45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.
46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.
47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.
48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.
49 And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also?
50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

Quote:
Mark 14:
3 And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head.
4 And there were some that had indignation within themselves, and said, Why was this waste of the ointment made?
5 For it might have been sold for more than three hundred pence, and have been given to the poor. And they murmured against her.
6 And Jesus said, Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work on me.
7 For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always.
8 She hath done what she could: she is come forehand to anoint my body to the burying.
9 Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, this also that she hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her.

Several things are apparent from the record:
1.) The narrative differs in the various Gospels about the identity of the woman who anointed the Savior with an alabaster box of expensive ointment.
2.) Things are "left out" in some instances.
3.) Things are "added in" in other instances.

Undoubtedly, Mary Magdalene is the Savior's spouse. She is the first one to whom He identifies Himself after His resurrection - in the Garden. The "touch me not" is in reference to more than just a touch, but an intimate "hug."

The most glaring omission has to do with her "Memorial." There has been an attempt to remove it from the record. Bear this in mind when reviewing the next installment . . . involving some other information that is "present" in the "record," but not comprehended.

Re: Polygamy: The Exception and NOT the Rule [message #3760 is a reply to message #3759] Mon, 02 December 2019 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From the previous "installment," you, the reader, should be aware, now, that there are things "couched, hidden, and concealed" in the written account of the Savior's life. I cannot begin to unravel and unwind, everything, just know that not all of the "threads" were concealed and that there is still a way to ferret out some pertinent information - regardless of attempts at concealment. It should be established that Mary's preeminent position as the "First Lady" of the Savior is unmistakable. This would have given her the "Law of Sarah" right if the Savior practiced polygamy. (See Section 132 to understand the implication of "The Law of Sarah.") What we will now examine has much to do with "tentatively" identifying the possibility of the Savior's other "spouses" and "offspring." To do so, we have to visit the account of that fateful last day of the Savior's "mortal" ministry.

Quote:
Matthew 27:
55 And many women were there beholding afar off, which followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering unto him:
56 Among which was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joses
, and the mother of Zebedee's children.
57 When the even was come, there came a rich man of Arimathæa, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus' disciple:
58 He went to Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be delivered.
59 And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth,
60 And laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed.
61 And there was Mary Magdalene, and the other Mary, sitting over against the sepulchre.

1.) When you consider the "source" of the narrative that we have received and the preeminence of Mary, the Mother of Christ, with respect to that "source," it is highly unlikely that Mary Magdalene would have first mention in the account.
2.) Mary was a common name.
3.) This woman has children named James and Joses.*
4.) She is referenced as the "other" Mary. (Again, it is highly unlikely that this "other Mary" is Mary, the Mother of Jesus because of her status.)

*It is certainly true that Mary, the Mother of Jesus, had additional children of which two had the same names:
Quote:
Mark 6
3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.
. . . and so we are compelled to glean more from the record:
Quote:
Mark 15:
40 There were also women looking on afar off: among whom was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the less and of Joses, and Salome;
41 (Who also, when he was in Galilee, followed him, and ministered unto him;) and many other women which came up with him unto Jerusalem.

Mark, the Author of the Gospel, gives us a key of understanding that this "other Mary" is NOT the same Mary as the Mother of Jesus, because there is a differentiation given in who James is. Now, unless this other Mary is the wife of James the Greater, the brother of Jesus who is an Apostle, there is a possibility that this "other Mary" is, also, a spouse of the Savior. This would mean that the Savior's sons were named after His half-brothers. We will continue to look at evidence . . . which is not conclusive.

Quote:
Mark 15:
47 And Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joses beheld where he was laid.

(Mary, the mother of James the Less AND Joses)

Quote:
Matthew 28:
1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Quote:
Mark 16:
1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

In order to proceed, we can only follow the name of Joses in the record, "IF" it is the same Joses who is the brother to James the Less. We are presuming that it is and that James the Greater is James the Apostle. We find more information about Joses in a very interesting narrative, which merits examination:

Quote:
Acts 4:
36 And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus,
37 Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

It is very interesting that the Apostles changed the "surname" of Joses for some odd reason. The "surname" means "The son of consolation." Why would this information make it into the record? Has it significance? Perhaps you are thinking the same thing that I have? . . . and so the narrative compels us to follow something about "Barnabas."

Quote:
Acts 14:
11 And when the people saw what Paul had done, they lifted up their voices, saying in the speech of Lycaonia, The gods are come down to us in the likeness of men.
12 And they called Barnabas, Jupiter; and Paul, Mercurius, because he was the chief speaker.
13 Then the priest of Jupiter, which was before their city, brought oxen and garlands unto the gates, and would have done sacrifice with the people.

In understanding the "gods" of the Romans, it is noteworthy to recognize that Barnabas is given "higher" status than Paul is. While Paul is identified with "Mercurius," the "messenger of the gods, Barnabas is identified with "Jupiter," the "father of Mercurius" and the "king" of the Roman god's. Did Paul identify Barnabas as the son of Jesus? You will have to determine that for yourself.

http://www.romans-latin.net/gods.htm
(Scroll down at this link)

Certainly, therefore, it is entirely possible that Jesus was married to multiple wives with Mary Magdalene being the "First Lady." One of His spouses would/could have been Martha, Mary's sister, and, of course, the "other" Mary. He would/could have had children, as the evidence suggests.

Re: Polygamy: The Exception and NOT the Rule [message #3790 is a reply to message #3760] Wed, 11 December 2019 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This controversy always surfaces and I think it fitting that it be put to rest. Polygamy is not necessary, period. To illustrate the point, consider the "Law of Sarah" as established by the suspect Doctrine and Covenants 132. The "Law," in and of itself infers that the first wife has precedence, and always will. What this establishes is an immediate hierarchy with the "First Lady" having priority; therefore, the wives could NEVER be on equal footing. This is further elaborated upon in scripture in the following citation:

Quote:
Galatians 5:
21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?
22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.
24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.
28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.
31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.
The "second or third or fourth or hundreth" will always be a "bondwoman" by virtue of order and The Law of Sarah. It cannot be said that there is any other order or precedent than this. The notion of "equal footing" and "no respecter of persons" cannot be established under this pretense of union. It is of a "lower" nature than monogamy, wherein, (monogamy,) the "playing field" and footing is level by virtue of partnership.

Further, it is very apparent that in the case of Sarah, she had the right to evict the bondwoman.

The following excerpt was taken from the Larry King Live show:

The entirety of which can be viewed below, so that it is received in context: (The excerpt occurs at about the 14:30 min. mark)

[Updated on: Wed, 11 December 2019 07:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Polygamy: The Exception and NOT the Rule [message #3791 is a reply to message #3790] Wed, 11 December 2019 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The following information is given to substantiate a conspiracy against the Prophet Joseph Smith in terms of him practicing Polygamy in secret:

(History of the Church, vol 6, p. 411) Joseph Smith made this statement preaching from the stand to the Latter-day Saints in Nauvoo on Sunday May 26, 1844:
Quote:
...What a thing it is for a man to be accused of committing adultery, and having seven wives, when I can only find one. I am the same man, and as innocent as I was fourteen years ago; and I can prove them all perjurers.
Quote:
Joseph and Hyrum Smith announce the excommunication of Hiram Brown, a member of the Church, for "preaching Polygamy, and other false and corrupt doctrines, in the county of Lapeer, state of Michigan." Times and Seasons, vol. 5, p. 423 (1844)
In addition to the deletion of the Lectures on Faith contained in the 1835 edition of the Doctrine and Covenants, a whole section devoted to Marriage was, also, removed. This section contradicted Section 132 which was added "after" Joseph Smith's death stating:
Quote:
Inasmuch as this church of Christ has been reproached with the crime of fornication, and polygamy; we declare that we believe that one man should have one wife; and one woman, but one husband, except in the case of death, when either is at liberty to marry again. [1835 Doctrine and Covenants, C1, p. 251 (1835)]
I would sincerely ask you, the reader, as to which position is stronger and of more integrity, the notion that Joseph Smith was a legitimate Prophet of God who said one thing while secretly practicing another OR a virtuous, honest man who, as a sincere and devout disciple of Christ, became a True Prophet of God? I hope that you are able to discern the utter weakness of attempting to hold the concept that a TRUE and LEGITIMATE Prophet of God would resort to deception in the practice of adultery.

The problem with espousing the idea of plural marriage is that of "continually looking." It is a very huge stumbling block to complete fidelity and contentment in marriage.

Re: Polygamy: The Exception and NOT the Rule [message #3792 is a reply to message #3791] Thu, 12 December 2019 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The following analysis will be a dissection of Doctrine and Covenants 132 and an identification of some "red herrings," inherent, therein:

Initially, the revelation known as Doctrine and Covenants 132, was "elicited" from questions asked by the Prophet Joseph Smith as identified in the following verses:

Quote:
Doctrine and Covenants 132:
1 Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you my servant Joseph, that inasmuch as you have inquired of my hand to know and understand wherein I, the Lord, justified my servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as also Moses, David and Solomon, my servants, as touching the principle and doctrine of their having many wives and concubines--
2 Behold, and lo, I am the Lord thy God, and will answer thee as touching this matter.

and, also, the following question:

Quote:
41 And as ye have asked concerning adultery, verily, verily, I say unto you, if a man receiveth a wife in the new and everlasting covenant, and if she be with another man, and I have not appointed unto her by the holy anointing, she hath committed adultery and shall be destroyed.
42 If she be not in the new and everlasting covenant, and she be with another man, she has committed adultery.
43 And if her husband be with another woman, and he was under a vow, he hath broken his vow and hath committed adultery.
44 And if she hath not committed adultery, but is innocent and hath not broken her vow, and she knoweth it, and I reveal it unto you, my servant Joseph, then shall you have power, by the power of my Holy Priesthood, to take her and give her unto him that hath not committed adultery but hath been faithful; for he shall be made ruler over many.
45 For I have conferred upon you the keys and power of the priesthood, wherein I restore all things, and make known unto you all things in due time.

This gives rise to the first "red herring." Highlighted in red are "conditionals" included in the explanation; answer. This infers that there are "exceptions." We very well might read it as saying, "Under the new and everlasting covenant, if a wife is with another man and has been appointed so by the holy anointing," she has NOT committed adultery. Verse 44 would collaborate that she could be given to another. This would give credence to the idea that Polygamy could pertain equally to women depending upon the "holy anointing."

I am of the opinion that Doctrine and Covenants 132 does contain truth, but that there are parts of it that appear to be "additions" with insinuations of "transgression" on the part of the Prophet and/or Emma. There are things that do not ring true to the nature of Heavenly Father who respects agency.

The actual pronouncement of the "sealing power" given to Joseph Smith in this section opens up the door for a myriad of "justifications" for that which God has prohibited by nature:

Quote:
46 And verily, verily, I say unto you, that whatsoever you seal on earth shall be sealed in heaven; and whatsoever you bind on earth, in my name and by my word, saith the Lord, it shall be eternally bound in the heavens; and whosesoever sins you remit on earth shall be remitted eternally in the heavens; and whosesoever sins you retain on earth shall be retained in heaven.
47 And again, verily I say, whomsoever you bless I will bless, and whomsoever you curse I will curse, saith the Lord; for I, the Lord, am thy God.
48 And again, verily I say unto you, my servant Joseph, that whatsoever you give on earth, and to whomsoever you give any one on earth, by my word and according to my law, it shall be visited with blessings and not cursings, and with my power, saith the Lord, and shall be without condemnation on earth and in heaven.

A principle is established with reference to the keys of this priesthood in the following excerpt:

Quote:
7 And verily I say unto you, that the conditions of this law are these: All covenants, contracts, bonds, obligations, oaths, vows, performances, connections, associations, or expectations, that are not made and entered into and sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, of him who is anointed, both as well for time and for all eternity, and that too most holy, by revelation and commandment through the medium of mine anointed, whom I have appointed on the earth to hold this power (and I have appointed unto my servant Joseph to hold this power in the last days, and there is never but one on the earth at a time on whom this power and the keys of this priesthood are conferred), are of no efficacy, virtue, or force in and after the resurrection from the dead; for all contracts that are not made unto this end have an end when men are dead.

and, then, you have the following reference:

Quote:
39 David's wives and concubines were given unto him of me, by the hand of Nathan, my servant, and others of the prophets who had the keys of this power; and in none of these things did he sin against me save in the case of Uriah and his wife; and, therefore he hath fallen from his exaltation, and received his portion; and he shall not inherit them out of the world, for I gave them unto another, saith the Lord.

How many on the earth at one time have the keys and power to this law? Perhaps a contradiction?

Quote:
13 And everything that is in the world, whether it be ordained of men, by thrones, or principalities, or powers, or things of name, whatsoever they may be, that are not by me or by my word, saith the Lord, shall be thrown down, and shall not remain after men are dead, neither in nor after the resurrection, saith the Lord your God.
14 For whatsoever things remain are by me; and whatsoever things are not by me shall be shaken and destroyed.

Certainly, you, the reader of this information, are well aware of the "shaking" and neigh "destruction" that faced the Church as a result of practicing Polygamy.

Quote:
34 God commanded Abraham, and Sarah gave Hagar to Abraham to wife. And why did she do it? Because this was the law; and from Hagar sprang many people. This, therefore, was fulfilling, among other things, the promises.
35 Was Abraham, therefore, under condemnation? Verily I say unto you, Nay; for I, the Lord, commanded it.

There is a subtlety in the foregoing verse that bears and examination of the record to determine if, in fact, God commanded Abraham to have children through Hagar:

Quote:
Genesis 15:
Genesis 15:
1 After these things the word of the Lord came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.
2 And Abram said, Lord God, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?
3 And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir.
4 And, behold, the word of the Lord came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.
5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.
6 And he believed in the Lord; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

Quote:
Genesis 16:
1 Now Sarai Abram's wife bare him no children: and she had an handmaid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar.
2 And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the Lord hath restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai.
3 And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife.
4 ¶ And he went in unto Hagar, and she conceived: and when she saw that she had conceived, her mistress was despised in her eyes.
5 And Sarai said unto Abram, My wrong be upon thee: I have given my maid into thy bosom; and when she saw that she had conceived, I was despised in her eyes: the Lord judge between me and thee.
6 But Abram said unto Sarai, Behold, thy maid is in thy hand; do to her as it pleaseth thee. And when Sarai dealt hardly with her, she fled from her face.
7 ¶ And the angel of the Lord found her by a fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way to Shur.
8 And he said, Hagar, Sarai's maid, whence camest thou? and whither wilt thou go? And she said, I flee from the face of my mistress Sarai.
9 And the angel of the Lord said unto her, Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands.
10 And the angel of the Lord said unto her, I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, that it shall not be numbered for multitude.
11 And the angel of the Lord said unto her, Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the Lord hath heard thy affliction.
12 And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.
13 And she called the name of the Lord that spake unto her, Thou God seest me: for she said, Have I also here looked after him that seeth me?
14 Wherefore the well was called Beer-lahai-roi; behold, it is between Kadesh and Bered.
15 ¶ And Hagar bare Abram a son: and Abram called his son's name, which Hagar bare, Ishmael.
16 And Abram was fourscore and six years old, when Hagar bare Ishmael to Abram.

In the record, it is not given that God commanded Abraham to procreate with Hagar. Hagar, the bondwoman, was given to Abraham by Sarah, thus establishing the "Law of Sarah." God prophesied to Abraham and gave him a promise of what would be. It was not a command.

The Abrahamic Test? or "Reversal?"

Quote:
50 Behold, I have seen your sacrifices, and will forgive all your sins; I have seen your sacrifices in obedience to that which I have told you. Go, therefore, and I make a way for your escape, as I accepted the offering of Abraham of his son Isaac.
51 Verily, I say unto you: A commandment I give unto mine handmaid, Emma Smith, your wife, whom I have given unto you, that she stay herself and partake not of that which I commanded you to offer unto her; for I did it, saith the Lord, to prove you all, as I did Abraham, and that I might require an offering at your hand, by covenant and sacrifice.

Quote:
54 And I command mine handmaid, Emma Smith, to abide and cleave unto my servant Joseph, and to none else. But if she will not abide this commandment she shall be destroyed, saith the Lord; for I am the Lord thy God, and will destroy her if she abide not in my law.
55 But if she will not abide this commandment, then shall my servant Joseph do all things for her, even as he hath said; and I will bless him and multiply him and give unto him an hundred-fold in this world, of fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, houses and lands, wives and children, and crowns of eternal lives in the eternal worlds.

Personal "Weakness" or "Transgression?"

In consideration of verse 50 cited, above and in view of the following admonition:

Quote:
56 And again, verily I say, let mine handmaid forgive my servant Joseph his trespasses; and then shall she be forgiven her trespasses, wherein she has trespassed against me; and I, the Lord thy God, will bless her, and multiply her, and make her heart to rejoice.

In view of what can be gleaned from several passages in this section, an inference is made that Joseph and Emma are both guilty of "trespasses" and that God was making a way of escape. Note: the initial question giving rise to this "revelation" had to do with "justification" for seeming "adultery" and an explanation as to how a woman under the new and everlasting covenant and anointing would not be guilty of such. For me, this borders on T.M.I., if this section is, indeed, totally legitimate. There is a subtlety that I do not like and; therefore, have to question those things that do not seem to fit.

A violation of Agency?? Would God force someone to comply with His law?

Quote:
3 Therefore, prepare thy heart to receive and obey the instructions which I am about to give unto you; for all those who have this law revealed unto them must obey the same.

http://mormonhistoricsites.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Encouraging-Joseph-Smith-to-Practice-Plural-Marriage-The-Accounts-of-the-Angel-with-a-Drawn-Sword.pdf

Is the "Law of Sarah" legitimate or does it even matter?

Quote:
61 And again, as pertaining to the law of the priesthood--if any man espouse a virgin, and desire to espouse another, and the first give her consent, and if he espouse the second, and they are virgins, and have vowed to no other man, then is he justified; he cannot commit adultery for they are given unto him; for he cannot commit adultery with that that belongeth unto him and to no one else.
62 And if he have ten virgins given unto him by this law, he cannot commit adultery, for they belong to him, and they are given unto him; therefore is he justified.

Quote:
64 And again, verily, verily, I say unto you, if any man have a wife, who holds the keys of this power, and he teaches unto her the law of my priesthood, as pertaining to these things, then shall she believe and administer unto him, or she shall be destroyed, saith the Lord your God; for I will destroy her; for I will magnify my name upon all those who receive and abide in my law.
65 Therefore, it shall be lawful in me, if she receive not this law, for him to receive all things whatsoever I, the Lord his God, will give unto him, because she did not believe and administer unto him according to my word; and she then becomes the transgressor; and he is exempt from the law of Sarah, who administered unto Abraham according to the law when I commanded Abraham to take Hagar to wife.

There has been a "cultural mindset" that has taken years to eliminate and that has to do with considering a wife as "property" and that she can be "over-ridden." This has got to cease.

In the next installment on Doctrine and Covenants 132, we will examine what is "right" about it and that the New and Everlasting Covenant involves "A" wife - singular.

Re: Polygamy: The Exception and NOT the Rule [message #3793 is a reply to message #3792] Thu, 12 December 2019 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the creation of this topic, the subtitle was given: "and no man taketh this honor unto himself." Certainly, the conditions that make "Polygamy" an exception have been given in Jacob in the Book of Mormon. It very much hinges upon the need for offspring. It must be commanded by God and sanctioned by the "First and "ELECT" Lady" according to the "Law of Sarah."

For review, "The Law of Sarah" did not turn out well for Hagar . . . that relationship failed:

Quote:
Genesis 17:
15 ¶ And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be.
16 And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her.
17 Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?
18 And Abraham said unto God, O that Ishmael might live before thee!
19 And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.
20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; btwelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.
21 But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year.
Quote:
Genesis 21:
Genesis 21:
1 And the Lord visited Sarah as he had said, and the Lord did unto Sarah as he had spoken.
2 For Sarah conceived, and bare Abraham a son in his bold age, at the set time of which God had spoken to him.
3 And Abraham called the name of his son that was born unto him, whom Sarah bare to him, Isaac.
4 And Abraham circumcised his son Isaac being eight days old, as God had commanded him.
5 And Abraham was an hundred years old, when his son Isaac was born unto him.
6 ¶ And Sarah said, God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me.
7 And she said, Who would have said unto Abraham, that Sarah should have given children suck? for I have born him a son in his old age.
8 And the child grew, and was weaned: and Abraham made a great feast the same day that Isaac was weaned.
9 ¶ And Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, which she had born unto Abraham, mocking.
10 Wherefore she said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.
11 And the thing was very grievous in Abraham's sight because of his son.
12 ¶ And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.

13 And also of the son of the bondwoman will I make a nation, because he is thy seed.
14 And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and took bread, and a bottle of water, and gave it unto Hagar, putting it on her shoulder, and the child, and sent her away: and she departed, and wandered in the wilderness of Beer-sheba.
15 And the water was spent in the bottle, and she cast the child under one of the shrubs.
16 And she went, and sat her down over against him a good way off, as it were a bowshot: for she said, Let me not see the death of the child. And she sat over against him, and lift up her voice, and wept.
17 And God heard the voice of the lad; and the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said unto her, What aileth thee, Hagar? fear not; for God hath heard the voice of the lad where he is.
18 Arise, lift up the lad, and hold him in thine hand; for I will make him a great nation.
19 And God opened her eyes, and she saw a well of water; and she went, and filled the bottle with water, and gave the lad drink.
20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.
21 And he dwelt in the wilderness of Paran: and his mother took him a wife out of the land of Egypt.
The "Law of Sarah" was upheld, even by the Lord.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 December 2019 15:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Polygamy: The Exception and NOT the Rule [message #3794 is a reply to message #3793] Thu, 12 December 2019 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The "Law" of the "New and Everlasting Covenant of Marriage:" The veritable "takeaways" from Doctrine and Covenants 132!

Joseph Smith, did, in fact, receive revelations concerning the New and Everlasting Covenant of Marriage that corresponded to the earlier truths that were established by the Lord in the beginning - which things are given at the start of this topic. I am of the opinion that this 132 Section of the Doctrine and Covenants is a "conglomeration" of many things . . . and it behooves us to be wise in identifying those things that are "congruent" and those things that are not.

Quote:
The 13th Article of Faith by Joseph Smith:
13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul--We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Being true, chaste and virtuous means that "adultery" cannot be justified; therefore, no man can or ought to take the notion of being untrue to his spouse and to the Lord, lightly. It is in this light that "The Law of Sarah" and the will of the Lord should, without exception, be heeded.

The "New and Everlasting Covenant of Marriage" involves "A" single wife with the following conditions:

Quote:
7 And verily I say unto you, that the conditions of this law are these: All covenants, contracts, bonds, obligations, oaths, vows, performances, connections, associations, or expectations, that are not made and entered into and sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, of him who is anointed, both as well for time and for all eternity, and that too most holy, by revelation and commandment through the medium of mine anointed, whom I have appointed on the earth to hold this power (and I have appointed unto my servant Joseph to hold this power in the last days, and there is never but one on the earth at a time on whom this power and the keys of this priesthood are conferred), are of no efficacy, virtue, or force in and after the resurrection from the dead; for all contracts that are not made unto this end have an end when men are dead.

1.) ALL covenants and ordinances have to be ratified by the Holy Spirit of Promise by revelation in order for them to exist beyond death.

Reiteration is made of this principle:

Quote:
13 And everything that is in the world, whether it be ordained of men, by thrones, or principalities, or powers, or things of name, whatsoever they may be, that are not by me or by my word, saith the Lord, shall be thrown down, and shall not remain after men are dead, neither in nor after the resurrection, saith the Lord your God.
14 For whatsoever things remain are by me; and whatsoever things are not by me shall be shaken and destroyed.

Is there any wonder why DIVORCE seems to be the rule, these days, rather than the exception?

Quote:
15 Therefore, if a man marry him a wife in the world, and he marry her not by me nor by my word, and he covenant with her so long as he is in the world and she with him, their covenant and marriage are not of force when they are dead, and when they are out of the world; therefore, they are not bound by any law when they are out of the world.
16 Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory.
17 For these angels did not abide my law; therefore, they cannot be enlarged, but remain separately and singly, without exaltation, in their saved condition, to all eternity; and from henceforth are not gods, but are angels of God forever and ever.

This portion of the revelation addresses the oft misunderstood reference to the Savior's exposition and answer to the questions of "whose wife shall she be:"

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=277&private=0

From the accounts given, it should be apparent that some things have been "tweaked" to substantiate a viewpoint, just like I suspect Section 132 was.

Quote:
18 And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife, and make a covenant with her for time and for all eternity, if that covenant is not by me or by my word, which is my law, and is not sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, through him whom I have anointed and appointed unto this power, then it is not valid neither of force when they are out of the world, because they are not joined by me, saith the Lord, neither by my word; when they are out of the world it cannot be received there, because the angels and the gods are appointed there, by whom they cannot pass; they cannot, therefore, inherit my glory; for my house is a house of order, saith the Lord God.

2.) In order for the marriage covenant to be "eternal," it has to be done by God; His Word and His law AND sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise.

Quote:
19 And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and everlasting covenant, and it is sealed unto them by the Holy Spirit of promise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood; and it shall be said unto them--Ye shall come forth in the first resurrection; and if it be after the first resurrection, in the next resurrection; and shall inherit thrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, dominions, all heights and depths--then shall it be written in the Lamb's Book of Life, that he shall commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, and if ye abide in my covenant, and commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, it shall be done unto them in all things whatsoever my servant hath put upon them, in time, and through all eternity; and shall be of full force when they are out of the world; and they shall pass by the angels, and the gods, which are set there, to their exaltation and glory in all things, as hath been sealed upon their heads, which glory shall be a fulness and a continuation of the seeds forever and ever.
20 Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have call power, and the angels are subject unto them.
21 Verily, verily, I say unto you, except ye abide my law ye cannot attain to this glory.

For "reiteration," again . . . with added insight, it is repeated:

Quote:
26 Verily, verily, I say unto you, if a man marry a wife according to my word, and they are sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, according to mine appointment, and he or she shall commit any sin or transgression of the new and everlasting covenant whatever, and all manner of blasphemies, and if they commit no murder wherein they shed innocent blood, yet they shall come forth in the first resurrection, and enter into their exaltation; but they shall be destroyed in the flesh, and shall be delivered unto the buffetings of Satan unto the day of redemption, saith the Lord God.

There are two ways to be "sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise" and it is a very subtle indication as to what that may look like:

1.) By someone who has the keys of the Priesthood and is anointed to this power. (This Priesthood is the Patriarchal Priesthood)

Quote:
Doctrine and Covenants 124:
124 First, I give unto you Hyrum Smith to be a patriarch unto you, to hold the sealing blessings of my church, even the Holy Spirit of promise, whereby ye are sealed up unto the day of redemption, that ye may not fall notwithstanding the hour of temptation that may come upon you.
125 I give unto you my servant Joseph to be a presiding elder over all my church, to be a translator, a revelator, a seer, and prophet.
126 I give unto him for counselors my servant Sidney Rigdon and my servant William Law, that these may constitute a quorum and First Presidency, to receive the oracles for the whole church.

Initially, A Presiding Patriarch was given the keys to act as the Holy Spirit of Promise; however, since this is no longer the case, I would have to presume that they have been reserved to the Presiding Elder.

2.) By Heavenly Father's OWN appointment via revelation from the Heavens directly to the couple, jointly.

In other places, I have stated that this "revelation" is likely to happen during the "after glow" when the "union" becomes "spiritual" in nature, rather than carnal.

Clarification is further given in this section about the definition of the unpardonable sin that nullifies this covenant:

Quote:
27 The blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, which shall not be forgiven in the world nor out of the world, is in that ye commit murder wherein ye shed innocent blood, and assent unto my death, after ye have received my new and everlasting covenant, saith the Lord God; and he that abideth not this law can in nowise enter into my glory, but shall be damned, saith the Lord.

Certainly the "sin" of "willful" abortion qualifies as shedding innocent blood.

Quote:
66 And now, as pertaining to this law, verily, verily, I say unto you, I will reveal more unto you, hereafter; therefore, let this suffice for the present. Behold, I am Alpha and Omega. Amen.

Unfortunately, we haven't received the "more" in the canon of scripture that was promised. It would entail an exposition on how a couple can jointly receive their "calling and election made sure."

There is one more item that I had neglected to point out about with respect to the "weaknesses and transgressions" issue that was brought forth earlier - I shall do so now:

Quote:
60 Let no one, therefore, set on my servant Joseph; for I will justify him; for he shall do the sacrifice which I require at his hands for his transgressions, saith the Lord your God.

And so, it would seem that Polygamy can be justified as the sacrifice that Joseph Smith was called upon to make because of his transgressions?
  • Attachment: Capture.PNG
    (Size: 314.51KB, Downloaded 246 times)

Re: Polygamy: The Exception and NOT the Rule [message #3796 is a reply to message #3794] Sat, 14 December 2019 07:49 Go to previous message
Quote:
Mark 10:
2 And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.
3 And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you?
4 And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.
5 And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.
6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.
7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

8 And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
10 And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter.
11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.
12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Previous Topic: The Doctrine of "Calling and Election Made Sure"
Next Topic: Matrimony: The Compound in One
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 05:35:39 MDT 2024