Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Current Church Doctrine » Believing or Knowing Jesus is the Christ (Gospel Doctorine last Sunday)
Believing or Knowing Jesus is the Christ [message #3421] Tue, 24 February 2015 14:22 Go to next message
Michael Davis is currently offline  Michael Davis
On Sunday, during Gospel Doctrine class. Our teacher (who is extremely gifted and does a tremendous job) proposed the question at the beginning of class. He quoted the following scripture from the D&C 46 and asked the difference between the two. The difference between believing and knowing.
Quote:
13 To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world.
14 To others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful

After a few had given their interpretation I felt I needed to give mine. I stated the difference between the 2 was in fact the Holy Ghost. One had received the witness from the Holy Ghost and one had not.
There was obviously a few who took exception to my comment and quickly commented back. One of our older (probably late 50's) prominent member stated that every gift was give by the "Holy Ghost" other members stated and agreed that "Holy Spirit" was the giver of the gifts spoken of in section 46. They were using the term pertaining to both "Ghost and Spirit" being the same thing. I then raised my hand and commented that the Holy Spirit was different than the Holy Ghost and to receive the Holy Ghost was to receive a member of the God Head, who is NO still small voice. He is a voice of thunder a once heard and felt all doubt is removed.

I could tell that some did not like my logic. They then discussed the topic back and forth for a few minutes and pretty much came to a consensus that it's just not possible for everyone one to receive a witness that Jesus is the Christ. And that the blessing of being able to believe on others words was just as good because it also promises eternal life.

I could tell that a few where unhappy with things that I had previously said so I let the class move on to the discussion in the New Testament. But I really did not like where the discussion went or ended. I felt further clarification was needed.

Our teacher hustled the lesson along so he could end with time to spare. He had planned to allow all who would bear their Testimonies of Jesus Christ to do so. He first gave ground rules for our Testimonies. First, it could be only one sentence long. Two, it could only include our Savior, not the BoM, not the Bible, not any scriptures. Just the Savior.

I then cheated a little and bore my Testimony, and said..... "Brother and Sisters, I know my Savior lives, and I bear Testimony that he does and that every person in this room and world has the ability to know for themselves that he does live and he is our Savior by obedience to the laws that this blessing is predicated on".

Section 130 of the D&C says.....

Quote:
18 Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.
19 And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.
20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated--
21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

Brother and Sisters, now that I am not hinder to one sentence I bear my testimony here that every blessing and gift offered in section 46 is available to us all. Some are more difficult than others to obtain and because we are all starting at different points with different gifts and talents. The laws upon which blessings are predicated are also different for each of us. But by following to precepts of the gospel that we are given, we are then in turn given new precepts to follow. Line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little, there a little. None of us should ever be OK with settling and believing on others words that Jesus is the Savior and the only begotten of the Father. There are Laws to be followed and Blessings to be had, let us be diligent in receiving all that our Father has offered to each and everyone one of us... Amen

Michael Davis

[Updated on: Tue, 24 February 2015 14:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Believing or Knowing Jesus is the Christ [message #3422 is a reply to message #3421] Tue, 24 February 2015 21:40 Go to previous message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Michael,
I would have enjoyed being in that Gospel Doctrine class! I'm glad you spoke up for yourself and stated what you believe despite the disbelieving ears.
For myself, the difference between believing and knowing is best described by Alma. After reading and studying the many sermons of Alma the Elder and the Younger, I conclude that to KNOW means you have tested your belief through faith and received personal evidence that it is true. This is like me saying I KNOW this seed is an orange seed. If I gave you that seed and you had never seen one before, you would have to simply believe me or not. You could not know for yourself. If you planted that seed, and an orange tree grew, you would then KNOW it was an orange seed and have plenty of your own seeds to hand out to others. That is how a testimony grows. I KNOW that Jesus is the Christ. I KNOW that Jesus lives. I know that if others will believe on my witness to the point of acting on it, in the way that acting on an orange seed produces an orange tree, then they too can ALL KNOW for themselves these same things.

Dragon

- Dragon
Previous Topic: Is Home Teaching a Calling?
Next Topic: Sustaining our Saviors Plan in this Life
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:49:56 MDT 2024