Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Sunday Preparation - Talks & Lessons » Talk on Gratitude (Scriptures and ideas for speaking about Gratitude)
Talk on Gratitude [message #3396] Sat, 22 November 2014 10:46
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Why should we show Gratitude?
It is a commandment:
D&C 46:30 He that asketh in the Spirit asketh according to the will of God; wherefore it is done even as he asketh. 31 And again, I say unto you, all things must be done in the name of Christ, whatsoever you do in the Spirit; 32 And ye must give thanks unto God in the Spirit for whatsoever blessing ye are blessed with.

Gratitude strengthens our relationship with Heavenly Father
Which of the 10 lepers had the best relationship with Jesus?
The Ten Lepers
Luke 17:12 And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off: 13 And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us. 14 And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed. 15 And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God, 16 And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan. 17 And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine? 18 There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger.

Helps us focus on what we have instead of what we don't.
D&C 78:17 Verily, verily, I say unto you, ye are little children, and ye have not as yet understood how great blessings the Father hath in his own hands and prepared for you; 18 And ye cannot bear all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along. The kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours. 19 And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, more.

It is unrighteous to give or receive without gratitude.
Moroni 7:6 For behold, God hath said a man being evil cannot do that which is good; for if he offereth a gift, or prayeth unto God, except he shall do it with real intent it profiteth him nothing. 7 For behold, it is not counted unto him for righteousness. 8 For behold, if a man being evil giveth a gift, he doeth it grudgingly; wherefore it is counted unto him the same as if he had retained the gift; wherefore he is counted evil before God. 9 And likewise also is it counted evil unto a man, if he shall pray and not with real intent of heart; yea, and it profiteth him nothing, for God receiveth none such.

D&C 59: 18 Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; 19 Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. 20 And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. 21 And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who dconfess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments.

Gratitude breeds Humility We ask for a gift from God
We receive the gift from God
We give thanks to God for the gift
Any other path assumes we obtained it ourselves.
What am I thankful for? Time with my wife on this earth
Knowledge of the Gospel
Priesthood Power
Great mercies poured out upon me throughout my life.: Go into detail
Always provided for me
Walked with me through hard trials
Listened when no one else understood me
Bear Testimony

Comments are welcome. Mostly I hope this helps someone else some day.

- Dragon
Previous Topic: Early Pioneers
Next Topic: Gospel Doctrine Old Testament 44
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:59:47 MDT 2024