Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Sunday Preparation - Talks & Lessons » Early Pioneers (What do we learn from them?)
Early Pioneers [message #3358] Sat, 26 July 2014 12:38 Go to next message
Rodney is currently offline  Rodney
As I listened to my muffled footsteps in the wind blown deserted streets of this ghost town called Elliaison.org, I noted the coming and goings of spirits numbering in the thousands... unseen. Unheard. Just the passing of a stranger now, and again. Today I kick at the dirt, look over my shoulder and wonder just who might be wondering on the horizon,... headed this way. There is ample evidence of folks 'ben around, and the whispering of their tales, and deeds. Like a dream. And in the twilight the only sound of life, besides my foot fall,... the rhythmic chirp of crickets. It is peaceful here,... under the waning moon. I am reminded of the talk I gave last Sabbath.

What can we learn from the early pioneers? Like the desert sands, there are writings on the subject to feed the myriad of spirits passing through here. My thoughts were consumed for a fortnight 'an half. Not bein' gifted in writ, wit or the cloth I kept wondering at the real message... a message that seemed missing. Like the fair denizens who belong here. My challenge? Find the gold. There's gold in this town if one seeks it out. There's gold left in the dust of the trails of a people known for sacrifice. For loyalty and faith. For determination and integrity. Yes... they were all that and more.

But what more? Thousands died. Some 70,000 completed the trek, etching out the proof of their lives in wheel ruts and monolithic boulders and for what? For a valley that promised a meager days ration from hard unbroken soil softened by sweat and blood? Naw... naw. Something more. Their heads were bowed down, sure... from weakened bodies harrowed by unforgiving terrain and relentless miles in the company of the suffering. They had a heart and vision of reaching beyond mortal comforts... they were reaching for ZION! And they were willing to give their very souls for it. So... what does that mean really?

I can tell ya what I see, as I step off to the side of the street and lean against a hitch and it's creaking gives pause for emphasis. A small rolling tumbleweed blows hither and thither as if seeking without success until out of sight. The desire of the hearts of the early pioneers was to reach Zion. Their path was the refiners fire. One cannot obtain any destination without the right things stowed in the wagon... or handcart. For Zion? No one could make such journey without the right things stowed in their hearts... and a desire to seek Christ.

Omni 1:26

"And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved." (emphasis added)

I know. It's not the usual thoughts given on such an occasion as this. Neither is that library 'cross the street normal for such a town. O'er there by the watering trough. There you can read of such things I just brought up... that's the Elliaison Library. Haven't gon' in yet, but there's time a plenty for that... well,... until there's not. But that's another saga.

Well,... you just can't make Zion by nightfall on any given day, without the right company, "the" one who knows the way and speaks in whispers. In the whistlin' of the wind, ya gotta pay attention, even with a good horse. Naw, the things I think I can learn from the early pioneers is to offer my whole soul to Christ and give everything... EVERYTHING to Him.

I ease off the hitch which grew weary of my burden ... my back a little stiff, I stretch and move back out into the street and mosey off to the west. I think the best question just might be...

What will any of us have learned from the early pioneers if we FAIL to "Come Unto Christ"?

But that's just me. I don't think normal like... and why am I walking any how?

[Updated on: Sat, 26 July 2014 13:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Early Pioneers [message #3359 is a reply to message #3358] Mon, 28 July 2014 22:50 Go to previous message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Very poetic. Thank you for sharing.
I personally have learned much from this board. If you had the time to track my musings on here across the years, I hope you will see the shadow of my personal progress in opening my mind and broadening my understanding. I stopped coming for a time here and there, when my heart focused too much on the lack of patience I felt inside. This place is unique, as far as I can tell, in that people are respectful of each other, especially when they disagree. But as your post states, we all agree on one thing. The goal is to bring people to Christ, starting with ourselves.

Dragon

- Dragon
Previous Topic: Gospel Doctrine D&C 8
Next Topic: Talk on Gratitude
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 21:11:58 MDT 2024