Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Sunday Preparation - Talks & Lessons » Gospel Doctrine New Testament Lesson 7 ( “[He] Took Our Infirmities, and Bare Our Sicknesses” )
Gospel Doctrine New Testament Lesson 7 [message #188] Sat, 12 February 2011 09:15 Go to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
This lesson focuses on the Miracles which Jesus performed during his life. There is some brief discussion about the power He used to perform them, and the faith of the participants. What I do not see discussed is the way in which Jesus taught the Apostles to perform miracles or how each of us can learn to perform any and all of the miracles of Jesus if we have enough faith.

Joseph Smith's miracles are a good example of this, but they are not referenced at all. Should I approach this subject in this lesson, or is it covered in another lesson later in the year?

- Dragon

- Dragon
Re: Gospel Doctrine New Testament Lesson 7 [message #196 is a reply to message #188] Tue, 15 February 2011 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bishop is currently offline  bishop
I am teaching the same lesson. I was a little offended to read in the lesson that the priesthood was the only source of Christ's power. This has caused a need within myself to understand more clearly the role of the priesthood in blessings and miracles. I have witnessed this power more as the gifts of the Spirit. This by passed faith and the miracles that women have participated in over the years.

Bishop
Re: Gospel Doctrine New Testament Lesson 7 [message #200 is a reply to message #196] Tue, 15 February 2011 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
This is discussed extensively in Elliaison's book, "The Unspeakable Gift of the Holy Ghost". Here is an excerpt:

Quote:
The blessing to those who can speak with the Voice of God, which is speaking by the Power of the Holy Ghost, is not only the spiritual exchange of information and testimony.
God spoke and worlds were created. God speaks and mountains are moved, sickness is healed, and lives are changed. When we speak by the Power of the Holy Ghost, we speak the word of God, as if we were God. And all things will obey us as they do God. Moroni tells us,

"Who shall say that it was not a miracle that by his word the heaven and the earth should be; and by the power of his word man was created of the dust of the earth; and by the power of his word have miracles been wrought?" Morm. 9:17

When we speak with the power of the Holy Ghost, which is the voice of God, we speak with this same great power by which God created all things. All of creation recognizes the Voice of God, which is through the spirit of God. When we speak by the power of that spirit, all of creation will respond to us as if we were The Very Creator, God. One of the promised blessings that comes with the Gift of the Holy Ghost is that of miracles.

"Therefore, as I said unto mine apostles I say unto you again, that every soul who believeth on your words, and is baptized by water for the remission of sins, shall receive the Holy Ghost.
And these signs shall follow them that believe--
In my name they shall do many wonderful works;
In my name they shall cast out devils;
In my name they shall heal the sick;
In my name they shall open the eyes of the blind, and unstop the ears of the deaf;
And the tongue of the dumb shall speak;
And if any man shall administer poison unto them it shall not hurt them;
And the poison of a serpent shall not have power to harm them.
But a commandment I give unto them, that they shall not boast themselves of these things, neither speak them before the world; for these things are given unto you for your profit and for salvation." - D&C 84:64-73
- Taken from "The Unspeakable Gift of the Holy Ghost" by Elliaison (Chapter - The Signs that follow them)

Later in the same chapter it goes into raising the dead by the power of the Holy Ghost and quotes the following scripture:
Quote:
"Let my servant William Law also receive the keys by which he may ask and receive blessings; (1) let him be humble before me, and (2) be without guile, and (3) he shall receive of my Spirit, even the Comforter, which shall manifest unto him the truth of all things, and shall give him, in the very hour, what he shall say.
And these signs shall follow him--he shall heal the sick, he shall cast out devils, and shall be delivered from those who would administer unto him deadly poison;
And he shall be led in paths where the poisonous serpent cannot lay hold upon his heel, and he shall mount up in the imagination of his thoughts as upon eagles' wings.
And what if I will that he should raise the dead, let him not withhold his voice." - D&C 124:97-100

In the next chapter it talks about who is "every soul" the chapter is called, "All Those Who Believe" The following quotes are taken from that chapter:
Quote:
The scriptures are quite clear that the power and gifts of the spirit are given to all those who believe without respect to persons or positions. The only criteria is faith which brings the power of the Spirit.

"And that he manifesteth himself unto all those who believe in him, by the power of the Holy Ghost; yea, unto every nation, kindred, tongue, and people, working mighty miracles, signs, and wonders, among the children of men according to their faith." - 2 Ne. 26:13

Quote:

Joseph Smith had a terrible time with trying to help people of his day understand that these gifts are based upon the spirit and not the priesthood. He lived under the pressure of an extremely chauvinistic male society, who thought men should be the only ones to exhibit such gifts. At various times, he taught the following regarding the sisters in the Relief Society,

"No matter who believeth, these signs, such as healing the sick, casting our devils, etc., should follow all that believe, whether male or female. He asked the Society if they could not see by this sweeping promise, that wherein they are ordained, if it is the privilege of those set apart to administer in that authority, which is conferred on them; and if the sisters should have faith to heal the sick, let all hold their tongues, and let everything roll on." TPJS, Section Four 1839-42, p.224

"Respecting females administering for the healing of the sick he further remarked, there could be no evil in it, if God gave His sanction by healing; that there could be no more sin in any female laying hands on and praying for the sick, than in wetting the face with water; it is no sin for anybody to administer that has faith, or if the sick have faith to be healed by their administration." TPJS, Section Four 1839-42, p.224

Quote:
"Because faith is wanting, the fruits are. No man since the world was had faith without having something along with it. The ancients quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, women received their dead, etc. By faith the worlds were made. A man who has none of the gifts has no faith; and he deceives himself, if he supposes he has. Faith has been wanting, not only among the heathen, but in professed Christendom also, so that tongues, healings, prophecy, and prophets and apostles, and all the gifts and blessings have been wanting." TPJS, Section Five 1842-43, p.270

~ Seeker
Re: Gospel Doctrine New Testament Lesson 7 [message #204 is a reply to message #200] Tue, 15 February 2011 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Sadly, I cannot use these quotes in my Sunday School lesson, which is the purpose of this particular subforum.

- Dragon
Re: Gospel Doctrine New Testament Lesson 7 [message #209 is a reply to message #204] Wed, 16 February 2011 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Perhaps you could go at it by discussing the miracles Jesus did and how powerful they are then quote:

Quote:
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. - John 14:12-14

Then point out that this promise is not limited to age, gender or position in the church and then look up and read:

Quote:
"Therefore, as I said unto mine apostles I say unto you again, that every soul who believeth on your words, and is baptized by water for the remission of sins, shall receive the Holy Ghost.
And these signs shall follow them that believe--
In my name they shall do many wonderful works;
In my name they shall cast out devils;
In my name they shall heal the sick;
In my name they shall open the eyes of the blind, and unstop the ears of the deaf;
And the tongue of the dumb shall speak;
And if any man shall administer poison unto them it shall not hurt them;
And the poison of a serpent shall not have power to harm them.
But a commandment I give unto them, that they shall not boast themselves of these things, neither speak them before the world; for these things are given unto you for your profit and for salvation." - D&C 84:64-73

followed by having someone read a print out of:

Quote:
"No matter who believeth, these signs, such as healing the sick, casting our devils, etc., should follow all that believe, whether male or female. He asked the Society if they could not see by this sweeping promise, that wherein they are ordained, if it is the privilege of those set apart to administer in that authority, which is conferred on them; and if the sisters should have faith to heal the sick, let all hold their tongues, and let everything roll on." Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Section Four 1839-42, p.224

I think that would be enough milk/meat mixture to raise some eyebrows but not too high... And it is backed by quotes, of course, the spirit may have other ideas as to what you should teach...

~ Seeker
Re: Gospel Doctrine New Testament Lesson 7 [message #211 is a reply to message #209] Wed, 16 February 2011 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I may use the quotes from the scriptures, but I'm not going to quote Joseph Smith and get myself on the wrong side of the local officials. The Spirit will have to do what I cannot do.

Bishop
Re: Gospel Doctrine New Testament Lesson 7 [message #212 is a reply to message #188] Thu, 17 February 2011 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon,
I was thinking about your post this am. I like your thought process concerning the implied question: "How do we [I] follow the Savior in participating in miracles?"
I think this will be a big part of my lesson. I teach youth. I expect that we will talk a lot about prayer, fasting, observing miracles in the scriptures, staying close to the Spirit,and miracles that we have experienced or heard about. I believe it will become clear that miracles come under the direction of the Spirit-not at our every whim; but they also come after much fasting and prayer.
I definitely plan to emphasize that we are a Church of miracles. And I will probably point out that the last days are a time of miracles-those of us reserved for the last days are a people of miracles! This could be a very exciting lesson. Hopefully the Spirit will be there so that we can discuss these things.

Bishop
Re: Gospel Doctrine New Testament Lesson 7 [message #213 is a reply to message #196] Thu, 17 February 2011 10:22 Go to previous message
Upon further pondering of this Sunday's lesson, I realized that the greatest miracles are not healings of broken bones and bodies or moving mountains or raising the dead, many of which we have witnessed. The greatest miracles are miracles of the changing of hearts: when bitter enemies embrace in forgiveness; when the prodigal returns as a humbled servant; when a marriage is genuinely saved; etc.

Of course the greatest of these miracles is the changing of an almost knuckle dragging homo sapiens into a servant of God; changing a servant of God into a son of God; changing a son of God into a friend of God; and changing a friend of God into a God. Each of these miracles is a born again miracle which we discussed in our Sunday school lesson two weeks ago, wrought by our submission to the sanctifying power of the Holy Ghost.

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, hundreds of thousands, if not millions of these miracles of the heart take place every year. These are the true work and glory of God and his Church and his people.

I believe this will be the powerful, prophetic punch line of my lesson on Sunday. Each of us is expected to participate in these greatest of all miracles to the farthest possible degree!

Bishop
Next Topic: Gospel Doctrine New Testament Lesson 8
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 15:16:28 MDT 2024