Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Helping Others » Get Involved in a Good Cause » Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure (Teach, Encourage & Testify)
Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure [message #161] Sun, 06 February 2011 10:36 Go to next message
Elliaison
The name of the Church tells us who's church it is. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a different group than the Church of Jesus Christ of Former-day Saints.

Baptism and confirmation are the joining ordinances of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In a similar way, being sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise, (which means our calling and election has been made sure), is the joining ordinance of the Church of the Firstborn. When this sealing occurs, we become joint heirs with Christ as Firstborn Son's and Daughters of God and therefore members of the Church of the Firstborn.

Quote:

They are they who...are sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, which the Father sheds forth upon all those who are just and true.
They are they who are the church of the Firstborn.
These are they who have come to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of Enoch, and of the Firstborn. - D&C 76:51-54 & 67

In this way, receiving your calling and election made sure is the joining ordinance of the Spiritual Church of the Firstborn.

There are those who have already received their calling and election made sure, thereby joining the Spiritual Church of the Firstborn. There are those among the Church of the Firstborn who have been called & ordained to help others do the same. While translating the Revelations of John, Joseph Smith asked and received the following:
Quote:
Q. What are we to understand by sealing the one hundred and forty-four thousand, out of all the tribes of Israel--twelve thousand out of every tribe?
A. We are to understand that those who are sealed are high priests, ordained unto the holy order of God, to administer the everlasting gospel; for they are they who are ordained out of every nation, kindred, tongue, and people, by the angels to whom is given power over the nations of the earth, to bring as many as will come to the church of the Firstborn. - D&C 77:11

Notice that these are they who are "ordained by the angels" who have power over the nations of the earth. They are NOT ordained by men. There mission is "to bring as many as will come to the church of the Firstborn."

If you have received your calling and election sure and have a desire or an ordination to bring others to the church of the Firstborn, then let's work together. Share your experiences with others who are seeking the same. Encourage, teach, uplift and enlighten.

Open your mouth and speak. This website has been created to connect you with seekers who hunger and thirst for what you have to share. We understand that you can't give anyone a personal testimony of the Book of Mormon or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In the same way you can't make the Holy Spirit of Promise seal anyone to their exaltation. However, you can share your testimony in hopes that they will gain the same.

If there is anything we can add to this site that would help you or others to make their calling and election sure, please let us know.

~ Elliaison

[Updated on: Sun, 06 February 2011 11:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure [message #417 is a reply to message #161] Mon, 28 May 2012 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zephyr is currently offline  zephyr
Since it all begins with "taking the Holy Spirit" as our guide, why not some discussion on recognizing and following the voice of the Spirit.

I have found these references from the Doctrine and Covenants to be most helpful:

Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.
(Doctrine and Covenants 8:2‎)‎

12 And now, verily, verily, I say unto thee, put your trust in that Spirit which leadeth to do good--yea, to do justly, to walk humbly, to judge righteously; and this is my Spirit.
13 Verily, verily, I say unto you, I will impart unto you of my Spirit, which shall enlighten your mind, which shall fill your soul with joy;
14 And then shall ye know, or by this shall you know, all things whatsoever you desire of me, which are pertaining unto things of righteousness, in faith believing in me that you shall receive.
(Doctrine and Covenants 11:1214‎)‎
Re: Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure [message #427 is a reply to message #161] Tue, 29 May 2012 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
This brings up a question regarding the 144,000. I mean the first group which have their C&E made sure, and help millions of others do so before the worst part of the millennial preparation. Is it possible to determine when the first of these 144,000 was ordained? It is merely a point of curiosity, as I suspect the first one was in the late 80's, but have no more than suspicion to back it up.

In addition, how quickly are people being added to this effort? If you started in 1988 and added 10 people every day, there would not be 144,000 until 2027. Please forgive my numerology, it was just on my mind.

- Dragon
Re: Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure [message #646 is a reply to message #427] Sun, 15 July 2012 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

Dragon wrote on Tue, 29 May 2012 14:17
This brings up a question regarding the 144,000. I mean the first group which have their C&E made sure, and help millions of others do so before the worst part of the millennial preparation. Is it possible to determine when the first of these 144,000 was ordained? It is merely a point of curiosity, as I suspect the first one was in the late 80's, but have no more than suspicion to back it up.

In addition, how quickly are people being added to this effort? If you started in 1988 and added 10 people every day, there would not be 144,000 until 2027. Please forgive my numerology, it was just on my mind.

I don't know a lot about this Dragon, can you tell me more about this and why you suspect the first of the 144,000 was ordained in the 80s? What was significant about that time period?

~Jules
Re: Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure [message #647 is a reply to message #646] Sun, 15 July 2012 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP,
There are several points in my figures which are mere guesses. The first is the idea of a leader among the 144,000. While the members of the Church of the Firstborn can certainly govern themselves, one of the 144,000 will rise up as King in Jerusalem after the two prophets have been slain, and before the battle of Armageddon. He is know as the Prince of Peace in the same way Melchizedek was called the Prince of Peace. So, first point of conjecture: A leader of the 144,000 will arise.

If there is a leader of this group, it is logical to me for him to be the first one ordained. The reason I believe this is a possibility is because this person would then participate in the ordaining of many or all of the 144,000. Thus, I figure he would be the first ordained.

As to the timing, it would take a few posts to back up the next part. My best guess for the appearance of the Prince of Peace and the travel of the 144,000 from Zion to Palestine is between 2040 and 2045. Add to that I picture this man to be about 65-70 when he rises as King of Jerusalem, and eventually all of Europe, or possibly all of Europe, Asia, and Africa. Again, it would take multiple posts to explain.

This means this man would have been born between 1970 and 1980, most likely. As such, in the late 80's he would have been between 8 and 18 years of age, a great time for this to happen for someone who is foreordained to lead a group, if he needs to be ordained first. Yes, that's a lot of IFs.

So I am curious. Many on this forum have talked of having their Calling and Election Made Sure. Some have included in this experience the command to learn more and teach others. Some have said they know they are members of the 144,000, and I have felt the words of the 144,000 will not be constrained by the narrow minded for long. So there are many on the Earth who have been ordained unto this calling. Has anyone spoken of the ordination itself? Can they identify a time frame? There is a remote possibility that I am right, and 1988 was the year it all started. I just wanted to know if anyone can say they were ordained prior to this date. It is a mere point of curiosity, and has little to no effect on anything else.

- Dragon
Re: Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure [message #655 is a reply to message #647] Sun, 15 July 2012 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

Is it possible for members of the 144,000 to have been born earlier in history and had their mortal lives extended - like the Three Nephites, or other translated beings - in order to be around to fulfill their calling today?

~Jules
Re: Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure [message #656 is a reply to message #655] Mon, 16 July 2012 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jules,
It is possible, but I do not see why that would be necessary. Does the calling of John the Beloved or the Three Nephites sound like the calling of the 144,000? This is a concept which I have not yet considered. If you know of an example, please share.

- Dragon
Re: Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure [message #657 is a reply to message #656] Mon, 16 July 2012 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

I don't have any examples, I am actually trying to learn more and don't know. I just posed the question to see if you or anyone else knew. I suppose Amonhi might know more considering his calling...?

~Jules
Re: Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure [message #658 is a reply to message #657] Mon, 16 July 2012 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I now perceive in your question a curiosity about who the 144,000 are, and why they are upon the Earth. For the benefit of others, I will give a verbose answer.

In the Book of Revelation, John the Revelator sees great trials and calamities poured out upon the children of men. At the end of chapter six a question is posed

Rev. 6:15-17
And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; 16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: 17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

The answer comes in Chapter 7

Rev. 7:2-4,9
And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, 3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads. 4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.
9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

Quite literally, the 144,000 have their calling and election made sure, and therefore are members of the Church of the Firstborn. Their calling is to teach others how to have their own Calling and Election made sure. These are the ones referred to as the Elect.

I read from this section that a testimony of the gospel is not enough to endure the last days without falling. It is necessary to join the Church of the Firstborn to have the relationship with Christ necessary to endure the trials and prepare for the hardships and sacrifices requires of the Saints.

Joseph Smith did a question and answer session on Rev. 7 in D&C 77
D&C 77: 9,11
Q. What are we to understand by the angel ascending from the east, Revelation 7th chapter and 2nd verse?
A. We are to understand that the angel ascending from the east is he to whom is given the seal of the living God over the twelve tribes of Israel; wherefore, he crieth unto the four angels having the everlasting gospel, saying: Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their c foreheads. And, if you will receive it, this is Elias which was to come to gather together the tribes of Israel and restore all things.
11 Q. What are we to understand by sealing the one hundred and forty-four thousand, out of all the tribes of Israel--twelve thousand out of every tribe?
A. We are to understand that those who are sealed are high priests, ordained unto the holy order of God, to administer the everlasting gospel; for they are they who are ordained out of every nation, kindred, tongue, and people, by the angels to whom is given power over the nations of the earth, to bring as many as will come to the church of the Firstborn.

Please note, the 144,000 are not ordained by men, but by angels. There are a few references to "high priests, ordained unto the holy order of God," and a search of the scriptures for this phrase will be instructive.

As stated earlier, there is a leader, who is given stewardship over the 144,000, and this leader is also known as Elias. There is a specific time in the progression of events for the 144,000 to be called, and that time is now. This is the last breath before the final plunge. The time when those who hold sacred knowledge for salvation are compelled to speak to those who may profane against them. The Spirit governs when they will share their knowledge, and when they must hold their tongue. It is their charge to gather as many as possible into the Church of the Firstborn, which by necessity will offend some who do not wish to hear.

As to the number used, there is a section of biblical study known as numerology. The relevant parts of this 'science' are the meanings behind the numbers 12, and 1000, and what it means to multiply one by the other.

12: Governmental Perfection, or Perfection of Government.
The 12 tribes are organized into 12 tribes to perfect the governing of the people.

1000: Signifies immensity, or fullness of quantity.
Multiplication of numbers: The joining of their meaning, or if multiplied by itself, an intensification of the meaning.
From this, the 144,000 represent a fullness of governing the people from each of the twelve tribes. When taken as a whole, the importance of perfection the governing of the people is multiplied. Some may say this means there will not be exactly 144,000. Perhaps so, perhaps not. What does matter is there are people called with a specific task of teaching others how to overcome the misconceptions of the culture and come unto Christ, receive the Second Comforter, and thus prepare to endure the trials of the last days.

Given these attributes of the 144,000, I believe Elias has this seal or stewardship over the144,000, and thus is the first to be ordained, just as Joseph Smith was the first to be baptized by proper authority in this dispensation. This Elias will ordain others, but it may not be required for him to ordain them all himself.

Yes, I did say the 144,000 were ordained by angels. But Elias is no longer an angel, he is a man. By utilizing the ability to temporarily separate the spirit from the body, he is able to travel around the world, with the aid of angels, to perform these tasks.

Those who are thus ordained may experience a decrease in the aging process, while at the same time have their knowledge and wisdom exceed human years. They may feel as though they possess the knowledge of many lifetimes, and some of them do, because they remember many things from the preexistence. But for some of them to be born in previous times, and have their lives extended for this purpose seems counter intuitive. God has selected these 144,000 and saved them for these last days for the express purposes explained above.

I hope this primer on the 144,000 has explained most of your questions on the subject. I hope others offer their own views on those things I have shared, and in particular those areas where I have speculated.

- Dragon

[Updated on: Mon, 16 July 2012 05:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure [message #659 is a reply to message #658] Mon, 16 July 2012 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

Thank you Dragon! This is very helpful and gives me some more information. I didn't know some of these things, and it gives me a place to start so I can do some more studying. And what you said makes sense - about them being saved for this time.

~Jules
Re: Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure [message #902 is a reply to message #655] Tue, 14 August 2012 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denryu is currently offline  Denryu
JulesGP wrote on Sun, 15 July 2012 23:23
Is it possible for members of the 144,000 to have been born earlier in history and had their mortal lives extended - like the Three Nephites, or other translated beings - in order to be around to fulfill their calling today?

For what it is worth, I had the same thought before I reached your post.

It seems unlikely if not impossible that those who have had their lives extended for the purpose of serving the Lord to NOT be members of the Church of the Firstborn. Because the calling of the 144,000 so closely coincides witht he desires of those who wished to tarry, it also seems likely to me that they will be among the 144,000. And that was impressed on me as I read this thread before I got to your post suggesting the same.

But this is just arm of flesh reasoning. I am going through a period of struggling and either am not feeling the spirit very well, or it is communicating with me in a new way that I am still learning to understand. I will say that instead of getting "burning in the bosom" experiences that instead I am getting flashes of insight that just seem to "feel right" and "fits more pieces in the puzzle" of my understanding. My concern and stumblingblock at the moment is without getting the confirmation that I am used to, I am worried about being led astray.

I have ahd a couple of incidents recently where I gained a great deal of understanding in a short time, and after much pondering I don't see any error in it. But still no strong confirmation either. I only explain this to clarify that my thoughts expressed above are of that nature - they seemed revelatory, but it may simply be that something clicked mentally and it is merely an arm of flesh understanding.

Libertas optimas rarem, nunquam servili sub nexu.
"There is no gift like Liberty, therefore never live under slavery."
Re: Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure [message #904 is a reply to message #902] Tue, 14 August 2012 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

Denryu wrote on Tue, 14 August 2012 09:05
...Because the calling of the 144,000 so closely coincides witht he desires of those who wished to tarry, it also seems likely to me that they will be among the 144,000.

This was exactly my line of thinking Denryu!

Denryu wrote on Tue, 14 August 2012 09:05
...I will say that instead of getting "burning in the bosom" experiences that instead I am getting flashes of insight that just seem to "feel right" and "fits more pieces in the puzzle" of my understanding.

This has happened to me a LOT lately! I'll have things "come to me" that I KNOW I could not have come up with on my own. So I'll take that and search and study it and then a lot of times I'll find a ton of information on it and piece it all together, and then I get the "burning in my bosom" feeling. I love it when this happens.

I don't like the interim when I want to talk with people about things and I have no "proof" to show them, and can't offer them anything more than "...because the Spirit said so....". I still have a few of those things sitting around in my mind that I'm not sure why they were given to me, and I have nothing to back them, but I know they are true - and someday maybe I'll figure out what I was given that information for.

~Jules
Re: Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure [message #909 is a reply to message #904] Wed, 15 August 2012 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are many who have not died, who are also members of the Church of the Firstborn. We do not know how many, but aside from the City of Enoch, I imagine it is far fewer than 144,000. If Alma the Younger or Moses or any of the others are members of the 144,000, I believe they were ordained together, at a specific time, which is in the recent past. They would not have been among the 144,000 hundreds of years ago, because that is the wrong time period. Thus, there was a time at which people began joining of the 144,000, be they mortals or transfigured. What's more important is how we share the message.

- Dragon
Re: Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure [message #910 is a reply to message #909] Wed, 15 August 2012 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denryu is currently offline  Denryu
I agree that they would not have been among the 144,000 previously. It just seems that as the 144,000 are called that they would likely be among them.

Libertas optimas rarem, nunquam servili sub nexu.
"There is no gift like Liberty, therefore never live under slavery."
Re: Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure [message #912 is a reply to message #910] Wed, 15 August 2012 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While pondering on whether a transfigured person is a member of the 144,000, I remembered what it is the 144,000 are supposed to do. We are missionaries, and as such, we need to develop relationships with those who are ready and seeking to obtain their C&E. I bring this up, because I cannot imagine making a friend with someone, and finding out they are John the Revelator, or one of the 3 Nephites, or Alma the Younger.

There have always been those who find the Church of the Firstborn through the LDS Church, and possibly through other means. Thus, the 144,000 do not all need to be converted by someone else. But it is our calling to find as many as possible who are ready, and prepare those who are willing, to join the Church of the Firstborn and help them understand what C&E is, how they can obtain it, and what it means in their life. How can Alma the Younger accomplish these goals? He is not a spirit who can influence others from a distance or unseen. If he appeared to Church members today, we would hear about an older gentleman randomly meeting people, and making friends, helping with their C&E, and then disappearing.

I am not sure what the Transfigured are doing now, though some have said they are with the 10 tribes and helping them prepare to return. I personally believe the calling right now of the 144,000 requires mortality to relate to others and have a 'normal' life with relationships forming and budding.

- Dragon
Re: Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure [message #1025 is a reply to message #161] Mon, 27 August 2012 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mormonhah is currently offline  mormonhah
Is it speculation that the leader need to be a certain age or are you looking at logic? I do not find it difficult to accept that this "leader" may even be a child.

I have never seen angelic manifestations. On the other hand, I have been receiving what I term as "pure knowledge" when I am busy doing something else.

I was reading a book a few months ago. I can remember the words that I was reading. I then remember that my mind was filled to capacity with the absolute knowledge that a certain world event that had occurred was not how I had originally learned. I knew perfectly the individuals that were responsible for the event and I knew why. It was interesting that the book I was reading had been published in 1971 and that this event occurred many years later.

After I put the book down, I was sure that it was something I had read because I could remember exact phrases and what led up to the event. I picked up the book but the words were not there. Only then, I understood that this was pure knowledge only as the Holy Ghost can teach. This has happened several times before and since but this particular event was something I wasn't even wondering about.

If I had not actually got into this work and been called of God, I would back out. But I cannot back out: I have no doubt of the truth.
Joseph Smith, Jr.
Re: Help Others Make their Calling and Election Sure [message #1026 is a reply to message #1025] Mon, 27 August 2012 23:08 Go to previous message
JulesGP

mormonhah wrote on Mon, 27 August 2012 17:45
Is it speculation that the leader need to be a certain age or are you looking at logic? I do not find it difficult to accept that this "leader" may even be a child.

I have never seen angelic manifestations. On the other hand, I have been receiving what I term as "pure knowledge" when I am busy doing something else.

I was reading a book a few months ago. I can remember the words that I was reading. I then remember that my mind was filled to capacity with the absolute knowledge that a certain world event that had occurred was not how I had originally learned. I knew perfectly the individuals that were responsible for the event and I knew why. It was interesting that the book I was reading had been published in 1971 and that this event occurred many years later.

After I put the book down, I was sure that it was something I had read because I could remember exact phrases and what led up to the event. I picked up the book but the words were not there. Only then, I understood that this was pure knowledge only as the Holy Ghost can teach. This has happened several times before and since but this particular event was something I wasn't even wondering about.

Mormonhah,

I was told by one with a LOT of first-hand experience, that this - that you are describing, is angels teaching us. I have the same thing occur frequently the last while. I was told that the next time it happens, I should ask the name of the angel teaching me Smile So awesome that you are recognizing it!

~Jules
Next Topic: Magnifying Our Calling
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:04:49 MDT 2024