Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Scripture Discussion » The Holy Bible » 1 Kings 17 (Discussion of the 17th chapter of the 1st book of Kings)
1 Kings 17 [message #148] Sat, 31 July 2010 22:17 Go to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
While preparing my lesson for Sunday School, I read through the experience of Elijah raising a boy from the dead. the scriptures state:
Quote:
21 And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, I pray thee, let this child's soul come into him again.

22 And the LORD heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived.

I read this and thought, 'Wonderful! and example of raising someone from the dead based on a prayer of faith alone. Then I read the part of the lesson manual, and it indicated this was done by the power of the priesthood. So I ask it of you: Does this passage imply Elijah used the priesthood to raise the child from the dead, or does it imply a simple prayer of faith?

- Dragon

- Dragon
Re: 1 Kings 17 [message #151 is a reply to message #148] Fri, 13 August 2010 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
This is what came to my mind right after I read your post:

Performing priesthood blessings are done differently in our days. If you read church history you will find that the bretheren performed similar miracles without the formal utterings we use today. There are still things I don't understand when it comes to all the formalities we use today. But, mostly I think it is performed that way today in order to strengthen our faith while performing the blessing. I haven't found the answer yet, but I believe there is more to understand about the priesthood vs prayers of faith than what is tought in the Church today.

I don't know if this made any sence at all, but... :-)

Re: 1 Kings 17 [message #171 is a reply to message #151] Mon, 07 February 2011 16:10 Go to previous message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
When we use the priesthood we are acting as pre-authorized authorities. The feeling and Idea is that of commanding or officiating. Acting in Gods name as a servant of God. In this case, it seem that Elijah was not assuming any type of leadership role. No authority, no power in and through himself. More begging, pleading and asking God to use authority to do the work. This is a very different feeling when you look at the other miracles performed at other times. With the other miracles there was a certainty, authority and power in Elijah that we don't see here.

We might look at the sister in the early church who raised an ox from the dead when the priesthood refused to give a blessing because it was an animal and dead already.
There is great untapped power available to all who have faith and believe. This is clearly pointed out in the scriptures. There is no difference between male and female, age or even religion. Even the man who was casting out devils and not part affiliated with the apostles who told his to stop because, "he followed not after us". Then Christ told them that he was doing good by casting out devils and that they should not stop him.

~ Seeker
Previous Topic: Rev. 8
Next Topic: 1 Corinthians 11:1-15
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:39:09 MDT 2024