Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Calling and Election Made Sure » How You Received Your Calling and Election Made Sure » Inheriting all that the Father has (My journey)
Inheriting all that the Father has [message #2901] Thu, 03 April 2014 06:45 Go to next message
jdowntown is currently offline  jdowntown
I thought I should probably share my experience here as the people on this forum helped me get to where I am.
Several months ago, while browsing the internet I came across LDSFF and came across the thread "Fastest Way to make your C&E sure". I was completely shocked. I was familiar with the doctrine, but the understanding that it was within my reach was new to me. I was definitely on a multi-year spiritual plateau in my life. I joined the church when I was 16 and was absolutely amazed by the Gospel for about 2-3 years. I then served a mission, came home and got married in the Temple, but things seemed to become a little more common, and the incredible learning I had early on slowly diminished. So my interest was definitely raised as I knew I did not want to coast along for another couple decades in life. Deep down I knew there was much more to be had, but I just did not quite know where to look.
So I started to get truly excited about the Gospel and recommit myself to the Lord. I focused more on praying, gave Gospel study greater emphasis and could feel an increased outpouring of the Spirit. And then I set a date for when I would follow the 3 steps outlined. When the day came, I went in prayer and did so. I had a difficult time discerning much of an answer. I was pretty confident that I had not received it to date, but not clear prompting on what I should do. I supposed that I would keep asking.
I had many questions about the process. One in particular was about great trials associated with it. It seems that the 3 areas many people have great trials (health, family/marriage, and employment) were 3 areas that I have been greatly blessed in. And I naturally did not want to give those up just because (if I needed to that is fine, but trials for the sake of trials). The Lord answered this one for me when I did get a clear prompting one day to read Alma 32. I came across the verses about those who humbled themselves and those who are compelled to be humble. I knew immediately that was in answer to my question and I assured myself and the Lord that I would indeed be humble.
Well I continued to ask the Lord to forgive my sins, help me receive the Holy Ghost, and make my own Calling and Election Sure, but the response was still unclear. During my morning prayers on March 25, I decided I would try again. But this time my approach was different. In the past I was asking or implying that I wanted to happen. That morning it was different in that I had a more complete faith. I said "Lord I know thy ways are sure. I know that you are no respecter of persons. I <not sure what the right word is for this, expect maybe, but I know the feelings I used> to have my sins forgiven." The response came right away by the Spirit, "Your sins are forgiven." Wow! That was not so difficult after all. "Thanks, Lord! ... Also I know that you promise people a place in your Kingdom and an inheritance their and that people can get that promise during this life. I invoke that blessing now too." By the Spirit "You shall have part in my Kingdom too." Wow again!. "Thanks again Lord". Now one of the questions I had had during this whole process was whether I was God's servant, son or friend. I received a witness then that "I was a Son, as sons are promised their father's inheritance and that I now needed to work on becoming a friend, as friends are those who converse with the Lord face to face (Second Comforter)". This last part may seem insignificant but it was very important to me, as it more pure intelligence to me. I knew that it was the Spirit. Yes I probably could have figured that out on my own, but I knew it was from God and not me.
Re: Inheriting all that the Father has [message #2902 is a reply to message #2901] Sun, 06 April 2014 14:18 Go to previous message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
AWESOME! Thanks for sharing, even that last significant part! Smile

~ Seeker
Previous Topic: Have I received my C&E?
Next Topic: -Receiving Calling and Election and the More Sure Word of Promise-
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 13:18:00 MDT 2024