Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » Where is our focus to be? (Apostasy or devotion to Christ.)
Where is our focus to be? [message #2889] Tue, 04 March 2014 21:36 Go to next message
Binyamin is currently offline  Binyamin
I am terrible at selecting topic sections for my posts. If this doesn't seem to fit in this area feel free to redirect me.

There seems to be a very large amount of focus around people apostatizing and people being excommunicated. I feel that we may be giving a large amount of focus to a topic that may be irrelevant to our salvation and to others salvation. I'm unsure of the value that discussions around apostasy and specific individuals being singled out for excommunication for apostasy. It would seem that discussion focused around deeper and more valuable topics are of higher import.

I dont want to lessen the value of understanding the inconsistencies in LDS culture or the LDS church or in being aware of the consequences of certain discussions or beliefs. I also recognize that there is value in helping those who are struggling understand that the church is not what defines a individuals status with God. It is important to remember who the true judge of peoples souls is. It is also incredibly important to understand that the Church only administers the organization here but truthfully is only a framework for those who live a lower law. Its value of course goes well beyond that at other times as well. Temple Ordinances may be an example of times that its value is higher for those that have transcended the Aaronic Law and moved to the Melchezidek Laws. Or those whom have even transcended law, assuming that my belief that law is in place for those who need it is valid (meaning, laws are placed to help souls climb the stairway of understanding until they understand something to a point at which the reasons the laws were placed are no longer necessary for those it applied to). Knowing that the church is a temporal organization is important. Recognizing also that God wants to build individuals who are aligned with His eternal principles in a way that we become as 1 with Him. That each of these individuals make up the framework of the work that is to be finished here temporally as well as are His Sons and Daughters whom He loves and for whom he has provided a strait and narrow way to come back to Him.

I consider discussions around how? and why? or souls, change, increase, humility and preparation, etc to be possibly a better direction to assist conversations to develop and individuals to progress. I suppose that I dont believe that there is any one topic that is better or worse. I don't believe that there is comparison or competition in Heaven. Everything has its proper place and reasoning. There are times where certain discussion could be the avenue for one to increase where for another it may be more detrimental. This can be discerned by each individual by the Spirit. For our purposes though, assuming that we are all seeking deeper understanding and assuming that this kind of topic cant lead to said understanding but instead takes from it, wouldn't we want to expend our energy focusing upon items of a more eternal nature?

I feel that there is a huge distraction from the real work that is to be done at this time that topics such as these lend to in a very subconscious way. There is an appeal to the intellectual and spiritual "sensibilities" that is being utilized as a tool to take away from the good that is in existence and focus upon the negative. Even if the focus isn't changed from good to negative it is being changed from the great depth that it should be focused upon to another counterfeit "depth". I don't know about everyone else but I utilize an incredible amount of energy defending myself from evil and casting shields up and around myself, family, and home; seeking greater light and knowledge, building up Zion in myself and then my family and beyond unto others; studying the scriptures, praying, parenting, building loving relationships, having and building charity, developing a stronger bond with my Savior, speaking with God, having OBE's, discerning good from evil, and on and on... etc etc etc. There just isnt the need for discussions regarding excommunication, the evils of organizations, church, corporations, etc.; . Isnt our time more well spent upon what our focus should be upon? We can discuss the reasoning why some of these other items do not merit our focus and energy and how they distract from our real vision and focus. I think that in the end if we have our foundation upon Christ and focus upon Him all of us will know when to post in these areas and when it is necessary or important for ourselves or others to take part in the discussion. I suppose that it could be taken as prudish for me to somehow state that I feel that I am above such conversation. I am not. I dont feel any comparison or need to be better than or above another. I know that failings of this. I simply feel that the discussions regarding all of these excommunications, apostasies, etc have been taken to a point that they turn into a tabloid cover story and something else to gossip about rather than learn from. If indeed we should ever be above something; then discussion and topics such as that should be avoided and people should be above them to the point that they exclude themselves from such useless and pointless direction. Do not judge or place yourselves above those that do take part. Only improve your own opportunity to love deeper and see further and become capable to discern that there is no need to take part for ourselves but still accept that possibly there is something that another may learn from the topic. Even if it only be that they don't want to take part.

Honestly I aslo worry that my direction could be misaligned if I focus on such matters. This may effect my opinion. For the most part though, the feelings I have expressed have been personal revelation that I feel support the truth that I have been given. There may be a greater Light and Truth that I still must attain. I may have misunderstood the intent of all of these conversations. Or the Spirit may be right; for me or in general. I'm going to guess that at the very least the Spirit is correct for MY path. Wink I am not one that would ever want to avoid a topic for any reason short of being told by a higher power that it should be avoided. I feel that open, true, and honest communication is VERY important to truth flowing freely. I don't support anything accept for Christ. I am not founded upon an organization. I see truth for truth. I simply think very deeply about the use for each moment and each conversation. I know that time is relative. So I suppose that time is not a valid argument for why to be so conservative for the use of it. Principle is a great argument though. I seek to persuade all people to use persuasion and long suffering to teach and exhort. There is no need for useless and thoughtless topics that are petty at best. Especially when you see the wolf in sheeps clothing that is hidden in the direction of the topics. I am certain that the individuals that are being spoken of so vehemently and so reverently do not have any use for themselves to be placed in such topic. If they do then they should not be taken seriously. Each persons intent should be to love and to teach as prompted. I would hope that we would all seek a better direction and use our time appropriately in the service of our God and in the service of others.

Communication regarding principle, understanding, growth, etc seem to be more prudent for the extension of our souls.

I am going to come back later and hopefully edit to give this posting some better structure. I restated myself possibly to frequently. I apologize now for the redundancy. Hopefully I got my feeling across adequately. Let me know what your thoughts are. Remember that I am not avoiding difficult subjects. If they have purpose then I understand. I am also not suggesting that such topics are entirely useless. Its the consistent never-ending mudslinging that seems silly. I am suggesting that there may be a path that is more in harmony with Gods plan and our path to Him.

_Fortunate_
Re: Where is our focus to be? [message #2892 is a reply to message #2889] Sat, 08 March 2014 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bishop is currently offline  bishop
Point well taken, Binyamin. However, I believe that it is important for those who strive to receive their Calling and Election made sure (CE) to understand that the Church may not approve of them once they have reached that level of spirituality. No doubt, if Sarah had called the stake president and told him that Abraham was offering Isaac as a sacrifice, Abraham would had been excommunicated (according to today's standards).
There is a lot of excitement and concern about what is happening to members of the Church who are really trying to be righteous and who are excommunicated. We wonder how our personal standing will be as we feel empathy towards these souls and as we consider our own strivings for perfection. But your point is so well taken, that this should not be our focus. Our focus should be continued spiritual growth.

Bishop
Re: Where is our focus to be? [message #3614 is a reply to message #2892] Wed, 18 July 2018 07:16 Go to previous message
Navysky is currently offline  Navysky
Is it wrong to suggest that a person being excommunicated, if done for higher reasons, could actually be coming closer to Christ? Let me explain what I mean by higher reasons. If a person is doing everything they can to follow Christ, and some of what they are directed to do is not in conformity with what the church either teaches or tolerates, then that person may get excommunicated from the LDS church. If they were directed by the Spirit to do it, is the church right for ex-ing them, or are they justified because the Spirit directed them to do (whatever it was that got them kicked out)?

I know of several people who have been exed for being rebaptized. In the early days of the church they did rebaptisms often. In Moroni 6:1 it talks about teachers and priests being baptized. If they were already priests, then they have already been baptized and so this would be in fact rebaptism. Also, those who survived the destruction at Bountiful when the Lord visited the Nephites were instructed to be baptized. These were the righteous ones who were spared from the destruction because they were living faithfully. They had already been baptized so when the Lord commanded it, it was in fact rebaptism.

So, who is right in this scenario?
Previous Topic: Unconventional Lines of Priesthood authority
Next Topic: Phases of the Light of Christ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:07:13 MDT 2024