Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Current Church Doctrine » Looking for a quote (Who first instituted the need for a Year's Supply?)
Looking for a quote [message #2683] Sun, 18 August 2013 09:36 Go to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
As some of you may know, I am writing a fictionalized fulfillment of prophecies between now and the end of the world. In this book, I am trying to make reference to every prophecy which drives the plot. In the novel, when WW3 is approaching, the subject of food storage comes up. Well, I wanted the original quote to show the reader how long it has been. But I can't find it! This is partly because it was given in the 1930's or so.

I figured if there was any group of people who could help me find this quote, it would be this one. I also think it would be interesting to analyze the original commandment and compare that to how it is preached/implemented today.

- Dragon
Re: Looking for a quote [message #2690 is a reply to message #2683] Tue, 20 August 2013 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zone
I know there is quotes earlier than that by Brigham Young.

This site might help...

Here are a few of them copied over of the oldest quotes I could find.

Quote:
"How long you will have good crops, and the famine kept off, I do not know; when the fig tree leaves,, know then that summer is nigh at hand." (Joseph Smith, History of the Church, 3:391.)

Quote:
"The time will come when we will be obliged to depend upon our own resources; for the time is not far distant when the curtain will be dropped between us and the United States. When the time comes, brethren and sisters, you will wish you had commenced sooner to make your own clothing. I tell you, God requires us to go into home manufacture; and, prolong it as much as you like, you have got to do it." Heber C. Kimball, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 5, p. 10, July 5, 1857.

Quote:
"But what about the American nation. That war that destroyed the lives of some fifteen or sixteen hundred thousand people [Civil War] was nothing compared to that which will eventually devastate that country. The time is not very far distant in the future when the Lord God will lay his hand heavily upon that nation....What! This great and powerful nation of ours to be divided one part against the other and many hundreds of thousands of souls to be destroyed by civil wars! ....The time will come when there will be no safety in carrying on the peaceable pursuits of farming or agriculture. But these will be neglected and the people will think themselves well off if they can flee from city to city, from town to town and escape with their lives." Orson Pratt J. D. 12:344

"If a war of this description should take place, who could carry on his business in safety? Who would feel safe to put his crops in the ground or to carry on any enterprise? There would be fleeing from one State to another and general confusion would exist throughout the whole Republic. Such eventually IS TO BE the condition of this whole nation if the people do not repent of their wickedness...." Orson Pratt, J.D. 18:341

Quote:
"How on the face of the earth could a man enjoy his religion when he had been told by the Lord how to prepare for a day of famine, when, instead of doing, so, he had fooled away that which would have sustained him and his family." Elder George A. Smith (JD 12:142)

Quote:
"The time will come that gold will hold no comparison in value to a bushel of wheat." (President Brigham Young, Discourses of Brigham Young, p.298.)

". . .save the wheat until we have one, two, five, or seven years provisions on hand, until there is enough of the staff of life saved by the people to bread themselves and those who will come here seeking for safety." (Discourses of Brigham Young, pp.291-293)

Quote:
"The Lord is not going to disappoint either Babylon or Zion, with regard to famine, pestilence, earthquake or storms. . . . Lay up your wheat and other provisions against a day of need, for the day will come when they will be wanted, and no mistake about it. We shall want bread, and the Gentiles will want bread, and if we are wise we shall have something to feed them and ourselves when famine comes." Wilford Woodruff, Journal of Discourses, 18:121.

Quote:
"And now I am prepared to say by the authority of Jesus Christ, that not many years shall pass away before the United States shall present such a scene of bloodshed as has not a parallel in the history of our nation; pestilence, hail, famine, and earthquake will sweep the wicked of this generation from off the face of the land, to open and prepare the way for the return of the lost tribes of Israel from the north country." (Joseph Smith, History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2nd. ed. Rev., 1:315-16.)

http://www.simplyprepared.com/teaching_food_storage_quotes.htm
http://peaceofpreparedness.com/Quotes.html
Re: Looking for a quote [message #2705 is a reply to message #2683] Sun, 25 August 2013 22:41 Go to previous message
Elejian is currently offline  Elejian
The earliest quote I could find regarding a year's supply:

"Let every head of every household see to it that he has on hand enough food and clothing, and, where possible, fuel also, for at least a year ahead. You of small means put your money in foodstuffs and wearing apparel, not in stocks and bonds; you of large means will think you know how to care for yourselves, but I may venture to suggest that you do not speculate. Let every head of every household aim to own his own home, free from mortgage. Let every man who has a garden spot, garden it; every man who owns a farm, farm it" (President J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Conference Report, April 1937, p. 26).
Previous Topic: The Final Battle after the Millennium
Next Topic: How can one be a slave to the Holy Ghost? Is that a bad thing?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 15:12:17 MDT 2024