Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » The Words of Christ
The Words of Christ [message #2601] Tue, 09 July 2013 20:58 Go to next message
janderich is currently offline  janderich
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum but have appreciated the frank and open discussions about spiritual matters. Recently the Spirit has been speaking regularly and plainly to my mind. I have marveled at this process. In most cases the words of the Spirit are filled with scriptural phrases. This has been so much the case that I have wondered if Nephi's words were more to the point than I had initially thought. He says, "Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do" (2 Ne 32:3). Has anyone found that the words spoken by the Spirit or by angels are in large measure phrases and words from the scriptures? If so, why do you think this is the case?

[Updated on: Tue, 09 July 2013 20:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: The Words of Christ [message #2603 is a reply to message #2601] Thu, 11 July 2013 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sheol27 is currently offline  Sheol27
Hello and welcome! I'm sorry that we aren't more active here. Certainly when the angel Moroni visited Joseph Smith he quoted many scriptures. Some did vary a little bit but in intent they were the same. Why? I'm not sure but I can speculate that they may repeat scriptures as a reminder of what we should be studying?
Re: The Words of Christ [message #2645 is a reply to message #2601] Thu, 08 August 2013 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
The Spirit is teaching you all the time. Scriptural phrases have context and correlation which a normal conversation usually lacks. I know for me if the Spirit quoted Nephi declaring to his father that he would go and do, I would wonder how great a trial was ahead? Nephi certainly had a trial of his willingness to obey. So for me, the quote has context within the scriptures as well as bringing to mind a few talks or discussions about the verses. It is a more powerful message than simply, Trust me.

- Dragon
Re: The Words of Christ [message #2707 is a reply to message #2601] Wed, 28 August 2013 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

janderich wrote on Tue, 09 July 2013 20:58
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum but have appreciated the frank and open discussions about spiritual matters. Recently the Spirit has been speaking regularly and plainly to my mind. I have marveled at this process. In most cases the words of the Spirit are filled with scriptural phrases. This has been so much the case that I have wondered if Nephi's words were more to the point than I had initially thought. He says, "Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do" (2 Ne 32:3). Has anyone found that the words spoken by the Spirit or by angels are in large measure phrases and words from the scriptures? If so, why do you think this is the case?

I'm pretty sure Elliaison has a book about this.... you may want to email admin and ask them about it Wink

In my experience, angels have not always spoken words from the scriptures we are familiar with, but have spoken messages specific to me, or messages I was specifically supposed to speak to someone else (the tongue of angels). There have been times when scriptures have been referenced or quoted by angels though. But if you learn what "the words of Christ" are, that might give you a broader understanding. The words of Christ do not just come from the scriptures - they are spoken to us by the Holy Ghost, and by angels who speak to us through the power of the Holy Ghost.

~Jules
Re: The Words of Christ [message #2708 is a reply to message #2601] Thu, 29 August 2013 23:45 Go to previous message
Elejian is currently offline  Elejian
And "the words of Christ" can also be interpreted as Christ speaking to someone.

". . . when he [Christ] shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh, the things which he shall say unto you shall ye observe to do" (2 Nephi 32:6).

". . . when any man obtains this last Comforter, . . . the Lord will teach him face to face" (TPJS 151).
Previous Topic: Be ye therefore perfect
Next Topic: The light of Christ, Intelligence and the Priesthood
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 02:22:55 MDT 2024