Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Calling and Election Made Sure » How You Received Your Calling and Election Made Sure » Have I received my C&E? (Calling & election)
Have I received my C&E? [message #2414] Fri, 03 May 2013 12:56 Go to next message
joheri is currently offline  joheri
Hello!

I was introduced to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints when I was 19 years old. During my investigator period I had a profound experience which has meant a lot for me since. I have never thought of this as a sign of my C&E, but now I am starting to feel that maybe that was exactly what it was. All this happened a couple of weeks before I was even baptized. I lived alone at that time, and I was reading the BoM from the beginning. When I came to 2. Nephi chapter 9 I experienced what was the defining factor for me and my testimony. You may have heard other accounts from people experiencing near death experiences, when they see their life passing before their eyes. My experience was very similar. While I was reading I felt a tremendous mental pain and I fell down on my knees and cried like a baby for at least 10 minutes, non stop. I felt deep sorrow for all the bad things I had done and all the bad things I had experienced through other people's actions towards me. After this, a feeling of intense joy filled my whole body and I knew right there that I was forgiven and that my redeemer lives. It was truly a baptism by fire.

I feel so close to Christ and long to live the law of the gospel rather than the letter of the law, if you know what I mean. I have come to know that the Church is a vehicle to bring members to Christ, but I am sad to see that for most members, the Church seems to be the goal or end station. Like there is nothing more. I always feel kinda sad for not being able to share some of the things God has let me know because most members will not understand or will shun you for sharing something that has not come from "the brethren".

Often, when I read other accounts on this forum and others, from people who have received their C&E, I feel so connected. So, like my initial question, could this experience be an evidence to my C&E, even though I haven't seen Christ face to face?

- Joheri -
Re: Have I received my C&E? [message #2423 is a reply to message #2414] Mon, 06 May 2013 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
I can't remember my password and at work so can't reset it at the moment. ;)

First, your C&E is not the same as seeing Christ. The first is a witness through the Holy Ghost you will be exalted. The later is the Second Comforter(SC) which is to have Christ with you always. These are seperate blessings. C&E occurs before and sometimes at the same time. Than you continue to receive the SC.

I am in no position to state what you had but if I were to guess it was not your C&E. Its called baptism by fire, remission of sins, change of heart, etc... There are many examples of this in the book of mormon. I think it was Zeezrom that was overcome with the guilt of his sins it caused a great fever upon him. Later it was swept away due to his willing to give up his sins. In Enos 1, we have another example of this.

Quote:
4 And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens.

5 And there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.

6 And I, Enos, knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away.

7 And I said: Lord, how is it done?

8 And he said unto me: Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen. And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee cwhole.

Lorenzo Snow had a similar experience in Lesson 5 Student Manual, the grand destiny of the saints.

To determine if you have had your C&E (some can have received it and not know it)...

There are 3 suggested questions that are suggested means to the fastest way to make one's Calling and Election sure. These are:
1. Have I made my calling & Election sure? Wait for a response if you get a negative response, then ask...
2. May I have your promise, right now, that I will receive Exaltation & eternal Life? Wait for a response...
3. And only if you get a negative response ask the following...Who do I need to "become" to be worthy of the promise? Wait for a response...

The Lord will prove us, especially with patience if we haven't received it. Having your baptism by fire is a major stepping stone for members of the church. I think quite a few never even get to that point. Its this point we are now ready and being prepared to receive our C&E. I have a similar experience in my life (two of them) and I still sometimes doubt if they were my baptism by fire or something else but I keep reflecting back to it being my baptism by fire. So it must be.

-Zone (my username)
Re: Have I received my C&E? [message #2430 is a reply to message #2423] Tue, 07 May 2013 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

Joheri,

Welcome to the forum!

It certainly does sound like you experienced a mighty change at that point in your life! If you are uncertain about whether or not you have been offered your Calling & Election, I agree that the steps Zone posted that come from Elliaison's book are a very direct way to determine that - by going to the Father and ASKING him!

Guest wrote on Mon, 06 May 2013 13:28

1. Have I made my calling & Election sure? Wait for a response if you get a negative response, then ask...
2. May I have your promise, right now, that I will receive Exaltation & eternal Life? Wait for a response...
3. And only if you get a negative response ask the following...Who do I need to "become" to be worthy of the promise? Wait for a response...

You don't have to word these questions this way exactly. The point is to go to HIM. If you are able to recognize the voice of God through the Holy Ghost, you can ask and receive the answers you are looking for. Smile

If you feel comfortable, please keep us updated!

~Jules
Re: Have I received my C&E? [message #2435 is a reply to message #2430] Tue, 07 May 2013 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Dear Joheri,
Thank you for you sharing such a wonderful experience! I agree with some of the other comments that what you probably experienced was a change of heart or baptism by fire... It is something very significant that can be compared to a seed the Lord gave you to plant and nourish it so that it will grow into the fruit of Eternal Life.
I feel that Calling & Election is something very personnel between an individual and the Lord. Many will offer suggestions of what it should and should not be. Ultimately it will be something you will need to seek from the Lord. I feel when the promise is given, there will be no room for doubt that you have heard His voice speaking to you. Though you may not at that moment fully comprehend what has been given to you, you will not be able to deny having heard Him.

Yet even at that moment of C&E, there will be more blessings to seek and to strive for.. greatest one of all will be to receive the Second Comforter. Perhaps you have read, Denver Snuffer's book, Second Comforter or his one on Beloved Enos? These all use scripture accounts to show us the way or pattern to receive our C&E and receive Christ as Second Comforter.
All is not done until then. I believe it is important for us to remember that even our Savior, the greatest one of all, did not call himself "perfect" meaning "complete" until AFTER His Resurrection. He is our example to follow.
Re: Have I received my C&E? [message #2440 is a reply to message #2414] Wed, 08 May 2013 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joheri is currently offline  joheri
Thank you all for your answers! I feel your love and support. I now have no doubt that my experience was a baptism by fire. It has been a rock foundation to my testimony ever since.

Right now I am blessed through my calling as bishop, being able to minister unto members. I really feel like I am working alongside the saviour. There is definately a change going on in my heart where the typical church centered testimony is moving towards a Christ centered testimony. I see this as extremely important both to myself and the members of our ward. Their is a wave of doubt in our ward right now and when I speak with members going through tough times, it's almost exclusively due to their testimony being founded on the Church. The Church business is done by faulty members and will and have allways been affected by fallen men, regardless of their position in the hierarchy. But if their testimonies are founded on Christ, who is not changing, I believe their is a greater chance for a testimony withstand temptations.

I will continue to work on my C&E, which I feel will come Smile

- Joheri -
Re: Have I received my C&E? [message #2445 is a reply to message #2440] Thu, 09 May 2013 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bishop is currently offline  bishop
Joheri,

From the above posts, with the three questions that help one to receive CE, I believe the point is that when you receive your CE, you will know it for sure. AS McConkie stated in "Come, Listen to a Prophet's Voice" [hymn 21]."...keep this law with all thy might Till thine election's sure, Till thou shalt hear the holy voice Assure eternal reign,..." You will "hear a voice assure eternal reign." You will know just as you knew that your sins were forgiven before your baptism.

Bishop
Re: Have I received my C&E? [message #2852 is a reply to message #2423] Mon, 11 November 2013 20:39 Go to previous message
leejae is currently offline  leejae
Re: Zone's "instructions" above: that works. That worked for me, among whatever else brought me to the correct place in life - I can bear testimony of that. It was what I needed. Thanks, everybody. I was sent here to find what you've been writing. Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 11 November 2013 20:40]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: How to Know if You Have YOUR C&E Made Sure
Next Topic: Inheriting all that the Father has
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:13:27 MDT 2024