Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » The Pre-Mortal Council's Agenda (Lucifer's Contribution)
The Pre-Mortal Council's Agenda [message #2353] Sun, 31 March 2013 15:52 Go to next message
brrgilbert is currently offline  brrgilbert
As I was meditating during the Easter Sunday's Testimony Meeting, the Spirit came very strongly to me and revealed something that I had not before understood about the Pre-Mortal Council. It was made clear to me that Heavenly Father presented His plan relative to all of us receiving bodies. Therein, He described that many would sin and fall short in returning to His presence. Further, He explained that it was necessary for a Redeemer to be chosen who would come to earth and sacrifice or atone by shedding his (necessarily a Priesthood holder's) blood and give his life to satisfy and appease the demands of justice for our sins. At this juncture the Father asked (as we know,) "Whom shall I send." Jehovah stood because of His great love, and said that He would volunteer to be that Redeemer. Lucifer stood forth and presented an alternate plan, being another Son of the Morning, (perhaps a twin or elder brother??) saying that he could do it without having to pay the price of other's sins or shed his own blood by forcing everyone to be good; thereby, avoiding the penalties of justice and negating our free agency. As we are told, he wanted the glory without the penalty. It is no wonder that we shouted for joy when our Savior stepped forward and said, (as He would say in mortality,) "Not my will, but thine be done [Father.]" The Father responded, "I will send the first." Lucifer fell and revolted, in my opinion, 1.) out of fear in paying the price; meeting the requirements and 2.) out of jealousy for the Savior. It is apparent that Lucifer "lived" for the briefest of eternal moments in addressing the council, but that he became the "devil" ("lived" spelled backwards)when his popularity and plan failed. He did attain some success, as we definitely know, during his campaign causing others who, also, lived in that first estate to suffer spiritual death; forfeiting their chances for a second estate. We find him next in the Garden of Eden attempting to thwart the Father's plan in my opinion by, (as he supposed,) prematurely giving Adam and Eve knowledge of good and evil, to be followed by their premature immortality in partaking of the tree of life. His attempt was interrupted by the presence of Heavenly Father and the Cherubim guarding the way to the tree of life with a flaming sword.

"I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies."

The Little Prince by St. Exupery

[Updated on: Sun, 31 March 2013 16:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: The Pre-Mortal Council's Agenda [message #2651 is a reply to message #2353] Sat, 10 August 2013 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elejian is currently offline  Elejian
To me, agency involves choice and consequence.

The Father's plan (hugely oversimplified):

• Choose good, get good consequences
  • Choose bad, get bad consequences

One way to see Lucifer's plan is:
  • Forced to choose good, get good consequences

However, to me, it would seem like the carnal, natural man is very resistant to being forced. (Some may accuse the Church of following this plan!)

To me, Lucifer's plan would be more appealing to the carnal mind if it were this:
  • Choose anything, get good consequences ("Under the Father's plan, some of us will be lost! Lucifer, as God, is unconditionally loving, merciful, and tolerant. So under this plan, we won't force you to do anything. So choose whatever you want, Lucifer will pay the price, and you will be forgiven. In fact, since we guarantee your forgiveness and automatic salvation, you cannot do anything truly wrong, in the eternal sense. So why do we even need words like 'evil' and 'sin' in our vocabulary? Let's not label anyone or anything with such negative, intolerant words.")

[Updated on: Sat, 10 August 2013 19:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: The Pre-Mortal Council's Agenda [message #3370 is a reply to message #2353] Mon, 06 October 2014 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
When speaking of Lucifer's motivation for rebellion, and his refusal to accept Jehovah as the Messiah, there is one factor above all which prevented him from changing the course he was on. Lucifer did not have faith in Jehovah's ability to complete the task the Father required. His lack of faith caused him to offer another plan, one which could not fail. If you imagine that the salvation of billions of souls depends upon the choice of a single Man for a few hours out of eternity, it can be quite daunting to have faith in such a plan.

Yet those of us who have bodies know we did have faith in that plan. We now know that Jehovah DID make the right choice in Gethsemane and on Golgotha. Our faith has been rewarded. Those who lack faith in the Plan (of happiness, salvation, etc) will never know the joys of repentance or exaltation.

- Dragon
Re: The Pre-Mortal Council's Agenda [message #3372 is a reply to message #3370] Mon, 06 October 2014 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very insightful, Dragon, thank you. The Heaven's still weep. I feel the ambivalence in those tears . . . the sweet with the bitter. The consolation resides in knowing that there is no end to God's works; that marvelous are His ways and that His love fails not.

"I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies."

Re: The Pre-Mortal Council's Agenda [message #3662 is a reply to message #3372] Fri, 11 October 2019 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There was a Pre-Mortal endowment having to do with the reception of the "Light of Christ."

Re: The Pre-Mortal Council's Agenda [message #3664 is a reply to message #3662] Fri, 11 October 2019 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HeberC is currently offline  HeberC
I'm interested in hearing about the Light of Christ endowment.
Re: The Pre-Mortal Council's Agenda [message #3665 is a reply to message #3664] Sat, 12 October 2019 10:09 Go to previous message
Quote:
Moroni 7:
15 For behold, my brethren, it is given unto you to judge, that ye may know good from evil; and the way to judge is as plain, that ye may know with a perfect knowledge, as the daylight is from the dark night.
16 For behold, the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil; wherefore, I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God.
17 But whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do evil, and believe not in Christ, and deny him, and serve not God, then ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of the devil; for after this manner doth the devil work, for he persuadeth no man to do good, no, not one; neither do his angels; neither do they who subject themselves unto him.
18 And now, my brethren, seeing that ye know the light by which ye may judge, which light is the light of Christ, see that ye do not judge wrongfully; for with that same judgment which ye judge ye shall also be judged.
19 Wherefore, I beseech of you, brethren, that ye should search diligently in the light of Christ that ye may know good from evil; and if ye will lay hold upon every good thing, and condemn it not, ye certainly will be a child of Christ.
An endowment is a "gift." The first of all gifts that we receive from Father is the Pre-mortal guide that helps us to recognize the difference between light and darkness. Such is obtained by comparison and contrast; the yin and the yang, as it were. Initially, this took the form of recognition of the contrast made apparent in the War in Heaven. All of those who sustained Jehovah were granted the supernal gift of the "spark" of His essence and goodness. He was the means by which things attained cohesion, rather than separation; order, rather than chaos.

Quote:
Doctrine and Covenants 88:
6 He that ascended up on high, as also he descended below all things, in that he comprehended all things, that he might be in all and through all things, the light of truth;
7 Which truth shineth. This is the light of Christ. As also he is in the sun, and the light of the sun, and the power thereof by which it was made.
8 As also he is in the moon, and is the light of the moon, and the power thereof by which it was made;
9 As also the light of the stars, and the power thereof by which they were made;
10 And the earth also, and the power thereof, even the earth upon which you stand.
11 And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings;
12 Which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space--
13 The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the claw by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things.
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=206&private=0

Some definitions are in order, as illustrated by the foregoing picture. An "intelligence" is a particle of light. Intelligences, joined together, form a spirit and can, jointly, be referred to in the plural as intelligence, as well. It is modeled after the accumulation of live cells, each of which have mitochondria and life within itself, that form our bodies. We are "many." Some of that light which forms the essence of our spirit was radiated from Christ.

Further, it was during this initial endowment that Heavenly Father's children received various talents and spiritual gifts.

Quote:
1 Corinthians 12:
4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
The Melchizedek Priesthood endowment indicates that the very first endowment that we receive was based upon a new and revealed identity. I suggest that that is a reflection of the Pre-mortal gift we received, with the additional ones being the Holy Ghost, the "full" Spirit of Christ which teaches us how to properly LOVE, accumulating in the "full" Presence of Christ beyond the Veil.

Additional "Pre-Mortal" Endowments were given to those who desired to consecrate themselves, further, in the Lord's ministry, included reception of the Priesthood:

Quote:
Alma 13:
1 And again, my brethren, I would cite your minds forward to the time when the Lord God gave these commandments unto his children; and I would that ye should remember that the Lord God ordained priests, after his holy order, which was after the order of his Son, to teach these things unto the people.
2 And those priests were ordained after the order of his Son, in a manner that thereby the people might know in what manner to look forward to his Son for redemption.
3 And this is the manner after which they were ordained--being called and prepared from the foundation of the world according to the foreknowledge of God, on account of their exceeding faith and good works; in the first place being left to choose good or evil; therefore they having chosen good, and exercising exceedingly great faith, are called with a holy calling, yea, with that holy calling which was prepared with, and according to, a preparatory redemption for such.
4 And thus they have been called to this holy calling on account of their faith, while others would reject the Spirit of God on account of the hardness of their hearts and blindness of their minds, while, if it had not been for this they might have had as great privilege as their brethren.

Previous Topic: What Books Should be Studied as Scripture?
Next Topic: The Sabbath and The Lord's Day
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 19:39:17 MDT 2024