Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » Spiritual Ordinances without Physical Ordinances (Listing examples of God performing his own ordinances...)
Spiritual Ordinances without Physical Ordinances [message #2258] Fri, 01 March 2013 09:13 Go to next message
Amonhi is currently offline  Amonhi
Let's make a list of people receiving blessings and spiritual ordinances without physical ones. For example:

1 - The apostles in the old testament did received the Gift of the Holy Ghost without the laying on of hands? See Acts 2

2 - So did the gentiles who accepted the gospel. They weren't even baptized yet and they had received the gift of the Holy Ghost "as well as we" (Peter speaking). - Acts 10:44-47

3 - So did the disciples in the book of Mormon - 3 Nephi 19:13 (Christ specifically said that the 12 disciples would baptize with water but then added that he himself would baptize with the Holy Ghost and with fire.)

Quote:

And it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words unto Nephi, and to those who had been called, (now the number of them who had been called, and received power and authority to baptize, was twelve) and behold, he stretched forth his hand unto the multitude, and cried unto them, saying: Blessed are ye if ye shall give heed unto the words of these twelve whom I have chosen from among you to minister unto you, and to be your servants; and unto them I have given power that they may baptize you with water; and after that ye are baptized with water, behold, I will baptize you with fire and with the Holy Ghost; therefore blessed are ye if ye shall believe in me and be baptized, after that ye have seen me and know that I am." - 3Ne. 12:1

And so it was. Here is one of a number of similar examples...
Quote:

13 And it came to pass when they were all baptized and had come up out of the water, the Holy Ghost did fall upon them, and they were filled with the Holy Ghost and with fire. - 3Ne. 19:13

3 - Nephi received the Sealing Power by the voice of the Lord. God spoke and it was. - Hel. 10, the whole chapter

4 - Lamoni and his wife were "redeemed" and brought back into the presence of the Lord without so much as being baptized - Alma 19: 12-13 & 29

5 - Simeon had received the gift of the Holy Ghost before the people had been given the Mel. Priesthood which gives the Holy Ghost by the Laying on of Hands. And the Holy Ghost was his guide and brought him to the temple and showed him the Christ.
Quote:
25 And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him.

26 And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ.

27 And he came by the Spirit into the temple: and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him after the custom of the law,... - Luke 2:25-27

Can you add to this list? Can we get to a hundred?
Re: Spiritual Ordinances without Physical Ordinances [message #2355 is a reply to message #2258] Wed, 03 April 2013 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

6 - The saints who were assembled at Kirtland received their C&E as a group and by revelation, without the laying on of hands or a temple ceremony:

Quote:
1 Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you who have assembled yourselves together to receive his will concerning you:

2 Behold, this is pleasing unto your Lord, and the angels rejoice over you; the balms of your prayers have come up into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, and are recorded in the book of the names of the sanctified, even them of the celestial world.

3 Wherefore, I now send upon you another Comforter, even upon you my friends, that it may abide in your hearts, even the Holy Spirit of promise; which other Comforter is the same that I promised unto my disciples, as is recorded in the testimony of John.

4 This Comforter is the promise which I give unto you of eternal life, even the glory of the celestial kingdom;

5 Which glory is that of the church of the Firstborn, even of God, the holiest of all, through Jesus Christ his Son-- (D&C 88:1-5)

~Jules
Re: Spiritual Ordinances without Physical Ordinances [message #2357 is a reply to message #2258] Fri, 05 April 2013 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daryl is currently offline  Daryl
Thanks Jules, very astute. I'm glad you started this. I will looking out for new examples. Very exciting and refreshing idea to receive from the Lord without a physical/spiritual ordinance. This helps me explain some of my own experiences. AWESOME!!!
Re: Spiritual Ordinances without Physical Ordinances [message #2359 is a reply to message #2357] Sat, 06 April 2013 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

Daryl wrote on Fri, 05 April 2013 18:52
Thanks Jules, very astute. I'm glad you started this. I will looking out for new examples. Very exciting and refreshing idea to receive from the Lord without a physical/spiritual ordinance. This helps me explain some of my own experiences. AWESOME!!!

Actually, Amonhi started it Wink

7 - Enos received his Calling and Election without any temple ceremony or laying on of hands, or through any physical ordinance performed by man:

Quote:
5 And there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.

6 And I, Enos, knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away.

7 And I said: Lord, how is it done?

8 And he said unto me: Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen. And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee whole.

27 And I soon go to the place of my rest, which is with my Redeemer; for I know that in him I shall rest. And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father. Amen.

8 - The Lamanites were baptized by fire and the Holy Ghost by the FAITH of Nephi and Lehi, not by a physical ordinance.

Quote:
14 Behold, it was the faith of Nephi and Lehi that wrought the change upon the Lamanites, that they were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost.

~Jules
Re: Spiritual Ordinances without Physical Ordinances [message #2367 is a reply to message #2258] Mon, 08 April 2013 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brrgilbert is currently offline  brrgilbert
I believe that each estate has its own endowment and; therefore, ordinances which are "layered" and patterned after significant epiphanies that pertain thereto. Very much like music, they build to a crescendo when all the symbolism is revealed in its true form and character. The question that I feel is being posed, (if I might put it into contextual vernacular,) is, "Can a subsequent estate's ordinance precede its occurrence?" The answer would appear to be obvious relative to the priesthood and fore-ordination. (See Alma 13.) Experience demonstrates that Heavenly Father's children progress and learn at different rates; therefore, there are "honors" classes and opportunities afforded, as well as "remedial" classes and makeup sessions; transfigurations and damnations. So, too, it would be interesting to me to understand the definition of "spiritual ordinances" intended by the originator of this thread. As I see it, we come from a pre-mortal, spiritual realm to a mortal, physical realm to a spirit-world, spiritual realm to an immortal, physical/spiritual realm. (These places and conditions being "estates.") The question that I have, then, is which ordinances are we talking about if each estate has its own? Each stage of progression seems to add another layer of detail . . . until we attain the real thing. We experience fewer shadows until we emerge into light and what were once symbols are revealed as they really are. Some make realizations sooner than others. It takes time to come to oneself. Ordinances are symbols that represent events and; therefore, become events, themselves, that fore-shadow/preview or document/record.

"I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies."

The Little Prince by St. Exupery
Re: Spiritual Ordinances without Physical Ordinances [message #2370 is a reply to message #2367] Wed, 10 April 2013 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingdom of ZION is currently offline  Kingdom of ZION
Absolutely letter perfect! Aman Aman Aman. All Ordinances are a mark or sign offered up to the heavens that you seek the ratification or real ordinance administered and done by heavenly administrations or done in the heavens. Very few saints understand this!

Shalom

Coming of Eliyah is yet future, the Restoration of Yesrael and the Kingdom or Gospel and the other 2/3's of the Book of Mormon will follow. If Eliyah does not come, then with the coming of the Messiah, the earth shall be cursed and utterly wasted!
Re: Spiritual Ordinances without Physical Ordinances [message #2576 is a reply to message #2258] Tue, 18 June 2013 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elejian is currently offline  Elejian
9? - "And Esaias received it under the hand of God" (D&C 84:12).

I suppose this could have been physical, but even if it were, it would certainly be noteworthy.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 June 2013 14:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Spiritual Ordinances without Physical Ordinances [message #2577 is a reply to message #2576] Tue, 18 June 2013 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10 - Little children and "all they that are without the law" (which can have multiple meanings) do not need baptism (see Moroni 8)

[Updated on: Tue, 18 June 2013 14:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Spiritual Ordinances without Physical Ordinances [message #2655 is a reply to message #2258] Sun, 11 August 2013 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
11 - Alvin Smith and all who have died without a knowledge of the gospel, who would have received it with all their hearts (D&C 137)
Re: Spiritual Ordinances without Physical Ordinances [message #2857 is a reply to message #2655] Tue, 03 December 2013 23:21 Go to previous message
Amonhi is currently offline  Amonhi
After King Benjamin gave his address, the people fell to the ground and prayed and received the holy Ghost, remission of sins and the mighty change of heart without being baptized or having a single physical ordinance done.
Quote:
2 And they had viewed themselves in their own carnal state, even less than the dust of the earth. And they all cried aloud with one voice, saying: O have mercy, and apply the atoning blood of Christ that we may receive forgiveness of our sins, and our hearts may be purified; for we believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who created heaven and earth, and all things; who shall come down among the children of men.

3 And it came to pass that after they had spoken these words the Spirit of the Lord came upon them, and they were filled with joy, having received a remission of their sins, and having peace of conscience, because of the exceeding faith which they had in Jesus Christ who should come, according to the words which king Benjamin had spoken unto them.
Previous Topic: The light of Christ, Intelligence and the Priesthood
Next Topic: The remission of Sins does not require baptism
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:22:22 MDT 2024