Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Current Church Doctrine » The Greatest Attribute: LOVE (An Invitation to Share, Discuss, and Develop )
The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #2235] Sun, 24 February 2013 16:25 Go to next message
brrgilbert is currently offline  brrgilbert
The Greeks utilized four different words to categorize love. These words and types of love may be understood by their source of expressions in the following hierarchy: body, mind, heart, and soul.

EROS: Romantic Love (This word became the root to the word, "erotic." Love is a "giving" thing; whereas the perversion of EROS or "erotic" becomes a selfish or "taking" thing. I believe the Greeks intended this type of love as sharing.)

PHILEO: Brotherly Love (This word became the root of the word, "Philadelphia" or the City of Brotherly Love. It denotes "companionship" or "fellowship." I believe that this type of love is conditional, in that it depends upon the behaviors and actions of others. I think that a man is more disposed to this type of love. It very well may be the foundation of "sympathy" or "compassion.")

PIA: Nurturing Love (This type of love can best be described as the type of love that is manifest by a mother for their child. It denotes an "unconditional" love that is based upon the receiver's existence, rather than their actions. I believe that it is more prevalent among women than men. Men can learn to develop this type of love, but it is only through fatherhood. The woman is more pre-disposed to this type of love because her's is the first sacrifice given to bring a babe into existence. It is the foundation for "empathy.")

AGAPE: This is the word that is translated as "charity" in the scriptures and is the greatest of all the types of love. It involves more than the "unselfish sharing and caring" embodied in the previous forms. This type of love can only be gained by its revelation. It is the pure and perfect love of Christ and shall be examined in the remainder of this post. (Much of which will be a review for most of those in this forum.)

After Paul expounds the spiritual gifts that are given for the edification of the Saints and the Church found in 1 Corinthians 12, (bearing in mind that the chapter and verse divisions given are the constructs of the modern-day era,) he writes:

(1 Corinthians 12:31.)

31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

That more excellent way is given as charity, comprising all of the next chapter:

(1 Corinthians 13:1-13.)

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity

This is a remarkable treatise on this type of love. It was given by virtue of revelation and remains as one of the hallmarks and ideals of those seeking perfection in becoming like the Savior. Books upon books have been written on this topic. It is echoed in the words of Moroni:

(Moroni 7:45-48.)

45 And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
46 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail--
47 But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.
48 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen.

I have found the following commentary to be very useful in aiding my understanding:

"Both Paul and Mormon described the charitable person as one who:
1. Suffers long, bears all things. He or she is endowed with a portion of the love of God and thus, to some degree, with the patience and perspective of God toward people and circumstances. That person's vision of here and now (the present) is greatly affected by his glimpse of there and then (the future). It was by means of this pure love of Christ, which followed their spiritual rebirth (see Mosiah 28:3), that Alma and the sons of Mosiah were able to bear the burdens placed upon them, even persecution and rejection.
2. Is kind. Charity motivates such people to goodness, to benevolence and sensitivity toward the needs of others. People are their business. It was by means of this pure love of Christ that Ammon, son of Mosiah, was able to extend himself, kindly and lovingly, in the service of Lamoni and his household, to win their hearts, and to be an instrument in their conversion to the truths of the gospel (see Alma 17-19).
3. Envies not. Those who love the Lord and are filled with his love are much less prone to concern themselves with the acquisitions or accolades of others. Their joy is full in Christ (see D&C 101:36). They find happiness in simple pleasures and delight in God's goodness to them. It is by means of this pure love of Christ, this anchor to the soul, that people are able to ignore- to give no heed to- the tauntings and temptations of those who chant and proselyte from the great and spacious building (see 1 Nephi 8 ).
4. Is not puffed up, seeks not his own. The charitable person seeks diligently to turn attention away from self and toward God. He or she eagerly acknowledges the hand of the Lord in all things and is hesitant to take personal credit for accomplishments. Such a one is void of pride. Mormon spoke of a time when many of the Nephites were lifted up in pride, so much so that they proved a major stumbling block to the Church, and "the church began to fail in its progress" (Alma 4:10). At the same time, in this day of inequality and wickedness there were others who, filled with the love of God, were "abasing themselves, succoring those who stood in need of their succor, such as imparting their substance to the poor and the needy, feeding the hungry, and suffering all manner of afflictions, for Christ's sake, who should come according to the spirit of prophecy" (Alma 4:13).
5. Is not easily provoked. Those filled with the love of Christ are meek; theirs is a quiet but pervasive poise under provocation. Because the Lord has begun to remake their hearts they do not express anger, because they do not experience anger. Because of their trust in the Almighty and the power and perspective of that love which flows from him, Alma and Amulek were able to view the hideous scene of women and children being sent to the flames because of their acceptance of the truth. As their Master would do over a century later on another hemisphere, they stood with meek majesty before the tauntings and assaults of the unholy. (See Alma 14.)
6. Thinks no evil. Such persons' minds are on things of righteousness, their desires are for that which builds and strengthens and encourages. They have no secret agenda, no private yearnings for personal aggrandizement, only a heart focused on the Lord and his kingdom. "Behold," Nephi wrote, "my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard" (2 Nephi 4:16).
7. Rejoices not in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth. The charitable person is repulsed by sin, though anxious to fellowship and lift the sinner. He or she is pained by the waywardness of the world and labors tirelessly to extend gospel assistance to those who stray from the path of peace. At the same time this person delights in the Spirit, in goodness, in noble accomplishments and discoveries, no matter what the source. Filled with a portion of the Lord's love, this person, like the people of Benjamin, has no more disposition to do evil but rather to do good continually (see Mosiah 5:2). Though possessed with love for the wayward, he or she cannot look upon sin save it be with abhorrence (see Alma 13:12).
8. Believes all things. One possessed of charity is not naive or gullible but is simply open to truth. He or she enjoys the spiritual gift of a believing heart and has little or no difficulty in accepting the words and following the counsel of those called to direct the destiny of the Church. Because such people are believing in nature, all things work together for their good (see D&C 90:24). Like Sam, son of Lehi, the charitable person readily believes on the testimony of one who knows (see 1 Nephi 2:17; compare D&C 46:13-14).
9. Hopes all things. Such persons have a firm hope in Christ, a quiet but dynamic assurance that, even though they are imperfect, they are on course, that the Lord is pleased with their lives, that eternal life is at the end of the path. "What is it that ye shall hope for?" Mormon asked of the humble followers of Christ. "Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal" (Moroni 7:41).
10. Endures all things. No matter what the true follower of Christ is required to pass through, he or she proceeds as called. Neither the shame of the world nor the threat of physical death can deter one who is bent upon enjoying the love of God everlastingly. "If ye shall press forward," Nephi wrote, "feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life" (2 Nephi 31:20).
46. If ye have not charity, ye are nothing] Paul stated this same idea powerfully when he wrote: "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all may goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing." (1 Corinthians 13:1-3.) It is true that service sanctifies, that service is essential to salvation. But charity is more than service; it is, in fact, a manifestation of the Spirit and as such is the proper motivation for service. As discussed under verse 48, though it is vital to be endowed with charity in order to bless the lives of others through Christian service, the overriding purpose of charity is to renew our souls and make us even like our exalted Lord.
46. Charity never faileth] Though there will come a time when we will be endowed with the Knowledge and vision and powers of Good-by which time the gifts of prophecy and revelation and knowledge available on earth will have served their rightful functions-there will never be a time in all eternity when charity will not be burning brightly in the souls of the sanctified.
46. The greatest of all] Charity is the highest of all the spiritual gifts, the capstone of spiritual endowments. It is, in the language of Paul, "a more excellent way" (1 Corinthians 12:31). To be endowed with charity is to be clothed in the mantle of perfectness and peace (see D&C 88:125).
47. Charity is the pure love of Christ] This statement has two possible (and certainly related) meanings: (1) one who has charity loves others purely, just as Christ does; and (2) one who has charity loves Christ purely. Pure love comes from a pure source, from God. It is not and cannot be generated by man; it comes from heaven. It is in Christ who is symbolized by the tree of life toward which all men and women press who seek eternal life (see Commentary 1:76-77); it is the love of God which "sheddeth itself abroad in the hearts of the children of men" (1 Nephi 11:22). Indeed, as Moroni explained, the love which Christ has had for the children of men is charity (see Ether 12:34).
48. Here we come to the heart of the matter. Charity is a gift of the Spirit. It is bestowed by God. One does not" work on" his charity any more than he might work on his prophecy, dreams, visions, or discernment. Charity is that "more excellent way" (see 1 Corinthians 12:31) that comes by and through the Holy Ghost as one of the gifts of God. It is true that we have a responsibility to give of ourselves in service to others as a part of our covenantal obligation as Christians (see Mosiah 18:8-10; James 2:8). It is true that service is essential to salvation. But service and charity are not necessarily the same. Charity is "the highest, noblest, strongest kind of love, not merely affection; the pure love of Christ. It [the term] is never used to denote alms or deeds or benevolence, although it may be a prompting motive." (LDS Bible Dictionary, p. 632.) That is, charity is that gift of the Spirit which motivates us to greater goodness, specifically greater service and compassion for others. In a manner of speaking, we can serve people without loving them; we cannot truly love them (as the Lord does) without serving them. Bruce C. Hafen has written: "Our own internally generated compassion for the needs of others is a crucial indication of our desire to be followers of the Savior. . . . For that reason, we must be reaching out to others even as we reach out to God, rather than waiting to respond to others' needs until our charitable instincts are quickened by the Spirit. But even them, charity in its full-blown sense is 'bestowed upon' Christ's righteous followers. Its source, like all other blessings of the Atonement, is the grace of God." (The Broken Heart, pp. 195-96.)
When Benjamin challenged his people (and us) to be spiritually reborn, to put off the natural man and become a saint through the atonement of Christ, he further instructed us to become as little children-"submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict" upon us (Mosiah 3:19, italics added). Likewise, Alma warned the people of Ammonihah against procrastination: "But that ye would humble yourselves before the Lord, and call on his holy name, and watch and pray continually, that ye may not be tempted above that which ye can bear, and thus be led by the Holy Spirit, becoming humble, meek, submissive, patient, full of love and all long-suffering"; having faith on the Lord; having a hope that ye shall receive eternal life; having the love of God always in your hearts, that ye may be lifted up at the last day and enter into his rest" (Alma 13:28, italics added).
We see from Mormon's profound pronouncement, then, that the purpose of charity is not just to motivate us to Christian service (as important as such is), but also to sanctify its from sin and prepare us not only to be with God but also to he like him (see Ether 12:34). In Mormon's words, those who become sons and daughters of Jesus Christ-who have applied the atoning blood of the Savior and have been born again as to the things of righteousness-are the ones upon whom the Lord bestows this gift. Bruce C. Hafen thus explained:
"The ultimate purpose of the gospel of Jesus Christ is to cause the sons and daughters of God to become as Christ is. Those who see religions purpose only in terms of ethical service in the relationship between man and fellowmen may miss that divinely ordained possibility. It is quite possible to render charitable-even 'Christian'-service without developing deeply ingrained and permanent Christlike character. Paul understood this when he ,warned against giving all one' goods to feed the poor without true charity.... We can give without loving, but we cannot love without giving. If our vertical relationship with God is complete, then, by the fruit of that relationship, the horizontal relationship with our fellow beings will also be complete. We then act charitably toward others, not merely because we think we should, but because that is the way we are.
"Service to others will surely bring us closer to God, especially when motivated by an unselfish sense of personal compassion. But even such desirable service will not of itself complete our relationship with God, because it will not by itself result in the bestowal of the complete attributes of godliness. That bestowal requires the ordinances and doctrines of the restored gospel and all the other elements of sacrifice and obedience spelled out in the scriptures. For that reason, while religions philosophies whose highest aim is social relevance may do much good, they will not ultimately lead people to achieve the highest religious purpose, which is to become as God and Christ are." (The Broken Heart, pp. 196-97.)
Joseph Smith the Prophet observed: "There is a love from God that should he exercised toward those of our faith, who walk uprightly, which is peculiar to itself, but it is without prejudice; it also gives scope to the mind, which enables us to conduct ourselves with greater liberally towards all that are not of our faith than what they exercise towards one another These principles approximate mate nearer to the mind of God, because it is like God, or God like." (Teachings, p. 147.)
48. When he shall appear we shall be like him] See 1 John 3:1-2. We speak much in the Church about one day being with our Heavenly Father. The only way we can qualify to do that is to be transformed by the blood of Christ through that healing medium we know as the Holy Ghost, so that we truly become the sons and daughters of Jesus Christ. Then we shall be like him, and shall dwell with him in comfort and with confidence. Of that glorious day the Psalmist wrote: As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness" (Psalms 17:15)."

(Joseph Fielding McConkie and Robert L. Millet, Doctrinal Commentary on the Book of Mormon, 4 vols. [Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1987-1992], 4: 343.)

(1 Corinthians 8:1-3.)

1 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
2 And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.
3 But if any man love God, the same is known of him

(1 Timothy 1:5.)

5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:

(1 Peter 4:8.)

8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

(Alma 7:24.)

24 And see that ye have faith, hope, and charity, and then ye will always abound in good works.

"I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies."

The Little Prince by St. Exupery
Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #2236 is a reply to message #2235] Sun, 24 February 2013 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was taught an acronym that depicted the hierarchy of love that we needed to develop. I should like to share it.
J: Jesus (Deity)
O: Others
Y: Yourself

I believe that this IS the key to experiencing real "joy" in life and in our existence.
Probably the greatest challenge that I have faced in my mortal probation is the "yourself" part. Without going into much detail, I grew up without having the nurturing love of a mother to assist me with my "self-image." I genetically inherited the same "chemical imbalance" that took her from me. Too, I was born with a cleft palate. These things, among others, have placed a burden upon me in the realm of loving self. I have learned that we will spend our whole life in learning who we are . . . that, if we are true and faithful, that image will appear to us as we behold through our decreasingly dark glass.
I pose the question to the reader as to what are some of the helps and messages that you have received that have helped you to love God, others or yourself. Hopefully these will be in the form of revelations, experiences, testimonies, etc. about love.

"I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies."

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #2237 is a reply to message #2235] Sun, 24 February 2013 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In a recent conversation with my wife it became apparent that she defines herself in terms of what she does. It was very important to me that I help her realize that she is not what she does, but rather who she is that matters. It caused me to ponder those things that go into our "loving of self." I thought about the humor expressed with the philosophical statements: (Socrates) "To Be is To Do;" and (Sartre) "To Do is To Be," and (Sinatra) "Do, Be, Do, Be, Do." In levity, this is entertaining, but I found it enlightening, as well. I realize that the essence of being is the ability to act or to do. In the ability to act, we further define ourselves in a revealing of our faith, hope, and charity; our being. It is all in the manner that we define ourselves. Sinatra missed a step, but I think that it does follow; "Be, Do, Be, Do, Be." We have to love ourselves for who we are, first, and then we can love ourselves for what we do. It is true that we love Him because He first loved us. I have really wondered if the "love thy neighbor as thyself" really means that we can only love someone else to the extent that we love ourselves?" I don't know, but I would be interested to get other opinions about this.

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #2261 is a reply to message #2235] Tue, 05 March 2013 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am beginning to understand that it is only in the feeling of love that we are able to share it with others. Truly, then, we must love ourselves before we can love another . . . stated in another way: God's love for us must be manifested and revealed to us as a seed before it can grow up within us as a tree of life; blessing the lives of others. We love Him because He first loved us.

I was traveling from Tulsa, Oklahoma on a home bound flight to Salt Lake City. I had my scriptures opened and was reading the New Testament. A young lady across the isle identified herself as a student of Oral Roberts University and was wondering what I was reading in particular. I replied that I was reading the Savior's simile, "Ye are the salt of the earth . . ." She smiled and asked me the question, "Do you know what is unique about salt?" I hesitated and meditated and gave my thoughts; something about seasoning. She replied, "Salt makes you thirsty." Immediately I realized her insight, for which I remain appreciative. We are the salt of the earth . . . by our examples we can cause others to be thirsty for that which we have or are. This helps me to realize that it is only by reflecting the Savior's love that we can allow Him to draw people onto Himself. Love is the greatest gift that we can receive and thereby share. It is the only one which will allow us to quench thirst, ours or that of another. I have much to learn about this greatest attribute. I remain thirsty. Sometimes I am a sponge. I find myself drawn to the fountain of living water; I've identified the tree of life.

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #2285 is a reply to message #2261] Sun, 10 March 2013 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

I really appreciate these thoughts - and what an awesome insight, regarding the salt!

~Jules
Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #2294 is a reply to message #2235] Tue, 12 March 2013 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been conducting somewhat of an experiment with my loved ones, lately. I have asked them what "perfection" means to them. I have gotten some very interesting responses and have reached a tentative conclusion. It seems to me that we really don't have a grasp of what it means to be perfect. A typical response is to be like Jesus . . . which is true . . . except when it goes beyond that and a follow-up question is asked, "What was Jesus like?" The responses get even more interesting. I have been been told that perfection is the pinnacle of being whole and complete. I ask, "In what way?" To make things short and to get to the purpose of this message, it would seem that we have this fantastic, complicated concept of what "perfection" really means and in reality, as I have learned, it is something very different from the "telestial" concept of "all encompassing."

The virtue of the Christ and His perfection centers in the ability to love wholly and unconditionally. When we as people reach this "perfection" and become a Zion society, (pure in heart,) we will have obtained the goal of Heavenly Father. There is no "cookie cutter" mold of perfection; we will not be "perfect" at twirling a ball on the end of our noses or keeping the house "perfectly" clean or being exceptional at every task . . . only and magnificently in our ability to love. I believe that Satan has been very successful at skewing and confusing what the object and goal of perfection really is.

We will not be clones of one another in a perfected state. We will have separate and distinct personalities, as we do now. We will not judge ourselves so harshly or view the glass "half empty." We will be "perfectly us" and we will love all of God's creations. Judging will be for identification and not condemnation. We will recognize and honor the true worth of every intelligence.

The Prophet Joseph Smith made the comment as found in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith that the same sociality that exists among us here will exist among us there in the Celestial realm. I feel so bad for those who have such an unrealistic goal of perfection. They make it into something that is so unobtainable that they keep themselves out of the Kingdom of Heaven. Their hands are tied even before they sit at the meal.

The inference is; therefore, that there are those in mortality who have qualified for their calling and election and HAVE become just men made perfect and just women made perfect because of their capacity and ability to love. Each of us may have an exceptional mortal example of the magnitude of this. Such is the charter of being like Jesus.

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #2384 is a reply to message #2294] Fri, 19 April 2013 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bishop is currently offline  bishop
Brrgilbert wrote: "The inference is; therefore, that there are those in mortality who have qualified for their calling and election and HAVE become just men made perfect and just women made perfect because of their capacity and ability to love. Each of us may have an exceptional mortal example of the magnitude of this. Such is the charter of being like Jesus."

I concur with this thought. Only when one learns to truly love his neighbor more than himself can he receive his CE. Furthermore, to become joint heirs with Christ [and have all things as our dominion], we must learn to be filled with charity towards all things. I recently learned this by being given a different slant on one of the often quoted LDS scriptures. I have removed a phrase so that you will get this message:

D&C 121: 45 Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.
46 The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever.
We usually emphasize the "virtue" part of this scripture, but if we emphasize the "charity" part, we learn how God governs the universe. Without compulsory means, his dominion flows unto him forever and ever. We must learn to be full of charity so that we can inherit all things. Inheriting all things means that all things want to be within our dominion [i.e. without compulsory means, they flow unto us for ever and ever].
Stated in another way, because all things have their agency, the only way they will be in our dominion in eternity is if they choose to be. The way to entice them to be in our dominion is by means of loving them in true charitable fashion. This is the grand key to becoming like God. This is also the great secret of leadership in any capacity. We cannot inherit all things without being filled with charity towards all things, because all things have a spirit, and all things have agency to choose who will be over them.
So we can see that the two great laws of Heaven are Agency and Charity, which go hand in hand and can hardly be separated in actual application. If the truth be known, we would find that charity is the great power by which God rules the universe, not any other force. Without charity, he ceases to be God, and is powerless; his dominion leaves. Without charity, we will never become as God. We will be powerless. This is why Satan will ultimately lose, because the world which he has created is based on fear, hate, lust, physical force, etc. But in eternity, these things are of no consequence. Charity and Agency reign supreme.

Bishop
Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #2390 is a reply to message #2235] Tue, 23 April 2013 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kenh is currently offline  kenh
Yes, I agree with your post. If virtue is to garnish our thoughts unceasingly, then charity must also fill our hearts unceasingly for it is the greatest virtue. One of my axioms that I live by is,"To love someone for the person that they are is good, but to love someone for the person that they can become is charity. And yes it never faileth!" Thanks for the post.
Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #2458 is a reply to message #2235] Tue, 14 May 2013 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lehi's dream had such an impact that Nephi desired to experience the same thing. The Lord was gracious enough to allow him to see the things that his father had seen. The central object of the entire experience was, and should be to us; the tree of life. Nephi explains to us that this represents and is the love of God. It is a real tree with roots, a trunk, branches, leaves, and white, precious fruit. Such a tree was located in the Garden of Eden. It is mentioned in Revelations as being in the midst of paradise. Adam and Eve partook of this tree assuring them of eternal life in the Garden. It truly was a tree of life to them. The opposing tree was one that represented death. From its branches could be plucked the bitter fruit of the knowledge of good and evil. Its deadly nourishment represented judgement. Its vile flavor was one of condemnation; a deadly savor cherished by its advocate in the realization that those who would partake of it would judge themselves and others in finding fault or bad - resulting in their destruction. (Judgement is for identification and not condemnation.) "See, you are naked, go and hide!" Identification was made; however, hiding and fleeing from truth represented condemnation. They were banished from the Garden in an effort to recover them from their "growth." It has been said that they fell, but they fell forward. Too, it should be realized that falling is a necessary part of learning how to walk.

Cheribum and a flaming sword was placed to guard the way to the tree of life or the love of God lest Adam and Eve should partake and live forever in their sins.

You may ask yourself why this narrative finds its way into this thread on the greatest attribute of love. With permission and forbearance as a reader, consider the following observations as they pertain to growth and understanding. As has been stated, "judgement is meant for identification and not condemnation." From the trunk of that tree of knowledge of good and evil, effectively every one of us have been whittled a wooden ruler or measuring stick. By it we size up our world; ourselves, others, and everything in it to categorize it into "good" or "bad." We have been taught to reject the bad. It is vitally important for our growth, however, that we "get it right" and put things in "proper perspective." The instruction to "go and hide" perpetuated FEAR of those things that were "perceived" as bad. The problem we seem to have is the realization that the measuring stick was meant to be our own . . . to measure OURSELVES as to what WE needed to embrace or avoid in order to grow. We make the mistake in many ways and in many times by attempting to force our "measurement" onto other people. We judge, sentence and condemn them for not measuring up and then we hide because we cannot tolerate the nakedness that we have projected upon them; really it is our own. Effectively we try to force them to measure up to our values or standards without realizing that they have their own ruler or measuring device with which they gauge their own world. Surprise, surprise! Not all personal measuring devices, rulers, or sticks are the same size. "Unto whom much is given, much is expected." Unto some of our fellow mortal sojourners not much is given. They may not have the knowledge, opportunities, resources, blessings, etc. that we have. They cannot and should not be measured by our "devices." They should not be condemned, but identified. It is my attempt to do so.

Recall the reference to the Cheribum and the flaming sword guarding the way to the tree of life amidst of the Garden. There are other Cheribum mentioned . . . and a very important understanding is meant to be shared with THEIR identification. In the most holy place in the tabernacle that Moses constructed by the Lord's command, there was located a gold covered box that contained the tablets upon which were written by the finger of the Lord, the law. Covering this sacred vessel was a seat, called the Mercy Seat upon which where found the statues of two Cheribim with their wings spread. The High Priest would, once a year, sit under the wings of the Cheribim upon the Mercy Seat and speak with the Lord. This Ark of the Covenant was placed in the Holy of Holies in the temple. Quickly reference that our bodies are temples and in Hebrews it mentions how Christ has entered into that holy place to make intercession for us. I believe that the Holy of Holies represents our heart and that the Ark of the Covenant represents our heart of hearts. In and upon our hearts the Lord has written His law. In our hearts the Savior has entered in. He is meant to sit with us on the Mercy Seat under the Cheribim to return us to the tree of life; the love of God. Fear not the flaming sword. It is to separate us from judgement and provide us with the burning within our bossom. Return from the tree of death; the tree of knowledge of good and evil; the tree of judgement and condemnation of self and others. Partake not of the bitterness of its fruit. Come to the tree of life; the love of God; the fountain of living water. Partake of the sweet fruit of love. See ye are naked, be not afraid. God will clothe you. Sit upon the mercy seat; extend it and receive it. The Cheribim shall cover us and be around about us.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 May 2013 09:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #2678 is a reply to message #2235] Thu, 15 August 2013 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elejian is currently offline  Elejian
I have a question.

Years ago, I was going through all the occurrences of the Greek agape/agapao in the New Testament, to test my hypothesis that agape means "divine love/charity".

My hypothesis was holding, until I came across Luke 11:43, which threatens it: "Woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye love [agapao] the uppermost seats in the synagogues, and greetings in the markets."

So I have had to rethink things. There are at least 2 options:
  1. Agape still means "divine love/charity," and Christ was speaking to the Pharisees, who did not truly have agape, with hyperbole (exaggeration), and possibly even sarcasm(?).
  2. Agape doesn't mean "divine love/charity," but merely means a "deep love."
Any opinions?
Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #3401 is a reply to message #2678] Tue, 09 December 2014 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elejian wrote on Thu, 15 August 2013 22:29
I have a question.

Years ago, I was going through all the occurrences of the Greek agape/agapao in the New Testament, to test my hypothesis that agape means "divine love/charity".

My hypothesis was holding, until I came across Luke 11:43, which threatens it: "Woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye love [agapao] the uppermost seats in the synagogues, and greetings in the markets."

So I have had to rethink things. There are at least 2 options:

1. Agape still means "divine love/charity," and Christ was speaking to the Pharisees, who did not truly have agape, with hyperbole (exaggeration), and possibly even sarcasm(?).
  2. Agape doesn't mean "divine love/charity," but merely means a "deep love."
Any opinions?

Agape infers "consecrated" love or that which is done with heart, might, mind, and strength. It involves a "whole soul" effort. The "whole souled/hearted" pursuit of superiority and popularity is a "woe" because the gifts and talents which have been shared among all of God's children cannot make one "superior" or "better" than anyone else, only different. "At-one-ment" infers "just as good as; just as capable as; just as popular as," giving us all opportunity to grow, develop and learn from one another - proceeding from exaltation to exaltation. There is an eternal law by which "like begets like" and pertains to the law of the harvest. In this fashion, honor and respect can only be attained by honoring and respecting others. To consecrate oneself to the attainment of a gift rather than to the giver of such a gift, misplaces the consecration and identifies what is really loved.

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #3661 is a reply to message #3401] Fri, 11 October 2019 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Greatest Attribute: LOVE is, also, the key that unlocks the greatest paradox.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=205&private=0

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #3677 is a reply to message #3661] Mon, 21 October 2019 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=215&private=0

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #3718 is a reply to message #3677] Sat, 16 November 2019 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=231&private=0

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #3729 is a reply to message #3718] Sun, 17 November 2019 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=233&private=0

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #3742 is a reply to message #3729] Thu, 28 November 2019 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PIGEON TESTS NEVER FAIL

Alas, a pigeon is set free;
"A Pigeon Test;" allowed to flee!
Perchance to return to your "nest?"
Upon the "Trainer's" arm, give "rest?"

Be it known that not all "fly back,"
Tethers loosened; no more to track!
Hopefully, of "love," their "test" is made
And in "real" liberty, they are bade.

Return or not, they are given way
To venture forth or even "stray."
In returning, they're made "yours,"
Complying with "wishes;" given chores.

If they leave, they are their "own,"
Freedom's desire within them sown.
'Tis certain they go to find a home;
A peaceful repose, no more to roam.

Joy need "remain" in the "Trainer's" heart
For having played the "Student's" part!
Learned are lessons between "love" and "passion,"
For one is "possessive" after a fashion.

Only "Stool Pigeons" shoulder a blame,
Having deserted "passion's" burnt flame.
"Carrier Pigeons," a message to retain,
Deliver to "others," and all is in gain.

But by viewing majestic wings being "spread,"
Do NOT contemplate the loneliness bred!
"Real" love of another, does not "own,"
For in the joy of the other, fulfillment is prone.

*"If you love someone, set them free!"
'Tis a "TEST" to determine what is to be.
*"If they come back, then they are yours,"
If not, to repose on more blissful shores.
(* Originated by Richard Bach, Author of "Jonathan Livingston Seagull")

What ever the case, let your "love" abound
Because there is "joy" in what they have found.
There IS fulfillment in playing "love's" part
When experiencing the "joy" in the other's "full heart."

So, "Pigeon Tests" can NEVER fail,
Even in great winds of a hurricane's gale!
Consecrated devotion to another, NOT PERISH
Its not "love's quest" to possess, but to CHERISH!

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #3743 is a reply to message #3742] Thu, 28 November 2019 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One ought to learn the difference between a "Dove" and a "Pigeon."

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #3744 is a reply to message #3743] Thu, 28 November 2019 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=242&private=0

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #3745 is a reply to message #3744] Thu, 28 November 2019 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Reiteration of the Truth . . . as in the beginning, hopefully with a more full understanding - prompting "realization" in a fallen world:

Quote:
Moroni 7:
45 And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
46 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail--
47 But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.
48 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen.
Perfection resides in being justified, sanctified and eventually purified. The inference that is made by The Prophet, Moroni, is that only in "consecrated loving" can purification be attained.

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #3746 is a reply to message #3745] Thu, 28 November 2019 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=243&private=0
  • Attachment: Empathy.PNG
    (Size: 477.79KB, Downloaded 364 times)

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #3747 is a reply to message #3746] Fri, 29 November 2019 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=244&private=0

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #3783 is a reply to message #3747] Sat, 07 December 2019 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
https://thumbs2.imgbox.com/8a/4c/z0fmyvET_t.png

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #3789 is a reply to message #3783] Sun, 08 December 2019 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=276&private=0

[Updated on: Sun, 08 December 2019 03:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #3795 is a reply to message #3789] Fri, 13 December 2019 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=278&private=0
  • Attachment: Grief.PNG
    (Size: 224.62KB, Downloaded 345 times)

Re: The Greatest Attribute: LOVE [message #3819 is a reply to message #3795] Sat, 04 January 2020 07:59 Go to previous message
Harmony is the PRELUDE to Peace.

Previous Topic: Believe vs Know
Next Topic: Cultivating Humor: The Council of Fifty
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:01:40 MDT 2024