Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Calling and Election Made Sure » How You Received Your Calling and Election Made Sure » My Story (Accepting the truth)
My Story [message #2147] Fri, 01 February 2013 01:52 Go to next message
Called to Serve is currently offline  Called to Serve
As a member of the LDSFF, I came across Amonhi's admonition to pray and ask if we had already had our calling and election made sure. At the time I only visited the private section of the forum, but everyone there was talking so much about this thread Amonhi had started that I ventured "out" for the first time in months to see what all the fuss was about. I knew that it was sound advice and knew that I ought to pray but I struggled with it anyway. I knew that if the answer was yes, and something told me it would be, that I would have a hard time accepting it.

Well, I couldn't ignore the promptings of the Spirit, so I knelt down and prayed and sure enough, the answer was yes. It was a very calm, quiet yes, no great swelling of the Spirit or anything. I suppose the Lord knew that I would struggle with it and that was part of His plan, so He didn't do anything spectacular to convince me.

I grappled with the question for months but eventually I just came to accept it. It was like it grew on me or in me until I knew it was true. I think the other things I was learning through the Spirit led to my acceptance because I stopped expecting to have to act a certain way to be perfect. I know many people say that you don't have to be perfect to have your calling and election made sure, and maybe that is true, but that was my expectation. However, I believe that perfect love has more to do with perfection than acting certain ways and the Lord has shown me over the past few months that I am filled with charity. And so, despite my wide variety of weaknesses and flaws, I can accept myself as perfect. I am accepting of others as well, despite their imperfections. The only thing that truly offends me is when others qualify others, placing them on a scale above or below others.

So I accept that my calling and election is made sure because I believe that I have been perfected in Christ. I believe that in the most important way, I am like Him. I haven't calmed any storms lately or risen any dead, but I know that I would give up everything for others if it would help them progress toward God and that is all I need to know.

Unlike Ashley, I never wondered or asked when the exact moment was that it happened. I guess that wasn't really important to me to know. It was just important to me to know that it had been made sure. I am content now in that knowledge and struggling instead with learning the lessons I need to to fulfill my life's mission. What a journey I am on!
Re: My Story [message #2149 is a reply to message #2147] Fri, 01 February 2013 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

CTS, I am soooooooo happy to new reading this!!! I am thrilled that you have accepted the promise! Very Happy

~Jules
Re: My Story [message #2166 is a reply to message #2149] Sun, 03 February 2013 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ashleyd is currently offline  Ashleyd
Thank you so much for sharing your experience CTS. Smile I think its so amazing the Faith that you and others have. You didn't even need to ask the question " Lord, how is it done?" You have great Faith in the true character of Christ and that He is mighty to save. As I think about my experiences now through the lens of more time... I actually don't think the promise was offered then. I believe it was offered actually before that. I believe that experience in the temple was given me for a reason. And that the Lord used that experience to answer my prayer. I needed to have some specific time to aid me in belief. So in His mercy He said, " Ok, then here it was."

I think about how my up bringing and childhood have colored my images of Christ and of myself. We all struggle with with that in a way. There just seem to be certain things that are an Aquiles heal for me.

Thank you for sharing again. I felt the spirit as I read your words and you helped me articulate something I have been feeling for a while. I am so happy you know these things. I am grateful for your example and the simple Faith you show me. Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 03 February 2013 00:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: My Story [message #2174 is a reply to message #2166] Sun, 03 February 2013 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Jules and Ashley.

And thanks Ashley for clarifying about your temple experience. Actually I was a bit confused because I also had a similar experience but it was far before I feel that my calling and election was made sure. So I puzzled over that quite a bit and wondered what it meant, if it was the same for me, and so forth. I'm still wondering now what I meant. I had a similar experience with the sacrament. I recall one day feeling the Spirit so strongly as the sacrament was passed that I actually had to restrain myself from crying out "thank you!" to the young man who was passing the tray down my aisle. Smile I haven't had this experience with any other ordinance, so I'm kind of wondering what they mean.

Anyway, thanks again.

Ashleyd wrote on Sun, 03 February 2013 00:39
Thank you so much for sharing your experience CTS. Smile I think its so amazing the Faith that you and others have. You didn't even need to ask the question " Lord, how is it done?" You have great Faith in the true character of Christ and that He is mighty to save. As I think about my experiences now through the lens of more time... I actually don't think the promise was offered then. I believe it was offered actually before that. I believe that experience in the temple was given me for a reason. And that the Lord used that experience to answer my prayer. I needed to have some specific time to aid me in belief. So in His mercy He said, " Ok, then here it was."

I think about how my up bringing and childhood have colored my images of Christ and of myself. We all struggle with with that in a way. There just seem to be certain things that are an Aquiles heal for me.

Thank you for sharing again. I felt the spirit as I read your words and you helped me articulate something I have been feeling for a while. I am so happy you know these things. I am grateful for your example and the simple Faith you show me. Smile

Re: My Story [message #2176 is a reply to message #2147] Sun, 03 February 2013 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daryl is currently offline  Daryl
CTS, thanks for sharing your story. I am glad you are here with us. Smile

Question: Did you write this book on your blog?
The-First-Baptism http://www.rosefromarock.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/The-First-Baptism.pdf

I really have enjoyed reading it. Especially the story about washing clothes day. I related to that story on so many levels. Thanks.

[Updated on: Sun, 03 February 2013 23:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: My Story [message #2179 is a reply to message #2176] Mon, 04 February 2013 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daryl wrote on Sun, 03 February 2013 22:55
CTS, thanks for sharing your story. I am glad you are here with us. Smile

Question: Did you write this book on your blog?
The-First-Baptism http://www.rosefromarock.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/The-First-Baptism.pdf

I really have enjoyed reading it. Especially the story about washing clothes day. I related to that story on so many levels. Thanks.

Yes, I did write it. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Are you talking about the story where I got mad at my younger brother because he left me behind on laundry day? I can't think of any other washing clothes day. That was quite a profound experience and provided a foundation for many of the things I did. It helped me learn quite a few spiritual lessons that I needed to know.

By the way, the second book will be out shortly. I plan to let you guys know about it when I finish it.
Re: My Story [message #2193 is a reply to message #2147] Thu, 07 February 2013 19:39 Go to previous message
FreddyV is currently offline  FreddyV
CtS,

That is a beautiful story. I loved how you spoke about the sacrament. I have had a few experiences with the sacrament that were powerful like that too. I still think I have more to learn about the symbolism in the sacrament. I feel it is one of the most beautiful ordinances we do. I have to admit though, I often feel like kneeling, though I think people would really look at me funny if I did so.

My calling and election experience was also not unlike yours, I felt and heard the voice of the Lord, but it took a while for me to really accept it. He then spoke to me with such power that I could not deny it. It has taken me longer to fully understand what blessings are given to those who receive this promise. I'm still in the process of learning about all of those blessings.

The work of the Lord is going forth, the gathering of Zion has begun. He will endow those who receive Him with power in the priesthood. We will be able to view His works without beginning or end. Angels are sent to accompany us in this work, we will work side by side with them. We will be sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of our bodies. This work is truly glorious! I'm so glad that you are a part of it. Welcome!

Previous Topic: When did Joseph Smith receive his C&E?
Next Topic: 4/14/2012 Asking and Receiving
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:54:47 MDT 2024