Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Angels, Demons, Miracles and the like... » Demons » Casting Out Demons (from Autobiography of George Whitaker)
Casting Out Demons [message #1997] Wed, 16 January 2013 13:47 Go to next message
rdwhitaker is currently offline  rdwhitaker
The following account is from my ancestor, George Whitaker. This occurred a few months after he joined the church in England and right after he was ordained an Elder.

"The gifts of the spirit were given unto us. We had the gift of healing the sick, the gift of prophecy, the gift of tongues, and many other blessings. We were a blessed and happy people, but notwithstanding, our happiness and blessings we received, the enemy was on our track and wanted to make inroads among us. We were young in the church and had but little experience, and did not understand when and how the enemy would attack us.

"I will relate a circumstance that happened at one of our meetings. We had gathered together at our meeting house to have a tea party (which was quite common in those days among the Saints), about forty or fifty in number. We had finished our eating and drinking, and were feeling very good, and had commenced our Prayer Meeting, when all of a sudden one of our sisters was taken in a fit, and fell on the floor. This was about five o'clock in the afternoon, and she was speaking in tongues at the time. We did not feel alarmed at the time, but thought she would come around in a little while. We administered to her and she seemed some better.

"There was a wild look in her eyes which did not seem natural to us. We administered to her again. We called upon the Lord in the name of Jesus Christ that if there was any evil spirit there to make it known unto us, which was done very soon. We found she was under the power of evil spirits, which soon made themselves manifest to us. When we commanded the spirits in the name of Jesus, her whole body would shake and tremble, and then she would swoon away and become still for a while.

"When she came to herself, she told us what she had seen while in that stupor. She saw the devil, her father, and the minister of the church she once belonged to. She also saw a fire. The devil told her if she did not leave the Mormon Church he would put her into the fire and many other things. Her father and the minister said what they would do if she did not leave the Mormon Church (her father had been much opposed to her joining the church). The devil told her he would be there again in three hours, and she was to make up her mind by that time.

"At the time appointed, he came. We administered to her again and rebuked him in the name of Jesus, and told him to leave. He told us he would not. He answered us many questions, told us his name, and seemed to be quite familiar. We had found out by this time what we had to contend with. We told him, and also made a covenant with one another, that we should not leave her till he was gone. He said he should not leave, -- that he had a right there. We told him we did not think he had, and that we should stand by her until he left. She would then go into a stupor and become quiet, for a while.

"In those spells it would take two or three to hold her. When she came out of her stupor she told us that he had told her he would come again at a certain time. By this time we began to get familiar with it, and prepared ourselves for the battle.

"In this way we labored all that night, rebuking and commanding in the name of Jesus. We did not relax in our faith; we could not leave her in that state as we did not know the consequences, and therefore, we were determined to hold on to our faith. As I said, we labored all that night.

"She was lying on a bed in an upper room. She was weak and worked out, and not able to struggle as she had done. A sister and myself were in the room with her, and although she was quiet I knew that the evil spirit was still there. My brethren and sisters were in the room below consulting among themselves what was to be done. We could not leave her and we said we would not. We understood the power we had been contending with, and we believed that God would give us power to overcome it. We were all more or less tired out.

"The evil spirit had kept her mouth closed; he would speak in her throat. We could not understand distinctly, yet we understood many things. As I said, I was alone with another sister, I told her to get something to open the mouth of the sister who was afflicted, as I felt like administering to her. She brought me a spoon which we got into the sister's mouth and held it there. I then asked the Father in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, to give us power to rebuke the evil spirit, which He did, and I commanded it in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, to come out of her. It obeyed but not without a great struggle.

"It was not over five minutes before I was called to go down to the other room, as the evil spirit had entered into one of the sisters. We laid our hands on her and commanded it in the name of Jesus to come out of her, which it did, but went into another sister. We laid our hands on her and commanded it in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ to come out of her and leave the house, which command it obeyed without any other resistance.

"We then separated, each one going to their homes, giving thanks to our Heavenly Father for the great mercies and blessings He had bestowed upon us in giving us power to command evil spirits and they obey us."

Ryan

Don't . . . Quit . . . Trying!!
Re: Casting Out Demons [message #2006 is a reply to message #1997] Wed, 16 January 2013 18:58 Go to previous message
JulesGP

Wow! Thank you for sharing this! What an amazing story!

~Jules
Previous Topic: Vampires
Next Topic: Demon or insanity?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:59:27 MDT 2024