Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Calling and Election Made Sure » How You Received Your Calling and Election Made Sure » Multiple Experiences as given by President Romney (Taken from "The Light of Christ" by President Romney)
Multiple Experiences as given by President Romney [message #43] Mon, 14 June 2010 16:20 Go to next message
Amonhi is currently offline  Amonhi
The following are a number of examples of people at the very moment they received their calling and election made sure. These examples were given in 1977 by President Marion G. Romney of the First Presidency of the church in the April general conference.

His intent was to show examples of how the blessing is received so that the membership of the church would know how it happens.

All of his examples were specifically chosen to NOT include ordinances performed in the temple by apostles or prophets as most members will not receive the blessing in that way.

The examples he gives are as follows:

Enos, (Lehi's grandson) - (Enos 1:5.) Received the promise from the "Voice of the God" while praying in the forest told him, "thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed."

Alma (Mosiah 26:13-20) - Received the promise from the "Voice of the Lord" while praying alone which said, "Thou art my servant; and I covenant with thee that thou shalt have eternal life;"

9 of the 12 Nephite disciples (3Ne. 28:1-3) Speaking with Christ individually "one by one", Christ told all but 3, "ye shall come unto me in my kingdom; and with me ye shall find rest."

Moroni (Ether 12:36-37) Alone, praying to the Lord, the Lord said to him, "thou hast been faithful; wherefore, thy garments shall be made clean. And because thou hast seen thy weakness thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father."

Paul (2 Tim. 4:6-8) Although he doesn't provide the instance, he shows that Paul openly shared that he had received his promise saying, "Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day." (2 Tim. 4:68.)

Heber C. Kimball (Orson F. Whitney, Life of Heber C. Kimball, Bookcraft, 1975, p. 241) While alone, the words came to his mind through the spirit which said, "thy name is written in heaven, no more to be blotted out for ever."

The Prophet Joseph Smith (D&C 132:49) While receiving personal revelation for himself, (D&C 132:1 - In answer to a question), the Lord said, "For I am the Lord thy God, and will be with thee even unto the bend of the world, and through all eternity; for verily I seal upon you your exaltation, and prepare a throne for you in the kingdom of my Father, with Abraham your father."

Although there are many, many more examples in scripture and in history, these were the examples he gave to the church membership. He concluded his remarks with the following:

Quote:
That the Lord will bless all of us priesthood bearers that we will so understand these great truths, that in the end we shall, by making our calling and election sure, enjoy the full light of Christ, I humbly pray, in the name of Jesus Christ, our Redeemer. Amen.

Read more of President Romney's comments and encouragements regarding making your calling and election sure:
The Light of Christ - President Romney
Making Our Calling and Election Sure - Romney

[Updated on: Fri, 04 February 2011 19:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Multiple Experiences as given by President Romney [message #999 is a reply to message #43] Sun, 26 August 2012 15:34 Go to previous message
zephyr is currently offline  zephyr
Elder Romney closes his 1965 General Conference address with these words:

Now in conclusion, I give you my own witness. I know that God our Father lives, that we are, as Paul said, his offspring. I know that we dwelt in his presence in pre-earth life and that we shall continue to live beyond the grave. I know that we may return into his presence, if we meet his terms. I know that while we are here in mortality there is a means of communication between him and us. I know it is possible for men to so live that they may hear his voice and know his words and that to receive "the Holy Spirit of promise" while here in mortality is possible. And so, in the words of the Prophet Joseph, "... I ... exhort you to go on and continue to call upon God until (by the more sure word of prophecy) you make your calling and election sure for yourselves,..." (HC 5:389.)
Next Topic: My Very Brief Story
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:21:58 MDT 2024