Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Missionary Experiences » Humility (Being Humble Does Not Mean Shrinking Away from Duty)
Humility [message #1967] Mon, 14 January 2013 15:51
rdwhitaker is currently offline  rdwhitaker
I had many missionary experiences that I always assumed were typical of all missionaries, but as I share them I realize people like to hear about them. I have shared a lot of them on various blogsites, and I forget which ones I have already mentioned here. So I might be repeating myself a little. Sorry if I do repeat!

I was tracting door to door in Barcelona, Spain with my companion. Our area was the central part of the city, including its 'old town.' This area was mostly historical sites, museums, government buildings, and the like. But I felt like we had a duty to still go through and see if there were any residences in the region we could visit. We came to a very large, imposing building that did not have any identifying signs associated with it, so we knocked on the door for thoroughness sake.

A fairly young maid answered the door, dressed exactly as a maid in the movies would be dressed. Black dress, white stockings, white apron, little white hairpiece on top of her head. We asked to speak to 'the man of the house.' Her eyes grew large and she hesitated, then she said "Just a minute, I'll get him." Soon an older man came to the door. We explained who we were and why we were there. He acted very irritated at us. He asked, "Do you know who I am???" (No we didn't.) He said he was Cardinal something or other, and we were wasting our time. My brain told me I should feel intimidated but I also got the thought that here was a child of God who needed to learn the truth just like anyone else. I tried to press on with some explanations, but he just turned around and left. The little maid seemed apologetic without saying anything and shut the door behind him.

So I can say, we presented the Gospel of Jesus Christ to a Cardinal in the Catholic Church! (or at least we tried to.)

Ryan

Don't . . . Quit . . . Trying!!
Previous Topic: As a missionary
Next Topic: Three Day Discussion with Jehovah Witness
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:51:56 MDT 2024