Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Angels, Demons, Miracles and the like... » Testimonies You Have Gained and How You Gained Them » My Testimony of the Book of Mormon
My Testimony of the Book of Mormon [message #1789] Sun, 30 December 2012 14:39 Go to next message
rdwhitaker is currently offline  rdwhitaker
When I was a senior in high school, my rash actions ended up getting me kicked out of my high school just 3 months before graduation. I ended up finishing up at a neighboring school. I did not know many of the kids there, so I ended up spending a lot of my lunch breaks eating a sack lunch in my VW bug and listening to the radio.

I attended a youth conference in which Elder Loren C. Dunn spoke. He challenged us to read the Book of Mormon with a goal of gaining a spiritual witness of it. He said we should pause before turning each page and ask ourselves, "Is what I just read the imagination of a man or is it the Word of God?" then continue reading. He gave us a powerful and solemn testimony that if we did this, we would receive a witness from the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is indeed true!

So during my lunch breaks at the new high school, I sat in my car and read the Book of Mormon, trying out Elder Dunn's challenge. I don't remember how far I was into reading the Book of Mormon, but the witness certainly came to me in a powerful manner.

I sensed a tingling feel rush over me from head to toe, and with it came a certainty that God and Jesus Christ were real, that the Book of Mormon was absolutely inspired by God to righteous prophets who were dedicated to obeying Him, and that Joseph Smith was prepared and called for the purpose of reestablishing truth, power, authority and light to a fallen world, and that his translation of the Book of Mormon was exactly as he described it to have been - given by the inspiration and power of God.

Throughout the rest of my life, I have used that experience as a measuring stick for other spiritual experiences I've had, to see if the later ones fit the mold and pattern of that earlier experience.

Ryan

Don't . . . Quit . . . Trying!!
Re: My Testimony of the Book of Mormon [message #1796 is a reply to message #1789] Sun, 30 December 2012 22:55 Go to previous message
Daryl is currently offline  Daryl
Some people try to discount that type of experience as not of the spirit - the tingling and all. I agree with you. It is the most normal feeling of the Spirit I get. There is no greater comfort to my soul than what you described.
Previous Topic: My First Testimony
Next Topic: How I learned that God Exists
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:46:28 MDT 2024