Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Angels, Demons, Miracles and the like... » Demons » Evils Spirits Experienced During Mission
Evils Spirits Experienced During Mission [message #1653] Wed, 19 December 2012 17:53 Go to next message
rdwhitaker is currently offline  rdwhitaker
My patriarchal blessing says something having the gift of discernment of spirits. I didn't know what to make of this, because I had not discerned very many spirits after receiving my blessing! Over time I started to understand how this gift applied to me.

The following are several encounters I have had with evil spirits.

1) When I was a teen my parents sent me over to get my younger brother from a party at some friend's house. I showed up at the house and didn't see him anywhere. Someone told me he was with a group of kids in a bedroom where they were having a seance. I waited around for a while and finally grew impatient. I cracked the bedroom door open a little and called his name. Immediately there were a bunch of moans and groans from disappointed kids inside the room. When my brother came out I asked him what was going on. He related how they were doing chants around a candle on a mirror, and how they were inviting "the spirits" to come visit them. They were seeing glowing eyes in the dark, dancing snakes, feeling cold wafts of air, and other things during their seance. But as soon as I opened the door, it all vanished at once - poof! That's when I heard the kids reacting to my having spoiled their fun.

2) Another time I was on a date and drove down to park right by a river's edge, hoping to engage in some serious making out. We rolled down both our windows because it was a warm summer's night. The spot we were in was dark, with the water just a few yards in front of the car, and it was kind of a dank, wet area. Almost immediately after stopping the car we both heard a deep man's voice ask, "What are YOU doing here?" It scared us so much we couldn't roll the windows up and clear out of there fast enough. In retrospect, I believe it was the voice of a dark spirit, kind of complaining about my being in his area.

3) On my mission, the impact of this gift of the spirit began to make more sense to me. There were several times when my mission companion and I were going up some very steep, extremely narrow stairs inside an apartment building to visit some investigators, when we both heard an additional set of foot steps right behind us. The first time my companion just about pushed me over trying to get ahead of me. I told him to relax, we were going about the Lord's business and the evil spirits were very interested in how we were doing, but there was nothing they could do to us. We continued to hear their foot steps on those stairs during quite a few visits after that, but nothing more ever came of it.

4) Another time, with a different companion, we had eaten dinner at a member's house and were walking a long distance to catch the last bus back to our apartment. It was night and dark outside. I realized at one point that I was walking alone - my companion had stopped somewhere behind me. I went back about 50 yards to get him, and found him walking in little circles and swatting at the air around his head. He was muttering, "They're all around us! Can you feel them?" I didn't see anything and I asked him what he was talking about. He said, "I don't know! But they're everywhere!" I realized he was having an experience with some more evil spirits, and he was more susceptible to their influence. I told him in a very matter of fact voice, "Elder, are you going to stand here all night -- or can we get back to our apartment?" He seemed to come to his senses and kind of laughed, and said "Oh, yeah. Let's get going!"

5) Also on my mission, we were teaching a wonderful young family with a couple of little kids. After quite a few visits, the father said to us one night. "We sure do appreciate your coming here to see us!" I thanked him for the compliment and started to continue on with the discussion, but the father interrupted me and said, "No, you don't understand. Let me explain." He told us that they had been investigating with a number of various religious groups who were also proselytizing there before we came along. The more they listened to these other people, the more uneasy the father and his family became. It got so they started seeing glowing eyes in the dark corners of rooms at night, felt the presence of spirits, and their children kept waking up at night in terror. But, he said, the first time we visited, all of those things immediately stopped, and all they felt after our visits was peace, warmth and security. I explained to him about the Spirit of God, and how we were commissioned representatives of Christ. He told us that his family never had another experience with any evil spirits after our visits had begun.

6) Finally, near the end of my mission, I got a new companion who had only been out a couple of months. I had about 3 weeks to go before my mission ended. One night before retiring to bed, my companion told me, "Elder, I sure appreciate having you as my companion." I was surprised to hear him say this, and he explained further. "As soon as I put in my mission papers, I started to get bothered by evil spirits. The closer I got to leaving to the LTM the more they started attacking me. They would pull me out of my bed at night and throw me into the wall." He described other ways that he was attacked by evil spirits and how they threatened to do bad things to him and to his family if he chose to go on his mission. These problems continued to vex him the whole time he was in the LTM, despite having received a lot of blessings during his stay there. When he got out to the mission field, the problems continued just as strongly as before. His trainer companion was pretty freaked out by it and didn't want him around him any longer. My companion was very worried about how his next companion might react if and when these things continued to happen to him. When he arrived to start serving with me, he was very apprehensive about what was coming, especially at night. He was pleased that nothing happened to him the first night, nor the second night, and so on for the next three weeks. That's when we had our little talk about his history. He said those three weeks were the most peaceful he had enjoyed for more than six months, and that was why he appreciated being there with me. I visited with him many years later at a mission reunion, and he confirmed that his experiences with evil spirits had actually happened, and the peaceful effect of his being my companion had on him. I didn't ask him if he had any more problems with evil spirits after I left. I wish I had thought of it.

Don't . . . Quit . . . Trying!!

[Updated on: Wed, 19 December 2012 17:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Evils Spirits Experienced During Mission [message #1736 is a reply to message #1653] Wed, 26 December 2012 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
It seems to me there is more to your story than the discernment of evil spirits. You appear to cast them out by your presence, or negate their influence by your calm logic in the face of unearthly happenings. Thank you for sharing!

- Dragon
Re: Evils Spirits Experienced During Mission [message #1794 is a reply to message #1736] Sun, 30 December 2012 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daryl is currently offline  Daryl
RD, thank you for sharing your experiences. How blessed you are.
If you ever make it to Mesa, we would love you to visit our home.
Re: Evils Spirits Experienced During Mission [message #1799 is a reply to message #1794] Mon, 31 December 2012 09:13 Go to previous message
rdwhitaker is currently offline  rdwhitaker
Thank you Daryl! My father in law lives in Mesa, so there is a chance we could make it down there some time. No plans yet, though. I cannot go anywhere until I am through the ordeal of the current trial of my faith, which has been ongoing now for over a year. I hope to go down there with my wife when it is over.

Ryan

Don't . . . Quit . . . Trying!!
Previous Topic: Possession
Next Topic: Vampires
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 21:56:36 MDT 2024