Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Angels, Demons, Miracles and the like... » Communing with Loved Ones Beyond the Grave » Daughter Returns to Comfort Mother (Spirit of Daughter Helps Mother Through Her Grief)
Daughter Returns to Comfort Mother [message #1648] Wed, 19 December 2012 16:31 Go to next message
rdwhitaker is currently offline  rdwhitaker
A family in our ward that I knew well when I was growing up seemed to have children that matched the ages of just about all the children in our family. Their oldest daughter was 16 years old at the time of her death. The ward young men and women had a winter sledding activity on a hill just a few blocks from my house. The kids had built up a quite large jump in the middle of the sled run. Depending on where you started out, you could aim to take the jump on your sled or you could aim to go to the side of it. The 16 year old had just gone down the hill and was coasting to a stop at the bottom. Another youth started down right after she did. He took the jump with his sled. He lost control of his sled during the jump and his sled shot down the hill by itself. It streaked straight for the girl who had just stopped at the bottom and the metal runners of the sled hit her in the head, killing her instantly.

The girl's mother was completely distraught about losing her oldest daughter, and there was nothing that seemed to be able to comfort her. She shut down, couldn't function as a mother to her other children or as a wife to her husband. This went on for weeks, as people tried to console her without success. The mother later told us what occurred to her. One night she was trying to go to sleep when she became aware of someone sitting at the foot her bed. She opened her eyes and saw the spirit of her deceased daughter there. They had a conversation that lasted hours. Her daughter explained that she did not suffer when she died, and she told her mother things she was doing in the spirit world. The daughter came and visited with her mother like this periodically over the next two years, giving her comfort and strength to carry on in life.

rdw

Don't . . . Quit . . . Trying!!
Re: Daughter Returns to Comfort Mother [message #1662 is a reply to message #1648] Thu, 20 December 2012 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustMe is currently offline  JustMe
That is an awesome story. I have a question, though. Why do you think some people are allowed to have this kind of a comforting visit (or many, as in this case) and others never do? Anyone with any thoughts?

~JustMe
Re: Daughter Returns to Comfort Mother [message #1672 is a reply to message #1662] Thu, 20 December 2012 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iWitness
I think...and this is totally just a theory...that you have to have an open level of consciousness. If your mind is closed to the possibilities, or experiencing rage, disgust, and other negative emotions, I think it makes it near impossible to be visited by beings of light. There has to be a higher frequency energy that makes it possible. I think that's why nightly visitations seem to be more prevelent. Our consciousness can easily be opened, or tapped in to, in that transition from wakefulness to restfulness. I say this from personal experience and knowing others who have had heavenly visitations. There is so much out there that we simply cannot fathom or wrap our minds around even a little. I think that's why Moses could only see so much. Seeing more literally would have been too much and probably would have killed him right there on the spot. There are sooooooooo many many thinks we can think! But none of them come even a HAIR close to God's thinks!(Dr.Seuss, don't you know?) God's thinks fill the immensity of space. How can we comprehend that when our thinks SOMETIMES cannot even fill a room?!

-iWitness

[Updated on: Thu, 20 December 2012 12:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Daughter Returns to Comfort Mother [message #1673 is a reply to message #1662] Thu, 20 December 2012 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There can be so many reasons. Some people seem to be wired for such experiences more than others. My wife's family shares this trait.

When my wife was a teen, she didn't always go where she said was going to on her dates. Often, after sneaking off somewhere she shouldn't be, and coming home thinking she got away with it, her mother would greet her upon her return and ask her, "Why did you go to the rock concert when you said you were only going to your friend's house?" My wife couldn't believe she had been caught. She asked her mother how she knew that?? Her mother told her, "Your great grandmother came and told me what you were doing." So she had the spirits of her ancestors watching over her and turning her in to her mother when she was naughty!

My wife's brother had the gift of seeing his and other people's guardian angels. He didn't like that ability because he felt it placed too much responsibility on him. He became inactive in the church and regularly smoked because that would close his ability to see the spirits. He passed away from a heart attack when he was only 54 years old. His family felt sorry that he had never been to the temple and was not living up to his potential when he died. Years later, my mother in law's younger sister died. Some time after that, her sister came and visited with my mother in law. Among the things they spoke about, her sister told her not to worry about her oldest son. He was progressing very well in the spirit world and was learning all the things of righteousness he failed to learn while on earth. She told his mother that he was going to go far in his progress and she would be very proud of him.

My mother in law was a temple worker in the Provo Temple. One time she was the follower on a session. After the patrons had all come in, she was surprised to see her younger sister, who had passed away a year earlier, enter the room from the door and was directing a bunch of other sister spirits where to go in preparation for the session. Her sister looked at her and gave her happy smile. This confirmed to my mother in law that there is temple work in the spirit world that is associated with our temple work here.

My mother in law once attended General Conference in the Tabernacle Building and had a seat not very far from the front. During the meeting, she suddenly started smiling and gave a quick, little wave towards the front of the building. She later described that there were some empty seats off to the side of the choir, and she saw a man sitting there who was not singing. She was startled when she realized it was the Savior. He knew the moment she recognized Him, and He turned and smiled at her. This is when she excitedly waved. No one else sitting with her could see Him there.

My wife's niece seems especially tuned to viewing visiting spirits. When she was a very young child, around 3 or 4 years old, her parents took her to see the temple. They couldn't take her inside, but they enjoyed visiting the grounds. As they were leaving, the little girl waved towards towards the temple and said, "Goodbye, animals!" Her mother told her they hadn't seen any animals during their visit. The girl told her mother there were animals inside the temple, that they lived in a beautiful garden, and they were happy. Her mother realized her little girl was describing the temple film, which she had never seen, but somehow knew about.

This girl's family had lived in Orem for this girl's entire life, and that culture was all the girl knew. Then they moved to South Carolina, where she was the only LDS youth in her school. She was teased and isolated because she was different - in accent, in culture, and in religion. She was very miserable and depressed. One day when she was about 13 years old, her family was a in church meeting - I can't remember if it was a Stake Conference or maybe even a temple dedication. This girl was feeling very down about life when she felt something warm and soft on her feet. She looked down and there she saw her two dogs that shared their lives with her but had long since died, snuggled closely around her feet and ankles. Their spirits had come to comfort and console her!

rdw

[Updated on: Thu, 20 December 2012 12:27]

Re: Daughter Returns to Comfort Mother [message #1674 is a reply to message #1673] Thu, 20 December 2012 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My wife asked her mother if would she please come and visit her in the temple after she passed away, and let her know where to find information on their ancestor whose genealogy was at a dead end?

Since my mother in law's death, my wife has been anxiously waiting and looking for her mother's visit. To her dismay, her sister's have reported feeling their mother had visited with them at various times, but my wife has not yet had any such experience. I think the ability to sense spirits has to do with our being able enjoy some very quiet time, where our minds are cleared of worldly concerns, plans, thoughts, etc. My wife has a hard time quieting her mind. This may be why she has not been able sense her mother's presence. I believe her mother has come to visit my wife, but she couldn't sense her presence.

One time, at the end of temple session, my wife was in the dressing room when suddenly a crazy thought jumped into her mind. She clearly heard the words in her mind say: "Waddle, waddle, hitch and twitch!" This surprised her so much she asked other sisters there if she knew what those words meant. No one had a clue. Later, my wife remembered that when she was a child, her mother helped her write her very first talk she gave in Primary. She told a story about a crab who complained to the other crabs about how clumsy and silly they looked when they walked, and then the crab himself walked off with a "waddle, waddle, hitch and twitch." My wife figured that her mother had been trying to communicate with her in the temple, but just couldn't get through to her. This must have been her mother's way of saying "I was here. I tried!"

rdw

[Updated on: Thu, 20 December 2012 12:38]

Re: Daughter Returns to Comfort Mother [message #1819 is a reply to message #1648] Wed, 02 January 2013 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thebruceguy is currently offline  Thebruceguy
I had a friend have a very similar experience.

She had recently had her baby and had put the baby out in the back garden to sleep in the shade. She went out with her husband shortly after to find the baby had passed away. She was distraught. She could not function and cried all the time, blaming herself for not being there.

Her husband, though equally upset, helped organise the funeral. My friend said she couldn't attend as it was beyond her to control her grief.

The night prior to the funeral as she sat in bed crying, her daughter appeared to her; not as a baby, but as a fully grown young woman. She stood at the bottom of my friends bed and looked gently upon her and simply said "Mother" while slowly shaking her head to indicate her mothers tears were wrongly applied.

My friend realised that her daughter was still hers, loved her and wanted her to go on with her life. She attended the funeral and bore a beautiful testimony from that day of the reality of the after life.
Re: Daughter Returns to Comfort Mother [message #1973 is a reply to message #1819] Tue, 15 January 2013 12:29 Go to previous message
Beautiful account, Bruce! Thank you!

I am amazed at how much communication can be transmitted by just a word or two from spirits, or no words at all.

I was deep in worry about a life ordeal I am going through, when early one morning I felt the presence of a spirit very close to me. Not a word was spoken, but I clearly understood it was my granddaughter who was still a few months away from being born. She had come just to let me know she was aware of my struggles and that she loved me. Her visit gave me an immense amount of comfort and hope.

Ryan

Previous Topic: Love from Future Grandchildren
Next Topic: My Children helped convince me they needed to come sooner :)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:17:46 MDT 2024