Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Calling and Election Made Sure » How You Received Your Calling and Election Made Sure » I've always had it...
I've always had it... [message #1547] Sat, 08 December 2012 18:34 Go to next message
marc is currently offline  marc
For as long as I can remember, I have always known that the church is true. I have always known that the Book of Mormon is true. I have always known that Jesus Christ lives. I have never needed to pray about it.

I find it interesting that when I was in the MTC over 20 years ago, praying and pleading with the Lord for that magical experience that I might know that the Book of Mormon was true. It never came. I don't know how much time had passed before I realized that I had known all along. I had felt the Spirit confirm it once before and I knew that I felt the Spirit but I did not know that that was my magical moment.

I have always chosen to be obedient. Despite having been raised in a dysfunctional home, suffering physical and emotional abuse until I left for my mission (why I never rebelled is a miracle). I have to this day never once taken one puff of a cigarette or sipped from any container of alcohol.

Although I have always been obedient and have had my sights on nothing less that exaltation, desiring my calling and election since I was young, I did not realize that I had already been given this gift until I had consciously received it. No wonder all my supplication and lengthy fasts yielded no magical moment. I have had it all along. And even as I type it, I can feel the Spirit confirm it.

And now that I look back on my life, even from my childhood, I see the signs were there all along. I have escaped accidents that should have been fatal, witnessed miracles, have received gifts in my patriarchal blessing, etc.

I don't know if everything that has been promised me was given because of foreknowledge of my desires in life or if my desires in life are the direct result of my patriarchal blessing. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? My patriarchal blessing and the gifts, promises and revelations therein are an uncanny, flawless fit.

My calling and election has always been sure. I know that I will be caught up among the faithful when Christ makes His entrance from heaven to reign on the earth during the millennium.

[Updated on: Sat, 08 December 2012 18:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: I've always had it... [message #1548 is a reply to message #1547] Sat, 08 December 2012 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

OH MY GOSH MARC!!! I am SOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! I am so happy you have had this witness!! I don't even know what to say.... I'm just so happy and so grateful for you my friend, and so grateful to have such wonderful friends like you who are so earnestly seeking the Lord and seeking truth! I wish I could give you a big hug right now! We need to make that temple trip! Thank you so much for sharing your experience, and your understanding with us all! Now I can change my prayers for you to prayers of thanks Smile

~Jules
Re: I've always had it... [message #1549 is a reply to message #1548] Sat, 08 December 2012 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jules, thank you for that wonderful post. I am overwhelmed by your thoughtfulness. Thank you! Smile
Re: I've always had it... [message #1550 is a reply to message #1549] Sun, 09 December 2012 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bishop is currently offline  bishop
Coachmarc, you have just confirmed my belief that one does not have to be ancient and well-read to receive one's C&E. There will be many, many from now on through the Millenium who will grow up with this level of spiritual consciousness.Thank you so much for sharing your story!

Bishop
Re: I've always had it... [message #1556 is a reply to message #1550] Mon, 10 December 2012 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ashleyd is currently offline  Ashleyd
What an amazing blessing it is to be able to see others accepting the Heavenly Gifts with the Faith of a child and with gratitude in their hearts. Coachmarc, I am not surprised by this at all. This seems to fit quite well with what I know of you. I am so happy for you that you have this witness. I believe there are many who have actually qualified for this blessing even before they were born. But that's another subject altogether.
Re: I've always had it... [message #1558 is a reply to message #1556] Mon, 10 December 2012 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you, bishop and Ashleyd. I presume you are also Ashleyb from LDSFF?

I cannot help but feel humbled and overwhelmed looking back through my entire life through this new lens. I am trying to find words to express right now, but words fail. I am left only with feelings of awe, gratitude and praise. And even they seem to fall short.

Re: I've always had it... [message #1559 is a reply to message #1558] Mon, 10 December 2012 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ashleyd is currently offline  Ashleyd
Yes coachmarc, I am one in the same. I love reading these experiences from others. It makes me want to sing the song of redeeming love even more. I love it. I wish we could all sing together. I guess for now the songs and prayers of our hearts will have to do. I hope I will be able to truly meet each one of you someday and share in the joy in person.
Re: I've always had it... [message #1742 is a reply to message #1559] Wed, 26 December 2012 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rdwhitaker is currently offline  rdwhitaker
Coach Marc: Your story reminds me of a missionary companion I had. He was really bothered that he had never received a spiritual witness of the truthfulness of the church. Then one day he appeared visibly happier. He related that it dawned on him that he had always known the church was true - that he had been living within the glow of spiritual testimony for so long he didn't realize that not everyone was living the same way. This new revelation was just what he needed to "know" the church was true; not by a glorious single experience, but by the cumulation of a life-time of experiences.

Ryan

Don't . . . Quit . . . Trying!!
Re: I've always had it... [message #1755 is a reply to message #1547] Fri, 28 December 2012 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TruthSeeker is currently offline  TruthSeeker
coachmarc wrote on Sat, 08 December 2012 18:34

...Although I have always been obedient and have had my sights on nothing less that exaltation, desiring my calling and election since I was young, I did not realize that I had already been given this gift until I had consciously received it.

Thanks Coachmarc for sharing your experience. In your post what do you mean by you "had consciously received the gift of C&E"? Might you be able to expand on this or send me a PM? I always thought that those who receive this blessing of C&E can trace this back to a spiritual experience when this knowledge was made known to them, no? Is there something you can trace your realization of this gift back to?

I like perhaps many other good members of the church have faith that I WILL make it back to Father's presence if I keep striving to live righteously. But I'm assuming this faith is NOT the same thing as receiving the more sure word of prophecy, correct?
The gospel has always felt familiar and tangible to me. I have always had a gift of faith and testimony even before I joined the church. I think these are same gifts you must have also come to earth possessing.

I would be grateful for any thought you or others might have on this. Thanks so much! Smile

Re: I've always had it... [message #1764 is a reply to message #1547] Sat, 29 December 2012 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's akin to receiving the Holy Ghost when we're confirmed members. We are given a gift. Just like a Christmas gift that you unwrap and make a part of your life. If you are given a gift, but leave it unopened collecting dust on a shelf, you haven't yet received it. If you are given a GPS, for example, until you unwrap the gift, open it up, plug it in and begin using it, you truly haven't received it.

"...I say unto you, RECEIVE the Holy Ghost."

The Spirit is not a stray that follows you around until you need it. The Spirit is someone you take with you everywhere you go as your guide. You follow the Spirit.

In this context, I was not aware that I was given the gift of my calling and election until I had acknowledged the gift. Likewise, I couldn't receive it until I knew that it had been placed before me. You cannot receive something that isn't first given to you.

[Updated on: Sat, 29 December 2012 12:07]

Re: I've always had it... [message #1766 is a reply to message #1764] Sat, 29 December 2012 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

coachmarc wrote on Sat, 29 December 2012 12:06
It's akin to receiving the Holy Ghost when we're confirmed members. We are given a gift. Just like a Christmas gift that you unwrap and make a part of your life. If you are given a gift, but leave it unopened collecting dust on a shelf, you haven't yet received it. If you are given a GPS, for example, until you unwrap the gift, open it up, plug it in and begin using it, you truly haven't received it.

The Spirit is not a stray that follows you around until you need it. The Spirit is someone you take with you everywhere you go as your guide. You follow the Spirit.

In this context, I was not aware that I was given the gift of my calling and election until I had acknowledged the gift. Likewise, I couldn't receive it until I knew that it had been placed before me. You cannot receive something that isn't first given to you.

PERFECT explanation Marc!! Smile

~Jules
Re: I've always had it... [message #1772 is a reply to message #1764] Sat, 29 December 2012 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TruthSeeker is currently offline  TruthSeeker

Thanks Coachmarc for expanding on this further. Appreciate it. Smile
Re: I've always had it... [message #1773 is a reply to message #1772] Sat, 29 December 2012 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a quick note to express that this is my own experience. We're all at different places in our journey and understanding according to the light and knowledge we have received. And even then, we tend to mix scripture with our own philosophies, which, in the end is our own perception of what we have received. We may all receive the same thing and view it under different lenses and describe the same thing using different languages and thus sounding like we're describing something completely different. This can lead to confusion. In any case, I always take what I read with a grain of salt. So please don't lean on my words unless the Spirit has whispered to you in wording that makes sense only to you that what I have said is true. This is why I love Nephi so much. He had a gift for teaching with plainness. Anyway, now I'm babbling. Smile
Re: I've always had it... [message #2517 is a reply to message #1547] Sat, 01 June 2013 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While I have always known, I have (yesterday) received the ratifying seal of the Holy Spirit of promise. I am so humbled and grateful. Blessed be the name of Jesus Christ!
Re: I've always had it... [message #2519 is a reply to message #2517] Sat, 01 June 2013 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

coachmarc wrote on Sat, 01 June 2013 10:36
While I have always known, I have (yesterday) received the ratifying seal of the Holy Spirit of promise. I am so humbled and grateful. Blessed be the name of Jesus Christ!

Marc this is so awesome! Very Happy Smile Thank you for sharing this detail!!

~Jules
Re: I've always had it... [message #2525 is a reply to message #2519] Sun, 02 June 2013 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zone
How is the seal of the HsoP different than calling and election? I thought they were the same? Or maybe I just misunderstand this statement. You stated you already have had your Calling and Election.

I actually have a similar experience always knowing the church is true. Ive just always known. I did still receive a strong witness everything was true but I have always still known. I remember the first time I read the book of mormon. I was like, wow this is what I believe in... It all makes sense now. I realized what I always knew to be true and why I knew it to be true which was strong enough for me. Not my calling and election but still.
Re: I've always had it... [message #2542 is a reply to message #1764] Tue, 04 June 2013 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kenh is currently offline  kenh

I truly can relate Marc. It was twenty-five years after I was given the gift of my calling and election made sure before I understood what I had been given. Some people seem to take longer to realize just how blessed they really are. I was blessed with sweet wonderful gifts and blessing throughout those years, but it took a series of events and several promptings of the Holy Spirit (I call them loving whacks with a spiritual two by four over the head) before I went back to God with a pleading heart to understand fully just what had happened to me all those years before. What an epiphany it was! Thank you for sharing.
Re: I've always had it... [message #2554 is a reply to message #1547] Thu, 06 June 2013 01:53 Go to previous message
Thank you kenh.

zone, I am still learning. I have always lived with my eye on the goal. I have experienced many miracles and signs in my life. So when I said I've always known, I have always known, or rather, I have always believed, had faith, conviction, etc because of my desires and my actions based on those desires. But you are correct. Technically, to have one's calling and election is to have the Holy Spirit of Promise, which I finally fully realized after hours of prayer and wrestling with the Spirit before my last post. I guess there's knowing without knowing and then there is knowing. It's so much easier to explain after the fact. The Spirit confirmed to me after hours of prayer and being obedient to what I finally needed to learn and experience for a number of months. Like Nephi, I believed these things and had complete faith that the Lord would answer. And He finally did.

From Bruce R. McConkie:

One of the functions assigned and delegated to the Holy spirit is to seal, and the following expressions are identical in thought content:

To be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise;
To be justified by the Spirit;
To be approved by the Lord; and
To be ratified by the Holy Ghost.

Accordingly, any act which is sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise is one which is justified by the Spirit, one which is approved by the Lord, one which is ratified by the Holy Ghost....

As revealed to Joseph Smith, the Lord's law in this respect is: "All covenants, contracts, bonds, obligations, oaths, vows, performances, connections, associations, or expectations, that are not made and entered into and sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, of him who is anointed, both as well for time and for all eternity, and that too most holy, by revelation and commandment through the medium of mine anointed, whom I have appointed on the earth to hold this power (and I have appointed unto my servant Joseph to hold this power in the last days, and there is never but one on the earth at a time on whom this power and the keys of this priesthood are conferred), are of no efficacy, virtue, or force in and after the resurrection from the dead; for all contracts that are not made unto this end have an end when men are dead." (D. & C. 132:7.)

By way of illustration, this means that baptism, partaking of the sacrament, administering to the sick, marriage, and every covenant that man ever makes with the Lord--plus all other "contracts, bonds, obligations, oaths, vows, performances, associations, or expectations"--must be performed in righteousness by and for people who are worthy to receive whatever blessing is involved, otherwise whatever is done has no binding and sealing effect in eternity.

Since "the Comforter knoweth all things" (D. & C. 42:17), it follows that it is not possible "to lie to the Holy Ghost" and thereby gain an unearned or undeserved blessing, as Ananias and Sapphira found out to their sorrow. (Acts 5:1-11.) And so this provision that all things must be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise, if they are to have "efficacy, virtue, or force in and after the resurrection from the dead" (D. & C. 132:7), is the Lord's system for dealing with absolute impartiality with all men, and for giving all men exactly what they merit, neither adding to nor diminishing from.

When the Holy Spirit of Promise places his ratifying seal upon a baptism, or a marriage, or any covenant, except that of having one's calling and election made sure, the seal is a conditional approval or ratification; it is binding in eternity only in the event of subsequent obedience to the terms and conditions of whatever covenant is involved.

But when the ratifying seal of approval is placed upon someone whose calling and election is thereby made sure--because there are no more conditions to be met by the obedient person--this act of being sealed up unto eternal life is of such transcendent import that of itself it is called being sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise, which means that in this crowning sense, being so sealed is the same as having one's calling and election made sure. Thus, to be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise is to be sealed up unto eternal life; and to be sealed up unto eternal life is to be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise. And of this usage of terms, a usage which is wholly misunderstood unless the whole concept of the sealing power of the Spirit is understood, the scriptures and other prophetic utterances bear repeated witness. (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 3:335-336)

When I was reborn last year or in other words, born of the Spirit, (even though I was baptized about thirty-five years ago at age eight), it was such a tremendous experience. I was finally sanctified and truly felt to sing the song of redeeming love. It was overwhelming. But as we read above, to be justified by the Spirit also is indeed very humbling. I am excited, though humbled by whatever comes next. And I wait patiently.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 June 2013 02:29]

Previous Topic: My C&E and my change of Heart
Next Topic: How to Know if You Have YOUR C&E Made Sure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:40:29 MDT 2024