Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Helping Others » Get Involved in a Good Cause » Prayer and Fasting Campaign (A plea for help to save our nation!)
Prayer and Fasting Campaign [message #1538] Sat, 08 December 2012 00:23 Go to next message
Called to Serve is currently offline  Called to Serve
I've never posted on this forum before. I've come to enjoy the stories from others though. But now I have something important that I want to do and I need help. So I thought I would ask you guys to help.

I would like to start a campaign to fast and pray on December 21st in order to save our nation. I've composed two messages to help get the word out. They'll explain everything about what I am trying to do:

BLOG POST

This past presidential race, I mostly tuned out. I have lost all confidence in the leaders of our country to be able to do anything to fix the problems we're facing. So it didn't really matter to me who won the race. The only news I got were tidbits here and there that I overheard.

One of these tidbits caught my attention. More than once I overheard a mention that Romney had won the first debate. I didn't tune in to it so I couldn't say myself. I thought the comment a little odd, though. I don't usually hear of people talking about a clear winner in the debates. People might talk about how their favored candidate did, but it's unusual to hear an actual winner named. Still, it made no difference to me, so I didn't give it much thought.

And then I ran across a comment on the internet that gave me more insight into the matter. The author mentioned a call for Romney supporters to fast and pray for him before the debate so that he might win it. Reportedly, the request was sent in an email from someone to a few people they knew and it went viral so thousands of people participated in the fast. The author of the comment wasn't a Romney supporter either, but the incident impressed him. He thought it a powerful witness of the power of prayer and fasting. I found that rather interesting.

Tonight I attended a Messiah sing-in, you know, one of those performances where they ask the audience to sing along during parts of it. The music was captivating. As I listened, I was transported to a different place, surrounded by some of the scenery described in the music and conversing with exalted beings. This was all in my mind, of course. I suppose the people around me thought I was nodding off.

The desire for a better world filled my heart. And as I sat there wrapped up in the beautiful music I had an idea. It occurred to me that perhaps the people of this nation would be interested in uniting in prayer and fasting to save our nation. If it worked for Romney, I thought perhaps that our faith combined together might make an actual difference in our lives.

I prayed right then and there to ask God what the nation could pray and fast for collectively. What did Americans universally need and want. The answer came back clearly in one word: RELIEF. Yes, relief. Relief from poverty. Relief from oppression. Relief from contention. Relief from heartache. We all need relief from the individual burdens we bear. Those burdens are getting more and more oppressive all the time.

Romney couldn't have saved us. Obama won't be able to either. Congress can't save us. Our state legislatures won't do it either. Our nation has gotten too far off balance. There is no way we can be saved by any person's works. It will take an act of God.

I know different people define God in different ways. That's okay. The Alcoholics Anonymous program, one of the most successful programs known to help people change their lives, was founded by an atheist. The founder just believed there was some power out there that could change his life. And it did. And that same power has changed millions of lives around the world as people have reached out to it, no matter what source they believed that power to originate from.

And so I'd like to invite you to reach out to that power as well, whether you believe in God or in some other entity. I'd like to ask you to put faith in whatever or whoever you believe in and join with me in praying and fasting on December 21st for our nation.

We need this help.

Now I know that most of you might have figured out why I picked the specific day that I did. For those of you who don't, I'll explain. Many people believe that December 21st of this year will be a day of great destruction for the whole world. I don't personally believe it will. But even for those who do, what better day to pray for help from God than on a day designated for destruction. Let December 21st be a day of union for our nation instead of a day of destruction. It just might save us.

EMAIL

Our nation needs help. Despite the excitement surrounding the presidential races, no one actually expected these men to make the changes necessary. No one actually expects congress to. We've been through this all before, far too many times. The truth is, our nation is beyond human help.

But the situation is not entirely hopeless. There is still Someone who can save us. It is the same Being who aided our founders in creating this nation. We are still a nation under God. And God can still save us.

I know we don't all define God the same. That's okay. Alcoholics Anonymous, perhaps the most successful spiritual program in the world, was founded by an atheist. He just exercised faith in what he did believe in--and it worked. I believe it will work the same for us if we unite together to ask God for help.

So I'm asking you to unite together in prayer and fasting on December 21st to petition God for Relief. Relief from poverty. Relief from fighting. Relief from oppression. Relief from heartache.

I believe if we unite together to ask for help, our nation can be saved. Please also pass this message on to anyone else you believe may wish to participate.
Re: Prayer and Fasting Campaign [message #1546 is a reply to message #1538] Sat, 08 December 2012 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amonhi is currently offline  Amonhi
I'm in... I'll pass this around too!

Thanks, and God's blessing
Re: Prayer and Fasting Campaign [message #1575 is a reply to message #1546] Tue, 11 December 2012 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
I admit, sadly, when I read this post, I had difficulty finding hope of success. The prophecies of the future are unfolding, and rough times are ahead. I ache for more direct actions I can take, but those paths are not the ones God has chosen for me.

- Dragon
Re: Prayer and Fasting Campaign [message #1576 is a reply to message #1575] Tue, 11 December 2012 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Called to Serve is currently offline  Called to Serve
Dragon, I believe you may have misinterpreted my intent, as many have. I do not expect a quick end to our problems. My only hope is for people's hearts and minds to be changed, for them to become more concerned about each other and less concerned about their worldly acquisitions. I hope for the coming of Zion, but could not say that since I am trying to reach a wide audience. However, as people exercise faith in God in this way, He can reach out to them and help them make the changes in themselves that will both bring them relief from their burdens and usher in the coming of Zion.
Re: Prayer and Fasting Campaign [message #1584 is a reply to message #1576] Wed, 12 December 2012 05:09 Go to previous message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Thank you for the clarification. In these things I do have great hope for millions of people out of the billions on earth. The Great and Terrible last days are upon us. This is one area where we can focus on the Great.

- Dragon
Previous Topic: Magnifying Our Calling
Next Topic: Wondering, Suffering, Pleading, Praying, Waiting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:19:02 MDT 2024