Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Calling and Election Made Sure » How You Received Your Calling and Election Made Sure » C&E in Patriarchal Blessing?
C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #1517] Wed, 05 December 2012 20:22 Go to next message
iWitness
I'm kind of hesitant to write this, but here it goes...

I prayed to know if my C&E has been made sure, and after I prayed I thought about a quote from my Patriarchal Blessing:

"I seal you up to come forth on the morning of the first resurrection, clothed with glory, immortality, and eternal life"

My first thought was, "Don't most peoples blessings say that?"
So I was wondering if they do, or if it was my C&E.

I ordered Elliaison's book today...SO EXCITED TO READ IT!

-iWitness
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #1518 is a reply to message #1517] Wed, 05 December 2012 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

I have read many blessings that say something to this effect:

"IF you are true and faithful, you will have the opportunity to rise on the morning of the first resurrection, clothed with glory, immortality, and eternal life."

It sounds like yours could be implying something else. Maybe you should pray about that specific part of it Smile .

~Jules
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #1520 is a reply to message #1518] Thu, 06 December 2012 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
There are no if statements in my personal patriarchal blessing. Some have the if statement, and others do not. However, mine does end with this phrase: 'All of these gifts and blessings and promises are yours upon condition of your faithfulness'. Another has this phrase: 'I seal these blessings upon you through your faithfulness'.

All blessings are conditional upon faithfulness until you receive your C&E, which is a confirmation of your faithfulness. As a side note, by the time I received my patriarchal blessing, I had already received my C&E, but could not remember it, nor did I understand its significance if I did remember.

- Dragon
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #1527 is a reply to message #1517] Fri, 07 December 2012 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amonhi is currently offline  Amonhi
I wanted to add a about 3 pennies worth of thoughts...

First, the very fact that of ALL things that could have come to your mind, this part of your Patriarchal Blessing came to you. Why didn't you think about it before praying? or some other scripture?

Second, You don't really have a blessing until you know you have it. If someone gave me a new car and hung the keys on the porch and I never saw them and didn't know about it, then I didn't receive the car. So the gift was given, but not received and so remains unused and as if the gift was never given. So, If I asked you a month ago if you had your C&E, you would have said, "No" and you would have been right, not because God didn't give it, but because you didn't receive it.

Now, you have just been made aware that the gift was offered. Now you can choose to receive it or not.

Third, Just because a Patriarchal Blessing says a thing, doesn't make it so. Just because the prophet lays his hands on your head and pronounces it, doesn't make it so. It is the witness of the spirit that makes it so. If the spirit told you that it was true when you received it, then it is so. If the spirit told you it was true when you prayed and were reminded of your Patriarchal Blessing, then it is true. If you pray now and the spirit gives its witness that it is true, then it is true. This is called "the Holy Spirit of Promise". It seals to you all blessings.

All you need to do is get a testimony by personal witness from the spirit that you have received the blessing and you have it. That witness will come as a personal revelation and may focused on that specific part of your Patriarchal Blessing, a scripture or scriptures, a voice speaking personal scripture to you or some other way which you recognize as being the promise of exaltation.

BUT, ONLY YOU can know when you have received it. Others can know when it has been offered, but ONLY you can know when you recognize and accept the offering. If you have any doubts or questions, go to God, (Your Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother), until they are resolved and they will answer you in a way you will recognize and receive.

Welcome to the club, I look forward to hearing your additional thoughts to all our thoughts and comments and about the rest of this story.

Amonhi
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #1530 is a reply to message #1527] Fri, 07 December 2012 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

Amonhi wrote on Fri, 07 December 2012 13:14

Third, Just because a Patriarchal Blessing says a thing, doesn't make it so. Just because the prophet lays his hands on your head and pronounces it, doesn't make it so. It is the witness of the spirit that makes it so. If the spirit told you that it was true when you received it, then it is so. If the spirit told you it was true when you prayed and were reminded of your Patriarchal Blessing, then it is true. If you pray now and the spirit gives its witness that it is true, then it is true. This is called "the Holy Spirit of Promise". It seals to you all blessings.

I love this part of what you said Amonhi!! This is so true.

I hope what I said wasn't misleading, Amonhi sure said this much better than my short line that could have been taken wrong. Embarrassed Smile

~Jules
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #1552 is a reply to message #1530] Sun, 09 December 2012 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bishop is currently offline  bishop
Very interesting iWitness. I wholeheartedly concur with Amonhi's summation of your situation. This wondering and sometimes hesitancy to accept that we have received our CE is very common, as witnessed by so many stories on this site. In addition to what Amonhi stated, I want you to know that it is common for patriarchs, bishops, and priesthood holders in general, to give us blessings with pure intelligence through the Spirit which we may or may not recognize at the time. One of my favorite stories which my son and his wife shared with me long ago is when they attended a temple wedding, and the sealer told the newlyweds, in the name of the Lord, that they were sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise. Very few people in the room, including the bride and groom, seemed to grasp the weight of that inspired pronouncement. A marvelous promise was made but it was thought to be just what is said in the sealing ordinance-like a promise based on faithfulness. But it was not based on faithfulness, it was based on their current status before the Lord-very much like your patriarchal blessing appears to be.
Thanks for having the courage to share your story. Welcome to a whole new world of perception and thinking! We love you and want you to know that we empathize, because we have experienced many similar emotions and events.

Bishop
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #1554 is a reply to message #1552] Sun, 09 December 2012 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iWitness
Wow, wow, wow. Thank you guys! My life has been changing so drastically the last few months, and this is all still so amazing to me. For the first time in years I've got that special witness from the spirit that I'm EXACTLY where I'm supposed to be. Like the BD on Faith says, that the 3rd principle is that we have an actual knowledge that the course we are pursuing in our life is in accordance with the will of God. I feel it, and there is NO feeling like it in the world. Thank you for all of your heartfelt replies. I am so grateful for each person here on Elliaison, and those yet to join!

-iWitness
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #1571 is a reply to message #1517] Tue, 11 December 2012 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Truth Seeker,
At the time I was unaware of what C&E was, or how to obtain it. The memory of receiving it was hidden from my mind, though I knew something had happened, I could not recall exactly what. I did not approach my PB with the right attitude. I was looking for a solution to problems I was having at that time, rather than a guide for the future. I can see now what I was seeking was a Priesthood Blessing, but I had not yet met someone I trusted enough to provide it. Ah, the follies of youth.

As for the ability, or the promise, or other such phrases, how often do you hear people say in their prayers "that we may" or "that they might"? It is ingrained in our culture, and something I have striven to change within myself. I try to ask God to actually give the gift or blessing I seek, rather than that I MIGHT receive it. Patriarchs are still human. As such, they are not perfect interpreters of the visions they see while giving the blessings. For surely anyone who gives a blessing properly is merely interpreting the tongue of angels into a language we can understand.

- Dragon
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #1582 is a reply to message #1571] Tue, 11 December 2012 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Thank you Dragon for sharing your thoughts. Glancing over my PB again it mentions sealing and promise regarding rising in the Morning of the First Resurrection and being able to be joined with the Savior. It would be neat if this was a promise of Calling and Election. However I agree with you that blessings pronounced upon us are given to us according to our faithfulness.
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #1583 is a reply to message #1571] Wed, 12 December 2012 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TruthSeeker is currently offline  TruthSeeker
Dragon wrote on Tue, 11 December 2012 07:23
Truth Seeker,
At the time I was unaware of what C&E was, or how to obtain it. The memory of receiving it was hidden from my mind, though I knew something had happened, I could not recall exactly what. I did not approach my PB with the right attitude. I was looking for a solution to problems I was having at that time, rather than a guide for the future. I can see now what I was seeking was a Priesthood Blessing, but I had not yet met someone I trusted enough to provide it. Ah, the follies of youth.

As for the ability, or the promise, or other such phrases, how often do you hear people say in their prayers "that we may" or "that they might"? It is ingrained in our culture, and something I have striven to change within myself. I try to ask God to actually give the gift or blessing I seek, rather than that I MIGHT receive it. Patriarchs are still human. As such, they are not perfect interpreters of the visions they see while giving the blessings. For surely anyone who gives a blessing properly is merely interpreting the tongue of angels into a language we can understand.

Thanks Dragon for your feedback. I really appreciate it.Smile
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #1585 is a reply to message #1583] Wed, 12 December 2012 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
It's all about the Spirit. If the Spirit says it is so, it is so. The Holy Ghost cannot lie.
I've heard a few people say that they don't neccesarily believe in patriarchal blessings down to the last promise because they never saw what was promised come to pass in a deceased persons life. Did that deceased person live up to every covenant, every promise, every privelege? It's funny how people view the "true and faithful" part of blessings. Some people disregard it completely. It's ALL about our faithfullness. If you're not doing what you've been asked, don't be so confused that things didn't happen like prophesied in your blessing. The Spirit will witness different things to you at different times in your life. That's why you hear people all the time saying that they "didn't see that" in their blessing before. Because the Spirit brings new truths to our minds that it didn't comprehend before.
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #1638 is a reply to message #1585] Tue, 18 December 2012 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daryl is currently offline  Daryl
My patriarch said something in my blessing that he did not include in the written version. He told me I would be exalted. No ifs or other caveats. Just straight forward - you will be exalted. He also referred to me as a chosen son from whom much was expected - that part was included. Since the end of the blessing had the final discalimer of living righteously, I never really accepted it as truth. Until now...

Now I fully accept my patriarchal blessing as truth. My life has become almost like a daily patriarchal blessing with revelation flowing as I have accepted the spirit of the Lord as part of my soul. I can testify that is true. Just like receiving the Holy Ghost is true, so is receiving the Lord's spirit. Amonhi's example of the gift is right on! We have to realize these gifts, or else they have little to no power for us.

Thank you for sharing your testimony and experiences.
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #2048 is a reply to message #1517] Mon, 21 January 2013 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zephyr is currently offline  zephyr
iWitness wrote on Wed, 05 December 2012 22:22
I'm kind of hesitant to write this, but here it goes...

I prayed to know if my C&E has been made sure, and after I prayed I thought about a quote from my Patriarchal Blessing:

"I seal you up to come forth on the morning of the first resurrection, clothed with glory, immortality, and eternal life"

My first thought was, "Don't most peoples blessings say that?"
So I was wondering if they do, or if it was my C&E.

I ordered Elliaison's book today...SO EXCITED TO READ IT!

-iWitness

After reading this thread it seems as though you have already resolved this one, however, I feel impressed to add something, perhaps it is for someone else who will yet read this.

Last May I received my C&E. It was a powerful experience, and I felt filled with a glowing power way beyond anything I have ever experienced. This lasted six days.

In my enthusiasm, which I couldn't contain, I posted my experience here. It was up for a little while, and then I began to feel that something wasn't right, so I asked Jules to remove it.

One morning in August, I was sitting at my computer (I work at home) and a revelation burst upon my mind. This revelation filled me with joy which brought tears to my eyes (if you knew me you would write this in your journal), I jumped out of my seat and ran down the stairs to tell my wife. I was literally jumping I was so filled with joy.

The revelation explained to me much of what has happened to me since joining the church. Mostly, it stated when my C&E was actually made sure, and that was in my Patriarchal Blessing, which I received when I was about 18.

Here is most of the last paragraph of my PB:

"These blessings I seal upon you through your faithfulness in keeping the covenants that you have made and will make with your Heavenly Father and I seal you up to come forth in the morning of the First Resurrection to immortality and eternal life that you may dwell in the Kingdom of your Heavenly Father with your loved ones eternally and this I do by the power of the Priesthood..."

The first church book I purchased was Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, so it didn't take me long to figure out what this was saying. However, I wouldn't allow myself to believe it. I even discussed it with priesthood leaders. My bishop told me I needed to accept it, but I couldn't.

Years later, I debated this with a stake patriarch in my ward.

Me: patriarchs do not have the authority to seal someone up to eternal life.
Patriarch: no, they don't, but the the Lord does and the patriarch speaks for the Lord.

I couldn't resist this logic, but I still didn't accept it.

A few years ago, my brother told me about Denver Snuffer's book The Second Comforter. This helped to open my mind. The next thing that happened was that Amonhi came to LDSFF. He posted several things, I was filled with the Spirit on one of them. I mean really filled. This was a powerful experience. I also did more reading, at elliaison.org, and I read the book The Fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. These things filled me with the Spirit again.

For the most part, I agree with Amonhi's post above, however, some of the blessings of C&E still seeped through, and as a result, I had decades of being alone in some ways (see the post about letdowns of C&E). My ability to learn from the scriptures exceeded everyone I met, including all the missionaries I met on my mission, and I could see when people were filled with the Spirit.

If I would have accepted it when I first understood it, I would have had many years of glorious experiences, and by now I perhaps I would have received the next blessing: Second Comforter.

In summary:

"What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same."
(Doctrine and Covenants 1:38)

[Updated on: Mon, 21 January 2013 10:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #2050 is a reply to message #2048] Mon, 21 January 2013 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

Zephyr, thank I so much for sharing this! It is good to read about your experience again Smile . I have learned that we are offered and made aware of these blessing in many different ways - each of our experiences are different, through some can be similar. The spirit of confirmation is what seals it. i Witness, you should pray to see if the Lord gives you that confirmation!

~Jules
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #2164 is a reply to message #1517] Sat, 02 February 2013 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc
The very last sentence in mine reads, "I seal you up to Eternal life which is the greatest gift of God, according to your obedience and desire, in the name of..."
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #2225 is a reply to message #1517] Thu, 21 February 2013 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John is currently offline  John
An interesting thing about that is that it very well can be your sealing up unto eternal life. Meaning that the avenues by which you will obtain is assured and you are good to go after you die. Only you can search it out and seek an answer. I would suggest starting first with receiving your 1st comforter experience if you have not yet done so. I hope this helps:

The power to seal someone unto eternal life was brought to us by Peter, James and John as they brought back the melchezidek priesthood . When moved upon by the spirit, Joseph would seal people/groups/congregations (not couples as a family unit thats what Elijah came to restore) up to eternal life and in many patriarchal blessings the high preist in the office of patriarch was permitted to give such blessings upon spiritual inclination to do so. The office of a high priest can do so, according to section 68 verses 4, 12 (context is important; He is speaking to high priests). In your case, your patriarch pronounced the words that verify being sealed unto life eternal assuming you come to and obey the first principles of the gospel. Receiving the 1st comforter experience will allow you to see the kingdom and by retaining that remission of sins and enduring to the end and say you do not see the Savior, you are still promised eternal glory at some point. His conditions are set and will be met. But seeking Him is ultimate..I am not saying the 2nd comforter is not essential, what I am saying is that for those who have been sealed up unto Eternal Life, they will not need the visitation per-say. The knowledge they will have will be comfort and only those who are sealed up unto eternal life will meet with this comfort at some point and be content, like the 9 nephites were content..it is not evil it is just a different calling or position in progression they find rest in. They will feel the approval of their maker we as a whole cannot judge them for they are His.

There are similar wordings of being blessed with eternal life based "upon our faithfulness". in our patriarchal blessings, but to those who are "sealed up" unto that, they are good to go. But it must have been done by the spirit under the direction of the Savior, because He is the only one to seal you His but either by His servant or Himself it is all the same. I cannot emphasize enough that it must be done with His approval and Spirit and not by the words a patriarch is use to using in his blessings. One can know if they are truly sealed up upon further seeking, knocking and asking. These are guidelines to help you on your journey. Hope I could be of some assistance.

These are some insights I feel I have been led to by many incidents, studies, manifestations, etc.
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #2231 is a reply to message #1517] Fri, 22 February 2013 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iWitness
I received my C&E through my Patriarchal Blessing. Since receiving it, I've been able to fill in a thousand blanks in my life. Everything has opened up to me in new ways. Now I feel that I need further instruction. That is where I'm at right now. This organization on Elliaison is such a blessing. Everyone is drawn here for a great purpose. That purpose I feel is going to become more and more apparent in the near future.

-iWitness
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #2264 is a reply to message #2231] Tue, 05 March 2013 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TruthSeeker is currently offline  TruthSeeker
iWitness wrote on Fri, 22 February 2013 23:15
I received my C&E through my Patriarchal Blessing. Since receiving it, I've been able to fill in a thousand blanks in my life. Everything has opened up to me in new ways. Now I feel that I need further instruction. That is where I'm at right now. This organization on Elliaison is such a blessing. Everyone is drawn here for a great purpose. That purpose I feel is going to become more and more apparent in the near future.

-iWitness

People are drawn here becaue the Lord is gathrring His Elect. I feel impressed that in Pre-Earth life many of us were given the promise that we would receive our C&E. The Lord seems to lead those people to the right sources where the Spirit will prompt them to seek confirmation of these blessings of C&E for themselves.
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #2330 is a reply to message #1517] Tue, 19 March 2013 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kiri is currently offline  Kiri
Hi I'm new to this forum. I know that I was guided here by the spirit. I too have my C&E in my patriarchal blessing which I didn't realise until I read this thread and then I had a very strong impression to read my patriarchal blessing and to receive my own witness that it was true. This forum is a great blessing in my life as my husband and I have had many spiritual experiences which we have kept private. It has been very comforting reading a lot of what s on this forum. Thank you.
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #2332 is a reply to message #1517] Tue, 19 March 2013 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed McBain is currently offline  Ed McBain
Hello to all, I have been studying this site for a few weeks now, reading and gaining insight to the types of things that are discussed in here and I just gotta say that I am impressed. I received my C&E directly from the one in Authority to make such pronouncements. It is a wonderful gift to possess and at the same time, it is a heavy load to carry. I believe that even when such pronouncements are made, they are always contingent on our living worthily to maintain that gift.

Keep up the great works in here, lots of people can gain a much greater insight in to the workings of the Spirits.
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #2876 is a reply to message #1517] Mon, 20 January 2014 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
I read a close friends pb and it specifically said "your calling and election is sure" with no other qualifiers. I think a lot of people have the wording that says something to the effect that you are sealed up to come forth in the first resurrection, etc but with qualifiers that it is based on your faithfulness. I don't believe those are c&e made sure but more general blessings for all goods children that are faithful and endure to the end.
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #2913 is a reply to message #1517] Fri, 18 April 2014 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rodney is currently offline  Rodney
I just joined because of this post. As has been mentioned already, I have been seeking and have been lead from on blog to another and have outgrown a couple. So much has happened over the last 4 years, but more specifically the last 2.

Until I read this post, I just didn't realize the meaning of some key things...

My eyes have been opened and I'm grateful for the comments on this particular post (I've only read two so far).

Thank you all and yes... I think there are certain people being... ah,... gathered in Christ also.
Re: C&E in Patriarchal Blessing? [message #3574 is a reply to message #1517] Sun, 28 May 2017 09:55 Go to previous message
blackapache is currently offline  blackapache
Mine says to:

"serve with all my heart might mind and strength in the many callings which will be placed upon you in church, for they are only training as it were for that greater call which will be placed upon you, a call which will enlighten your understanding to the things which are unknown to most people who are on the earth. But through his whisperings and the friendship which grows between you and he it will become a personal thing to walk and talk with him daily"

I truly do love my Saviour.

AS THY DAYS MAY DEMAND SO THY SUCCOR SHALL BE
Previous Topic: Second Step
Next Topic: I didn't know we could just ask
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:54:37 MDT 2024