Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Angels, Demons, Miracles and the like... » Communing with Loved Ones Beyond the Grave » Spirits
Spirits [message #1486] Mon, 26 November 2012 20:40 Go to next message
iWitness
I have a friend who is single with two kids age 6 and 12.
She's not LDS, and is very spiritual.

She has the gift of seeing spirits, and says she has seen The Christ and many other special people. She says she's been able to see spirits from a very young age. Her son sees them as well and has seen The Christ.

I was just wondering how this is possible. I suppose I thought that a person has to be married to talk to Christ, and have their C&E.

Perhaps I am a very shallow thinker and have more to learn:) but I thought I'd post since it's been on my mind constantly lately.
Re: Spirits [message #1487 is a reply to message #1486] Mon, 26 November 2012 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

iWitness wrote on Mon, 26 November 2012 20:40
I have a friend who is single with two kids age 6 and 12.
She's not LDS, and is very spiritual.

She has the gift of seeing spirits, and says she has seen The Christ and many other special people. She says she's been able to see spirits from a very young age. Her son sees them as well and has seen The Christ.

I was just wondering how this is possible. I suppose I thought that a person has to be married to talk to Christ, and have their C&E.

Perhaps I am a very shallow thinker and have more to learn:) but I thought I'd post since it's been on my mind constantly lately.

There are LOTS of people in the scriptures and church history who have met the Savior and/or have received their C&E - who are not married Smile . These blessings are promised to ALL who qualify - regardless of marital status, sex, race, religion, age, etc.

There are many others out there like your friend too - I can personally attest to that. Smile

~Jules
Re: Spirits [message #1488 is a reply to message #1487] Mon, 26 November 2012 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iWitness
Woooooooooooooow.
I guess the first time I heard about C&E was from my institute teacher 6 years ago who I hold in a higher regard than most. My husband and I debated one time whether or not he was a Saint staying on the earth to teach others of Christ. He's that amazing...kind of like you guys here on Elliaison!
So the teacher told us that if we(male and female) got our C&E that our spouse would get it shortly after we did, if not at the same time, close to it. I guess I took that as it was only possible for married couples to receive it together. Crazy. This opens up so many new thoughts, ideas, questions for me!
This may be a silly question, set me strait if I'm wrong, but a Calling and Election is a Promise of exaltation, right? So only married couples sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise can receive exaltation, right? Whether they are married in this world or the next. So That leads me to my question, Angels. Angels are not married, so I've been told. So those who are angels do not recieve exaltation?
I'm sure I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaay off. But I'm here to learn! So that's what I'm doing!
Thank you for clearing this up for me, Jules!
Re: Spirits [message #1490 is a reply to message #1488] Mon, 26 November 2012 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

iWitness wrote on Mon, 26 November 2012 21:25
Woooooooooooooow.
I guess the first time I heard about C&E was from my institute teacher 6 years ago who I hold in a higher regard than most. My husband and I debated one time whether or not he was a Saint staying on the earth to teach others of Christ. He's that amazing...kind of like you guys here on Elliaison!
So the teacher told us that if we(male and female) got our C&E that our spouse would get it shortly after we did, if not at the same time, close to it. I guess I took that as it was only possible for married couples to receive it together. Crazy. This opens up so many new thoughts, ideas, questions for me!
This may be a silly question, set me strait if I'm wrong, but a Calling and Election is a Promise of exaltation, right? So only married couples sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise can receive exaltation, right? Whether they are married in this world or the next. So That leads me to my question, Angels. Angels are not married, so I've been told. So those who are angels do not recieve exaltation?
I'm sure I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaay off. But I'm here to learn! So that's what I'm doing!
Thank you for clearing this up for me, Jules!

Have you read the book HERE that the Elliaisons put out? It provides a great introduction and foundation to these questions you are asking.

I apologize for the lack of sources at this point, but want to provide a few quick answers (and none of these are silly questions!!!):

-- Yes, your Calling and Election is synonymous with receiving the promises of Eternal life and Exaltation.

-- Our exaltation is entirely INDIVIDUAL. There are many who have received their C&E whose spouses have absolutely no interest in the gospel at all. There are individuals who have met the Savior whose spouses are corrupt. It is an individual blessing and YES, single people can receive the promise of eternal life and exaltation.

-- The greatest eternal blessings available do require a partner in order to take part in those. But those are over and above receiving eternal life and exaltation. So if we have that promise, and our spouse obtains it too, and that marriage is sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise, and that couple is sealed up unto godhood, etc... then the blessings are even greater. But Eternal life and Exaltation - or receiving one's C&E is still completely individual and must be obtained individually - regardless of our spouses standing before the Lord.

-- If a married couple has their marriage sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise and they know that, then that implies that they have individually received their C&E. But they should still should pray individually for confirmation of that promise.

-- Angels can be married, single, resurrected, not resurrected, etc. An angel is a messenger from God. I don't have a reference handy right now, but Joseph Smith talked about some ways you can discern (if you do not have the gift of discerning spirits) if a "spirit" is an angel of the Lord or a deceiver from Satan. But an angel has a message. How they "appear" or communicate that message may be manifest in a myriad of ways. I'm pretty certain that the Angel Moroni was not a single man;

Quote:
"In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children". - Title of Liberty

...but he appeared with a message to Joseph Smith as angels/messengers of God do. I wonder though, if what you might be thinking of is this from D&C:

Quote:
16 Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory.

17 For these angels did not abide my law; therefore, they cannot be enlarged, but remain separately and singly, without exaltation, in their saved condition, to all eternity; and from henceforth are not gods, but are angels of God forever and ever.

I underlined a portion of it, but really it should be read in context with the rest of the chapter - and studied further even from there. I will let Amonhi or Seeker or someone else from the forum who is a much better teacher than I am delve into teaching more about this. Rolling Eyes Smile

But I will say this: I am a single woman, and I have been extended the promises of Eternal life and Exaltation. I have also had confirmation by the spirit by vision and multiple spiritual witnesses that I WILL at some time be married to a righteous man. So I offer my testimony that I KNOW the blessings of receiving one's C&E are available even to those who are not married, and to those whose spouses are not ready to receive them, and to many others as well.

~Jules
Re: Spirits [message #1492 is a reply to message #1490] Tue, 27 November 2012 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Jules,
Wonderful reply. The only thing I can add is that I received my C&E while still a youth, as did Mormon and Moroni and Nephi and Jacob, and....

- Dragon
Re: Spirits [message #1623 is a reply to message #1492] Mon, 17 December 2012 20:12 Go to previous message
Called to Serve is currently offline  Called to Serve
I believe, from personal experience and might be wrong, that it is necessary to give yourself completely to the another individual in order to obtain the blessing of Calling and Election made Sure. This does not mean marriage, only that you give up everything to help another individual (or perhaps individuals). Of course, for a married couple, it is usually the spouse, but it's not required.

My reasoning for this is that, though we dedicate our lives to Christ, before we have ever seen Him, our knowledge is not sure. And so we treat another as we would treat Him, giving them our entire life as we seek to help them obtain salvation (or whatever task the Lord requires) and through that experience gain perfect charity, qualifying us to actually see and know Christ Himself.

That is what I have been thinking lately. I have no idea if it is accurate. It's just something I have seen in my life and wonder if it is the norm. I would have to think about the different characters in the scriptures, though, to see if it was true across the board.
Previous Topic: She returned with a message
Next Topic: Meeting My Son Before His Birth
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:53:13 MDT 2024