Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Angels, Demons, Miracles and the like... » Demons » Possession (Demons)
Possession [message #1453] Fri, 16 November 2012 10:40 Go to next message
iWitness
Has anyone ever had a spirit possess them? Or known somebody who has? What were some things that happened? I'm looking for descriptive things.

I don't want to share my experience quite yet, until I understand more on the subject.

-iWitness
Re: Possession [message #1456 is a reply to message #1453] Fri, 16 November 2012 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denryu is currently offline  Denryu
On my mission in Japan, once another elder and I were on the roof of a ~5 story building and I got a strong urge to jump off. There was nothing going terribly wrong in my life, certainly no reason to be suicidal, but it was an almost overpowering compulsion. Almost. I don;t know if that qualifies as possession or simply a spiritual attack.

Shortly after I got home from my mission (a few weeks) I went thru a very rough period. I felt a withdrawal of the spirit and the special protection and companionship of the spirit. One day I was overcome with hateful feelings. I called my family together and told each one of them why I hated/despised them. Something that I have repented and apologized for repeatedly in the almost 30 years since. Looking back, I would qualify that experience as a possession.

I have had other experiences since then that I would say were mostly unsuccessful (on the part of the evil spirit(s). Occasionally I wallow in depression, self-pity, etc. which I feel can be a gateway drug to more serious/dangerous possession.

Libertas optimas rarem, nunquam servili sub nexu.
"There is no gift like Liberty, therefore never live under slavery."
Re: Possession [message #1604 is a reply to message #1453] Fri, 14 December 2012 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustMe is currently offline  JustMe
Not sure if this would qualify as "possession" exactly but...
In about 2001 my husband was having terrible headaches which he had begun taking strong prescriptions for. They changed his personality--made all the bad things worse and the few good things even fewer, if that makes sense. I found out later he was abusing the prescriptions, but at the time I did not know it. When something didn't work the doctors would abruptly prescribe something new and he was like a walking medicine cabinet.
Anyway, my husband had done a lot of mean, crazy, scary things, but one night at about 2:oo a.m. he sat straight up in bed--I mean straight up, and started ranting and raving about things in the past. Now, my (ex) husband was the type that couldn't ever remember our anniversary, the children's birthdays, or even where we went on our honeymoon, let alone small details about our relationship. However, he was yelling and going on about the tiniest things that I couldn't believe he could remember. He looked and sounded like he was in a rage, belittling me and screaming at me and spewing forth hatred and vile things. It was very frightening at first and I was scared. But then I felt an understanding come over me that this was not my husband, but an evil spirit. Suddenly I wasn't afraid anymore. Don't ask me why that didn't freak me out even more, but for some reason it was less scary to know it was an evil spirit saying those things and acting that way, than to have it be my husband, if that makes sense. I felt so calm that I didn't even think to try casting it out. Perhaps it wouldn't have worked, anyway, because he had done things which allowed it in.

This went on for exactly two hours. I just sat there in the bed watching him and listening for my children. At this time they were young and both of them usually got up at least once or twice in the night. I was terrified they would wake up and come in and see him that way.

At 4:00 a.m. he abruptly stopped yelling. Then he lay down and fell asleep almost instantly. It was like someone had just flipped the "off" switch.

Neither of my kids woke up until 6:00 and I was so grateful that they had slept through the entire thing. I feel sure they were protected.

Not very long after that (within a day or two) my husband took a handful of pills in a halfhearted (and high) suicide attempt. He was again in a rage. He was standing in the kitchen kind of going crazy. He must have tripped or something because suddenly he was falling over backwards. He fell straight backwards to at least a 45 degree angle (picture a tree tipping over). At about the 45 degrees he caught himself somehow and slowly rose straight forward. It was freaky--I've never seen anything like it before or since.

That's the closest I've ever come to seeing someone who was possessed. I hope I never have to witness anything like it again.

~JustMe
Re: Possession [message #1621 is a reply to message #1453] Mon, 17 December 2012 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Called to Serve is currently offline  Called to Serve
After the birth of my fourth baby I was severely depressed. I asked my husband for a blessing and was told that I would overcome this difficulty through my spirituality. Over the course of several months, I began to notice that I would get into "fits" of sorts. I could feel them coming on and couldn't seem to do anything to stop them. I would pray, read my scriptures, sing hymns, anything, but I would just keep getting worse and worse until I was in a screaming rage. I was terribly unhappy about these ordeals because of how I was treating my family.

As I continued to go through these trials, I began to discover different things about them. I soon noticed that they came on after I had done things that I shouldn't have (like wasting time watching TV or things like that.) I also discovered that I could stop them by asking for a blessing. After a while, I noticed the Spirit would tell me to get a blessing, and if I didn't do it at the next available chance, I would start to go in one of these fits.

I believe that these fits were demonic possession and that the power of the priesthood was able to cast them out. I later learned how to cast out evil spirits myself in the name of Christ and would do that whenever I felt the need. After a time, the Lord promised me that I would not have evil spirits come into me anymore and the only experience I have had since then was a time I believe when the Lord wanted to give my husband a chance to knowingly cast an evil spirit out of me.
Re: Possession [message #1659 is a reply to message #1621] Thu, 20 December 2012 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustMe is currently offline  JustMe
That is interesting, Called to Serve, thanks for sharing! This reminded me of several other experiences I have had besides the time above. Though I'm not sure I'd call them full blown possession--perhaps just influence? One Sunday it had been particularly hectic getting to church and when we got there everybody was in an ornery mood, including me. My two young children were bickering and fighting and I had to sit in between them. They kept leaning on me and rubbing on my arms and it was soooooo irritating and I shook them off rudely several times. My husband was just sitting there stonily with his head in his hands. I suddenly wondered why we were all so irritable, especially me to not want my children to touch me, etc., and wondered if we had an evil spirit(s). I figured it couldn't hurt to ask, so I asked Heavenly Father to send Priesthood-bearing angels to come and cast out and bind any evil spirits that might be present and influencing us (couldn't exactly raise my arm to the square right there in church). The change was dramatic and instant. I no longer felt irritated. My husband sat up and smiled and my children did, too. In fact, they both gave me a hug. The rest of the meeting passed happily and unevenfully.
Another time my 9 year old son had suddenly started experiencing nosebleeds. They would start abruptly and seemed to have no cause. I was trying to pray and do some theta work (if anyone is familiar with this) to figure out why, since I didn't figure the doctor would do anything and I saw/felt that they were being caused by an evil spirit who was trying to get to my son. (This made me very angry! Fierce Mama.) All this stuff was so new to me, and I was a bit nervous about talking to my 9 year old about this, but he was receptive and not afraid and we cast the spirit out. He didn't have another nosebleed again for several months. He got one more once when we were visiting at some people's house in another state. We went directly into the bathroom to clean him up and cast the spirit out again. He's never had another nosebleed since, for any reason, and he's 15 yrs. old now.

~JustMe
Re: Possession [message #1670 is a reply to message #1659] Thu, 20 December 2012 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iWitness
This is wonderful! thank you all for your replies. It's definately made me feel more sane knowing how, why, when, and where these things happen.

-iWitness
Re: Possession [message #1671 is a reply to message #1670] Thu, 20 December 2012 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

If you haven't yet read "Conquering Spiritual Evil" by Douglass Mendenhall, I would recommend it iWitness!

~Jules
Re: Possession [message #1683 is a reply to message #1453] Thu, 20 December 2012 23:43 Go to previous message
rdwhitaker is currently offline  rdwhitaker
On my mission, an Elder told me about the 4 year son in an investigator family they were teaching. One evening the family called the missionaries and told them their son was acting very strange and asked them to come over. The missionaries immediately felt the presence of an evil spirit that had taken possession of the boy. The boy was ranting and screaming, then swooning into a stupor for awhile, then acting up again. The Elders explained to the parents what a priesthood blessing was and then started to get ready to do it.

As soon as the one Elder pulled out his anointing oil, the boy started laughing at him, and said the oil would not do any good - it was useless. The Elder continued to get the oil ready, and the boy started yelling at him to put it away. As he began to drop oil on the boy's head, the boy started begging and crying, asking him to please stop it. When the oil touched his head, he started writhing and screaming and said "Its burning me! Stop it!" The Elders were pretty rattled by this opposition but were more determined than ever to go forward with it. They were able to hold the boy down long enough to give a blessing and command the evil spirit to leave.

The boy quieted down after that, and the Elders thought they were done. After a few minutes, the boy started laughing at them and told them, "See? I told you couldn't do anything! You're powerless!" This got the Elders upset and so they were really determined to cast out the evil spirit once and for all. They repeated the blessing with the same response and reactions as before. Once again, the boy quieted down, but the evil spirit soon returned and mocked the missionaries.

Feeling truly nervous about the failure of their priesthood power to cast out this persistent spirit, they called their mission president and explained the situation. He thought for a moment and directed the Elders to open a door or a window, and to cast the evil spirit out of not only the boy, but out of the house.

So they repeated the scene pretty much as before, with the boy mocking and complaining what they were doing. This time, however, they opened the front door. When they cast out the evil spirit, the Elders said there was might rush of wind that swooped out of the room and out the open door, which slammed shut by itself after the spirit left. The boy started crying as any child would when upset, and soon afterwards he fell soundly asleep.

I was not there to witness this, but I heard it from one of the Elders who participated in that experience.

rdw

Don't . . . Quit . . . Trying!!

[Updated on: Thu, 20 December 2012 23:45]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Is there an opposite to the Calling and Election made sure?
Next Topic: Evils Spirits Experienced During Mission
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:45:48 MDT 2024