Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Sunday Preparation - Talks & Lessons » Gospel Doctrine Book of Mormon Lesson 42 (A Discussion of 3rd Nephi 27-30, and 4th Nephi)
Gospel Doctrine Book of Mormon Lesson 42 [message #1384] Sun, 04 November 2012 08:11 Go to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
I read through these chapters and found something interesting.
3Nephi 28:18
But this much I know, according to the record which hath been given--they did go forth upon the face of the land, and did minister unto all the people, uniting as many to the church as would believe in their preaching; baptizing them, and as many as were baptized did receive the Holy Ghost.

This quote is in reference to the 3 Nephites. They continued to teach and baptize as many as would believe. Now, considering that they, and John the Beloved, and an unknown number of others have been and are still among the children of God, I assume they have continued to baptize throughout the dark ages and today. They clearly have authority to do so. That authority was not removed when it was also given to Joseph Smith.

If someone is converted by a translated being, and baptized, it occurs to me they might not join the LDS Church. Also, if it is possible for people to bypass the law altogether, as some have suggested in other posts, these translated beings would certainly be teaching the path to Christ, which leads them to the Church of the Firstborn. I believe I have at last found one way, written in the scriptures, in which a man can come unto Christ without ever hearing the name Joseph Smith in our day.

This being said, I am certain now that there are others. While I previously believed it, I now feel certain of it.

- Dragon

[Updated on: Sun, 04 November 2012 08:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Gospel Doctrine Book of Mormon Lesson 42 [message #1388 is a reply to message #1384] Mon, 05 November 2012 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zephyr is currently offline  zephyr
As I look at that verse, I see:

Quote:
uniting as many to the church as would believe in their preaching;

Their goal was to bring souls to Christ as long as the world would stand. Their method was to bring them into the Church of Christ. During the Dark Ages, I can see why they couldn't do that, but what would be their motivation or justification today?

Why would the Lord direct them to keep people from His church? Why deny them all the blessings that come with membership, including temple attendance?

The Lord can do whatever He wants, and so far His efforts seem to be focused on building up His church throughout the world.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 November 2012 23:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Gospel Doctrine Book of Mormon Lesson 42 [message #1464 is a reply to message #1388] Sun, 18 November 2012 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

Dragon requested I post this here as well:

We talked about the multitude in 3rd/4th Nephi today in Gospel Doctrine class, and I got "shot down" for pointing these things out there, but I'm going to post it here Very Happy .

This group of people accepted the fullness of the Gospel as a whole, and lived together as a "Zion society" - living the higher laws and living as the City of Enoch did for 200 years before they began to crumble apart.

In 4 Nephi:
Quote:
1 And it came to pass that the thirty and fourth year passed away, and also the thirty and fifth, and behold the disciples of Jesus had formed a church of Christ in all the lands round about. And as many as did come unto them, and did truly repent of their sins, were baptized in the name of Jesus; and they did also receive the Holy Ghost.

They did more than just the symbolic motions, they TRULY went through the spiritual ordinances.

Quote:
2 And it came to pass in the thirty and sixth year, the people were all converted unto the Lord, upon all the face of the land, both Nephites and Lamanites, and there were no contentions and disputations among them, and every man did deal justly one with another.

They were CONVERTED UNTO THE LORD - that says a lot in just that one line.

Quote:
3 And they had all things common among them; therefore there were not rich and poor, bond and free, but they were all made free, and partakers of the heavenly gift.

The had "all things common among them" - as opposed to verse 26 where the society was breaking up and they "began to be divided into classes".

Also, they were "partakers of the heavenly gift" which is clarified here:

Quote:
JST, Hebrews 6:4
4 For he hath made it impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

Then in verse 12, it illustrates that they were now living the higher law:

Quote:
12 And they did not walk any more after the performances and ordinances of the law of Moses; but they did walk after the commandments which they had received from their Lord and their God, continuing in fasting and prayer, and in meeting together oft both to pray and to hear the word of the Lord.

They were no longer performing the ordinances under the lower law of Moses, but living the higher law that was given to them.

~Jules
Re: Gospel Doctrine Book of Mormon Lesson 42 [message #1480 is a reply to message #1464] Fri, 23 November 2012 19:18 Go to previous message
zephyr is currently offline  zephyr
The first ordinance they received from the Lord, which had nothing to do with the Law of Moses, was baptism. I found it interesting that the Lord had them perform the ordinance on people who probably had already received it, but I guess it was part of starting fresh.

The one ordinance which I don't see in 3 Nephi, but is mentioned in Moroni 2:2 is the laying on of hands for the Gift of the Holy Ghost.
Previous Topic: Gospel Doctrine Book of Mormon Lesson 41
Next Topic: Lesson on Christmas
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:20:49 MDT 2024