Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Current Church Doctrine » Born again and Calling and Election (Identifying when one has been born again vs. receiving their Calling and Election)
Born again and Calling and Election [message #1113] Mon, 17 September 2012 21:38 Go to next message
Eric is currently offline  Eric
Born Again vs. Calling and Election

We must be careful to understand the difference between being born again and having our calling and election made sure (CE). While this may seem simple and in fact some may question the need for it, I suggest that is as important as properly identifying being baptized by water vs being baptized by the spirit.

Why? If we believe that we have been born again, baptized by fire and the Holy Ghost but have not, then we will not seek that blessing. We will be as the king in the story about the king's new clothes when indeed he was naked. Similarly, we need to understand the difference between being born again vs. having our CE. If we think we have had our CE, but have not, we will not be seeking it. In fact we will be just as self-deceived as many in the church today who think they are saved since they have participated in all of the physical ordinances. They are self-deceived, and therefore off the mark.

Born Again
Born of the Spirit, baptized by fire and the Holy Ghost, become as a little child, mighty change of heart, truly repentant, washed in the blood of Christ these are of course synonyms for being born again. The basic elements surrounding being born again have been described in the Book of Mormon, by various individuals and by the General Authorities.

Here are the four basic elements which are involved in identifying when someone has experienced the re-birth.

1 When we are born again, we realize the receipt of the Holy Ghost as our constant companion the gift we were directed to seek at our confirmation. "The statement 'receive the Holy Ghost' in our confirmation was a directive to strive for the baptism of the Spirit". (Elder David A. Bednar, CR April 2006). And from Elder Hafen, "Receiving the Holy Ghost is the baptism by fire which truly begins the process of becoming like Jesus." (Elder Bruce Hafen, BYU, Feb 2008).

Many are of the belief that the "gift of the Holy Ghost" in and of itself gives us a leg up over our other worldly brethren. Indeed it does not. They are just as capable of receiving personal revelation as we are. In theory, the difference is when we receive the Holy Ghost as our constant companion - they have not been given this gift. However, it is interesting to note that throughout history, the Lord works His own work and will cleanse who He will.

2 When we are born again we receive a remission of sins. We are baptized by fire and the Holy Ghost and we are told that we are forgiven. "We sometimes speak of the baptism for the remission of sins. The remission, if you will read the scriptures carefully, comes through the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost." (Elder Boyd K. Packer, Ensign Aug 2006), (see also 2 Nephi 31:17, 3 Nephi 12:2). See Enos 1-8 I use Enos as it is very concise and demonstrates several of the basic elements of the born again experience. He was told that his sins were forgiven and his guilt was washed away. "Once we have truly repented, Christ will take away the burden of guilt for our sins. We can know for ourselves that we have been forgiven and made clean. The Holy Ghost will verify this to us, he is the sanctifier. No other testimony of forgiveness can be greater". (Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf, CR April 2007).

This is the primary hallmark of being born again being told by the Spirit that we have been forgiven and guilt being swept away. While not every scriptural account specifies that the participants were told this it is consistent with the experiences of everyone I have ever spoken with who has been born again. It is also consistent with the comments made by the participants in the scriptures after their experience.

While we may repent as we strive to progress, we are not truly forgiven until we receive a remission of our sins.

3 - When we are born again, we experience a "mighty change of heart". "This baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost here spoken of by Nephi (referring to 2 Nephi 31:17) effects the great change in the hearts of men referred to by Alma. It converts them from carnality to spirituality. It cleanses, heals, and purifies the soul. It is the sealing and sign of forgiveness. It is the spiritual rebirth spoken of by Jesus to Nicodemus. Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, repentance, and water baptism are all preliminary and prerequisite to it, but it is the consummation. To receive it is to have ones garments washed in the atoning blood of Christ." (Marion G. Romney, "Look To God and Live", p269).

This change of heart is not from us or our own efforts. We cannot change our own heart. We can make changes and the Spirit can change us in small ways as we progress, but a complete change of heart is what happens at the re-birth by the Holy Spirit.

4 - When we are born again, we are filled with joy which is the pure love of Christ. See Mosiah 4:3. This is a classic example and is consistent with other scriptural accounts and real life experiences of those I have spoken with. See Moroni 7:47-48. This is FAR DIFFERENT than the "joy" we think we feel when we watch our children progress and make good decisions in life.

In summary if the four elements or markers, we receive the Holy Ghost as our constant companion, we receive a remission of our sins, our hearts are changed, and we are filled with joy (the pure love of Christ).

There is a perspective amongst some that the Enos experience is actually when he received his CE. However, the identifier of the CE is not evident. Also, comments by some of our prophets that seem to be attuned to this subject (Spencer W. Kimball and Ezra Taft Benson) include Enos in their examples of the rebirth, not CE.

Calling and Election

1 When we receive our calling and election, we are told that we will be exalted.

So far, that seems to be the primary and only consistent aspect of the CE experience. The language will vary slightly but not much since the core message is the same every time. Some are told of their faithfulness but even that doesn't seem to be consistent.

There are many experiences that individuals have when they receive their CR. but unlike the re-birth experience where there are four primary aspects which happen in every single instance, there seems to be only one with CE. Once a person has been told that they will be exalted, the range of experiences are very broad and varying. Some are shown all of creation, some see the Savior, some have long conversations and visitations with angels. Some are called into the temple and receive a physical ordinance. But none of these other experiences seem to be consistent with every individual that receives their CE. There is only one common factor that is consistent every single time, and that is what I consider the "core message". You will be exalted.

I have not received my CE and I have not even been born again. I have been studying these concepts since 2006 and have had opportunities to speak with a number of individuals about their rebirth experience. Their consistency is amazing those four elements are there every single time. As for interviewing those who have had their CE I have yet to personally encounter someone who has said they have had their CE. However, I have heard accounts from what I would call first level witnesses. I have a very good friend who is 81 and his mentor received his CE while out in the corn field where the Savior appeared to him. I have read other accounts of individuals and those that are available in the scriptures and again, they vary and only have one truly consistent element (at least from my study) and that is the message that they will be exalted.

Let me be very clear. The circumstances are always unique to the individual. The path leading to their experience is always tailored and specially designed for that individual. (Which, by the way, is why it is difficult for one individual to instruct another on how to achieve it - the best counsel is always from the Lord to the individual). No two are the same although they may at times bear some similar traits. However, the identifying markers are always the same.

So, why do I write this? First, I don't see much out there that helps distinguish between the two. In fact, if you bring it up in today's modern church, there are very few who even know what you are really talking about - whether discussing being born again ro having your CE.

Also, as I stand back and watch people in their lives, I see many who are off the mark. Some because they are asleep, others because they are self-deceived into thinking they have achieved what they have not. In either case, it can at best delay our progress and at worst destroy us. Thus my personal belief is that no matter how spiritually advanced we may be (beginner class or the advanced class) we must know our status before the Lord and understand clearly where we are in our progress lest we find ourselves deceived and wandering off the path.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 September 2012 21:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Born again and Calling and Election [message #1117 is a reply to message #1113] Tue, 18 September 2012 09:57 Go to previous message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Eric,
You're in luck! There are many here who have achieved their Calling and Election Made Sure. There is plenty written on this forum, in other sections, on what it means, what should be expected, and how to proceed in obtaining it. There is plenty of scriptural references to show the discussion is on the right track.

As for whether one person can teach another to achieve, their Calling and Election, re-read Revelation chapters 6 and 7. There I see horrible calamities which are nearly upon us, or all around us, depending on your point of view, and an answer as to who can endure such trials without losing their testimony, as did 5 of the 10 virgins in the parable. The answer is to receive the Seal of God in our foreheads, which is a sign of having one's C&E. What's more, 144,000 who achieve this in the last days go forth and teach it to others. I recently came to understand this means only half the LDS Church will understand and accept it, while many others will embrace it as well. If it is your desire to achieve your C&E, I recommend you read chapter 7 closely, pray about it, and decide whether you want to talk to one of the 144,000. They are here, today. Perhaps even all of them have been called.

- Dragon
Previous Topic: What does the word infinite mean in relation to the Atonement?
Next Topic: The Principle of Compensation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:48:32 MDT 2024