Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » General Conference & Devotional Discussion » A Reason Why The Spirit Withdraws (An article explaining why we may experience this)
A Reason Why The Spirit Withdraws [message #1091] Thu, 13 September 2012 10:46 Go to next message
JulesGP

I am sorry I have no source for this article, it was sent to me via email. I wanted to share it though because it rang true and helped me understand some of my own feelings recently - after having gone through some HUGE spiritual changes and feeling such a huge outpouring of the spirit, and then having it seem to withdraw almost entirely for awhile. I've had some awesome experiences recently that seem to have brought it back - but as the article discusses, it required work on my part to reach for that new level. Anyway, I thought I'd share, and I'd love to read others' thoughts on this - and supporting scriptures as well!!

Quote:
A Reason Why The Spirit Withdraws

When you master trials and lessons on one level, the Lord may withdraw to some degree the directions of his Spirit, much as a wise parent lets go of a child's hand when the child is wise enough to cross the street without help. You wonder what is wrong. But sensing that you aren't doing anything different than you were an hour ago when you felt the Spirit striving with you, an appropriate response might be to humbly pray and thank your Heavenly Father for having confidence in your ability to move to a higher level of commitment and spirituality. You can then examine your personality, attitude, habits, ways of interacting with people, and your relationship with Deity. If you need to work on an area, the Spirit will let you know. As you consciously work on improving in that area, the Spirit will return.

Time passes, and you will feel fairly confident that you have mastered the new Christlike characteristic. Then the Spirit withdraws. When the Spirit withdraws, you may not feel like being good. But you know you are on the right track, so you bridge the spiritual gap and do what you know you should. Before long, the test is over and the Spirit returns, carrying you to a higher level. This process may seem overly simple, but it accurately describes how the missionaries report their progress. The scriptures also confirm this process. In 2 Chronicles 32:31 is recorded this timely explanation: "God left him, to try him, that he might know all that was in his heart." We must learn to know ourselves well enough so that we are willing to do whatever the Lord requires of us--even when we are not highly motivated by the Spirit to do it.

If you were always in touch with the Spirit, you would not be tempted. President Brigham Young taught this principle in a powerful sermon:

"I ask, is there a reason for men and women being exposed
more constantly and more powerfully, to the power of the
enemy, by having visions than by not having them? There is and
it is simply this--God never bestows upon His people, or upon an
individual, superior blessings without a severe trial to prove them,
to prove that individual, or that people, to see whether they will
keep their covenants with Him, and keep in remembrance what
He has shown them. Then the greater the vision, the greater the
display of the power of the enemy. And when such individuals are
off their guard they are left to themselves, as Jesus was. For this
express purpose the Father withdrew His spirit from His Son, at
the time he was to be crucified. Jesus had been with his Father,
talked with Him, dwelt in His bosom, and knew all about heaven,
about making the earth, about the transgression of man, and what
would redeem the people, and that he was the character who was
to redeem the sons of earth, and the earth itself from all sin that
had come upon it. The light, knowledge, power, and glory with
which he was clothed were far above, or exceeded that of all others
who had been upon the earth after the fall, consequently at the
very moment, at the hour when the crisis came for him to offer up
his life, the Father withdrew Himself, withdrew His Spirit, and cast
a vail (sic) over him. That is what made him sweat blood. If he had
had the power of God upon him, he would not have sweat blood; but
all was withdrawn from him and a veil was cast over him, and he then
plead with the Father not to forsake him, 'No,' says the Father, 'you
must have your trials, as well as others.'

"So when individuals are blessed with visions, revelations, and great
manifestations, look out, then the devil is nigh you, and you will be
tempted in proportion to the vision, revelation, or manifestation you
have received. Hence thousands, when they are off their guard, give
way to the severe temptations which come upon them, and behold they
are gone (in Journal of Discourses, 3:205-6)."

Perhaps you may feel like a yo-yo! You rise to a certain level, the Spirit withdraws so you can be tempted; you fall back where you were, the Spirit returns to pick you up; then it leaves again and you fall, only to start the process all over again. Wouldn't it be more productive to replace that scenario with one like this: You rise to a certain level, the Spirit leaves so you can be tested; you live the principle you just learned, even though you don't feel particularly motivated to be good; the Spirit returns to help you move to the next higher level; the cycle repeats over and over as the Lord perfects you? Understanding the Lord's process of perfecting you will help you avoid condemning yourself when the Spirit withdraws.

When the Spirit withdraws because of sin, it is like a swift kick in the pants. When the Spirit leaves because you are being tested at a higher level, it is a pat on the back. This congratulatory signal shows that your Heavenly Father is confident that you are ready for the next level in your spiritual progression. It is imperative not to mistake the pat on the back for the kick in the pants. It is equally imperative that you not think you are being congratulated when, in reality, you are being chastised. The adversary will constantly tell you that the Spirit
withdraws because you are bad, have sinned, or are hopelessly lost. Satan wants you to give up and go home disgraced. However, if you know what is really happening to you, you can command him to leave. He is the destroyer, the great deceiver, the eternal pessimist. There is a simple yet effective way to decide if it is Satan telling you that you are worthless or if it is the Lord urging you to move ahead. When the Spirit withdraws, Satan will cause you to feel worthless, discouraged, depressed, hopeless, unmotivated, unworthy, and useless; Heavenly Father will cause the feelings of "I can do this; I need to take another step forward; give me another mountain to climb." Heavenly Father will build you up. The feelings of humble confidence, optimism, excitement, and exhilaration for the challenge are all indications that the Lord is coaxing you to improve yourself and to take the next important step on your pathway to exaltation.

Not only will this be a valuable lesson to learn, but you can also bless the lives of your companions, members, and investigators. Too many people act like lost puppies, believing they have sinned, when they should actually be jubilant because our Heavenly Father wants them to take on their next great challenge. Your ability to discern the difference in why the Spirit leaves could save you and many others a lot of worry and wasted time. Knowing the difference will also help you to make other major decisions correctly for the rest of your life.

~Jules
Re: A Reason Why The Spirit Withdraws [message #1092 is a reply to message #1091] Thu, 13 September 2012 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Archeantus is currently offline  Archeantus
Looks like it is from: Serve with Honor, Helps for Missionaries, by Randy L. Bott, 1995 at least according to this website margiesmessages.com/tworeas.htm

I have not yet had grand visions, revelations etc. in my life. But I know that temptations increase when I am striving more diligently to do what is right and have a greater influx of the spirit in my life.

Re: A Reason Why The Spirit Withdraws [message #1096 is a reply to message #1092] Fri, 14 September 2012 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Randy Bott was a great teacher when I was preparing for my mission. I took his class Winter semester of '95, shortly before my mission. I don't recall him ever saying this in class, but there is no way he could cover everything.

Personally, I have never experienced this. If the Spirit has withdrawn from me, it is I who is not willing to feel its presence. The Spirit has always been with me, always there to answer my questions, comfort me when I am able to accept that comfort, etc. Have you seen the painting 'Journey's End'? That is how I feel when I pray for comfort.

- Dragon
Re: A Reason Why The Spirit Withdraws [message #1108 is a reply to message #1092] Mon, 17 September 2012 00:09 Go to previous message
JulesGP

Archeantus thank you for the information! I would love to see more posts from you and have your insight and input in the discussions Wink

~Jules
Next Topic: Unblogmysoul Reunion Talks
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 04:23:42 MDT 2024