Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » All About Sons Of Perdition (Discussion and questions)
Re: All About Sons Of Perdition [message #1786 is a reply to message #898] Sun, 30 December 2012 13:54 Go to previous message
rdwhitaker is currently offline  rdwhitaker
I found some interesting things on this subject:

From wikipedia:

A few LDS Church leaders have speculated whether or not there would be daughters of perdition, as well as sons of perdition. "In 1860, LDS Church President Brigham Young stated, "I doubt whether it can be found, from the revelations that are given and the facts as they exist, that there is a female in all the regions of hell."[7] The next year he was even more emphatic: "Woman must atone for sins committed by the volition of her own choice, but she will never become an angel to the devil, and sin so far as to place herself beyond the reach of mercy." [8] In the same discourse he explained his reasoning: "She is not accountable for the sins that are in the world. God requires obedience from man, he is lord of creation, and at his hands the sins of the world will be required."[8] In 1903 another Church President, Joseph F. Smith, also affirmed "that there would be no daughters of perdition."[9]

However, such views are far from universal. After an 1893 meeting of Church President Wilford Woodruff and a group of LDS Church Apostles, they declared, "That there will also be daughters of Perdition there is no doubt in the minds of the brethren".[10] Such conflicting views suggests that this subject has not been settled by a consensus of the LDS Church leadership or by a revelation to one of the Church Presidents."

Cites from the article:

7- Journal of Discourses 8:222
8 - a b Discourse delivered October 8, 1861, pp. 67, LDS Church Archives.
9 - Stan Larsen, ed., A Ministry of Meetings: The Diaries of Rudger Clawson, (Salt Lake City: Smith Associates and Signature Books, 1993], p. 560
10 - D. Michael Quinn, The Mormon Hierarchy: Extensions of Power (Salt Lake City: Signature Books, 1997), p. 795

__* * *
Another quote from Bruce R. McConkie (from fairmormon.org website): "Perhaps the best response to this question comes from Elder Bruce R. McConkie:

"Somebody called me up on the telephone and asked if there were daughters of perdition. I said: "I don't know" and he said, "How can I find out--I just called Spencer Kimball and he told me he didn't know either."

Ryan

Don't . . . Quit . . . Trying!!
Previous Topic: ?? Who is "The One" ??
Next Topic: Are Lucifer and Satan separate beings?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:02:42 MDT 2024