Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » Identity of the Holy Ghost
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2118 is a reply to message #895] Tue, 29 January 2013 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brrgilbert is currently offline  brrgilbert
A much appreciated insight, Brother Ryan. Thank you. B.G.

"I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies."

The Little Prince by St. Exupery
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2178 is a reply to message #2079] Mon, 04 February 2013 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

FreddyV wrote on Thu, 24 January 2013 17:47

Quote:
The scriptures have explained that the "Holy Ghost" which dwells in you - this personage of Spirit - has the following other descriptions, or attributes:
-the Comforter
-the record of heaven
-the truth of all things
-the peacable things of immortal glory
-that which quickeneth all things
-that which knoweth all things
-that which has all power according to wisdom, mercy, truth, justice and judgment.
(Moses 6: 61.)
This is a description of the personage of Spirit which dwells inside you. This is the Holy Ghost. This is something that can be in contact with the Holy Spirit, or the "mind of the Father and Son."

Frederick, I think this quote holds a very important key; that OUR SPIRIT is in communication with the SPIRIT OF THE LORD - or that they are communicating spirit-to-spirit. This is what I believe, in summary, that it means when we "feel the spirit", or when the Holy Ghost "speaks to us". I realize this is quite a different paradigm for many, but this is the understanding I have been led to up to this point.

~Jules
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2191 is a reply to message #895] Wed, 06 February 2013 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FreddyV is currently offline  FreddyV
Jules,

That is exactly what I have learned. Thank you for stating it so clearly. The Gospel really is very simple, and this is one of those plain and precious truths.
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2480 is a reply to message #2191] Tue, 21 May 2013 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bishop is currently offline  bishop
2 Nephi 32: 3 Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.

This is another clue as to who or what is the Holy Ghost. From what I have observed, angels who watch over us and speak to us are usually relatives from our past or our future. They are working out their salvation as they guide us in working out our salvation.
This is just what I have observed from stories of people who have had near death experiences-I'm not going to quote any scriptures on this. This would corroborate what Son of Zion said to some degree-that there are many Holy Ghosts in a sense. This would also go along with the thought that the Light of Christ fills the universe.

Bishop
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2481 is a reply to message #2480] Tue, 21 May 2013 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

bishop wrote on Tue, 21 May 2013 19:26
2 Nephi 32: 3 Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.

This is another clue as to who or what is the Holy Ghost. From what I have observed, angels who watch over us and speak to us are usually relatives from our past or our future. They are working out their salvation as they guide us in working out our salvation.
This is just what I have observed from stories of people who have had near death experiences-I'm not going to quote any scriptures on this. This would corroborate what Son of Zion said to some degree-that there are many Holy Ghosts in a sense. This would also go along with the thought that the Light of Christ fills the universe.

If angels whisper a message from Christ or the words of Christ he wants us to hear, to OUR spirit, is that not communication by the power of our spirit when it is holy - in tune - able to receive those messages - or by the Holy Ghost? That's how I understand it anyway.

~Jules
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2551 is a reply to message #895] Wed, 05 June 2013 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RedMint is currently offline  RedMint
Admittedly, I am young and not a gospel scholar, but it just seems that we are missing the mark when it comes to understanding the holy ghost. I don't get if there is supposed to be just ONE holy ghost for Israel, or for earth, or for our galaxy, or our universe, or even for infinite multi-universes. I've been told that he(?) is a personage of spirit and is the third member of the godhead whom is perfectly synchronized at all times with the minds of the Father and Son and the only member certified to ALWAYS tell us the pure truth. When I think of a personage I think of a person like me in one place at one time. So I don't understand how the holy ghost can be our constant companion and dwell in each of us if he is just one personage in one place at one time. I was taught that the holy ghost broadcasts like the tv or radio and that is how he can be everywhere, but instead of just one message being broadcast to all of us the holy ghost customizes his message and actions for each of us, so the tv broadcast model just doesn't make any sense.

We speak so eloquently of the virtually unlimited powers accessible through the holy ghost who knows everything and can teach us ALL truth and provide us with incredible super hero powers as various gifts of the spirit. Indeed, that these gifts would follow them that believe. However, when the rubber meets the road we have a tendency to dial all that back to a very still small voice that we are lucky if it helps us choose the right brand of soup at the grocery store. Rather than healing cripples and blind people and being ministered to by holy angels, we renige and say well, that's why they Lord has given us modern doctors and drugs, so we don't need to do that healing stuff and all the works that Christ said we would do, anymore. With our access to unlimited knowledge through the holy ghost we should be inventing free energy machines, and helping out the perplexed theoretical physicists understand dark matter and life in the universe. Instead, we quiver our lips bearing our testimony and say that is pretty much the same thing.

When I ask these type of questions and make these type of observations, I have my morality questioned and asked if it may be that my personal radio tubes are not all functioning properly and btw am I attending all my meetings; even suggesting that I may be apostate and that the prophet will let me know if I need to understand these things or not; or that all these things are actually happening constantly to every member except me but they are too sacred to talk about. Now I am getting all upset which is pretty much the norm I guess for girls with red hair. But I'm not going to stop seeking the answers nor stop seeking for further enlightenment. So if anybody on this forum can provide me even just a little more insight I would love you so much for it.
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2556 is a reply to message #2551] Sat, 08 June 2013 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contemplator is currently offline  Contemplator
RedMint,

It has long seemed to me that our current understanding of the Holy Ghost is incomplete. Your questions illustrate internal inconsistencies in the traditional conversations about the Holy Ghost in church lessons and discussions. I don't think that I can answer your questions, but I might be able to help with some insights that have been productive in my own searching. And, I have found that there is an understanding of the Holy Ghost that addresses all of your concerns.

First, there is D&C 121:26-28 -
Quote:
26 God shall give unto you knowledge by his Holy Spirit, yea, by the unspeakable gift of the Holy Ghost, that has not been revealed since the world was until now;
27 Which our forefathers have awaited with anxious expectation to be revealed in the last times, which their minds were pointed to by the angels, as held in reserve for the fulness of their glory;
28 A time to come in the which nothing shall be withheld, whether there be one God or many gods, they shall be manifest.

Notice that this passage describes knowledge being given by God's Holy Spirit and it mentions the unspeakable gift of the Holy Ghost. I suspect that different words (Holy Spirit and Holy Ghost) are used in this passage because they actually refer to different things. I have found it very productive to study the differences between the Holy Spirit and the Holy Ghost. Denver Snuffer explores this in a series of posts that starts with "God's Many Works" and continues through a discussion of the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost. In addition, Lecture 5 of Lectures on Faith addresses this. Assume that Lecture 5 is correct and see where it takes you.

Another observation from this passage is that the "unspeakable gift of the Holy Ghost" has not been revealed since the world was until now. But, it is expected to be revealed in the last times. I believe that God will reveal it to us individually. It is not for us to reveal it to others, yet.

Another resource I have found very productive is the temple. I noticed that the Holy Ghost is not mentioned explicitly in the endowment session. That made me wonder why not. So, prayerfully asking for understanding, I watched carefully for the Holy Ghost and found that there is a lot there. One particularly important insight came from something that is in the live endowment as presented in Salt Lake or Manti, but is not apparent in the same way in the film presentation. In any case, I believe that the work of the Holy Ghost is well represented in the temple. Search 2 Nephi 31 as it contains a list of the roles of each member of the Godhead. Look for what Nephi teaches about the role of the Holy Ghost in the symbolic representations in the temple. It is my belief that there is much that Lord would like to teach us Himself. It is not for us to presume to teach what He has reserved to Himself.

The Lord has invited us to ask and given the promise that we will receive (don't forget the searching and knocking parts). Among the most important things that we can ask about are a knowledge of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. For me, it has been a process of asking, seeking and knocking over many years. I am so grateful for God's love. He has taught me about each member of the Godhead. And, I believe that he loves each of us completely and will teach each of us as quickly as we will receive what he offers.

I hope this is of a little help. Mostly, I just want to say from my experience that these are questions worth pursuing and that the answers will come from God.
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2563 is a reply to message #2556] Tue, 11 June 2013 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Contemplator! You have literally brought tears to me eyes that you would take the time to give serious reply to my rantings and I do indeed send you my love. A couple things you pointed out have particularly stood out to me. First, as many times as I might have read section 121, I have for some reason never really noticed that particular verse. Maybe that's because we spend so much time teaching out of manuals these days rather than directly from the scriptures, and our attention is carefully directed to just specific verses and specific interpretations. In fact, I remember about a year after my mission that my Bishop's wife rounded up all of the teachers for a special meeting and gave us instruction that we were to teach nothing except exactly what was written in the teaching manuals; nothing more and nothing less. I remember that we were all giving each other perplexed sideways glances, but no one said anything.

The second shocker you brought to me was about the Holy Ghost never actually being mentioned in the temple ceremony. I have to admit that I have never thought about that one before. What's up with that? I must definitely give some deep pondering time to that one. A few months ago someone gave me a copy of Elliason's book about getting your C&E. It was not until that book that I realized that we liked to talk a lot about the restoration of the gospel, but amazingly there seemed no clear consensus as to what the gospel actually was! I did my own personal research project in which I asked twenty of the best, most experienced members that I knew that simple question: what is the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I was totally shocked to find no consensus; the answers were just all over the map. Some would go on for a very long time without taking a breath, as if hunting for a good answer, laying out the entire plan of salvation, marching out the ten tribes and putting them back again, and including the sealed book portions and brother of Jared's undisclosed experience and all the records in the hill cumorah and degrees of glory and on and on and on. I don't recall anyone just quoting D&C 39:6 or the various similar definitions in 3 Nephi that the Lord gave to the ancient inhabitants. I never interrupted or offered my opinion in these interviews. I never mentioned that the Lord has consistently defined the gospel as just the preparation for and receiving of this thing we are calling the Holy Ghost. However, if I asked the question a little differently such as, What are the first principles and ordinance of the gospel of Jesus Christ, then there was always a total instant consensus. It seems we have been programmed very well. I decided to take my personal research project and extend it to non-members of various descriptions to see what I got. I found that the responses were always something along the line that the gospel is the good news that: and then a lot of jesus words strung together that had no meaning because it was nothing that you could actually act upon or do anything with, and left you flat footed not knowing how to proceed. However, I did get a lot of free pamphlets.

I read Lectures on Faith 5 as you suggested and read it several times but found it quite confusing. There was a lot about oneness in there. And of course in any classroom setting there is always that guy that jumps to his feet at the mention of oneness and spouts, One in Purpose only! as if the Lord can't speak for himself and aren't we fortunate that guy is there to help the Lord speak understandably to us. The lecture material is very dense but I think Joseph is clearly telling us something of mighty importance there that I do not yet clearly comprehend, but I intend to pursue.

Then there was the Denver Snuffer blogs. Who is that guy??? I've never heard of him before, but I really liked what he was saying, or I should say, asking. He made such a good point that we as members largely do not think about the terms we use or question what they actually mean. We have a tendency to just exchange cliches, smile knowingly at each other and then head home in haste for that sunday dinner. I have so much to think about and research now.

I once was asked to sub as a gospel doctrine teacher. For that class I purposely stuck very tightly to the lesson material, but I purposely used unfamiliar terms and synonyms in everything I said. One brother finally jumped to his feet and told the class that I was teaching the devil's doctrine and that his brother-in-law used to talk like I was and now he is an apostate! I guess all I can say from that experience is that we do not like to be moved out of our comfort zone of familiarity and made to think about what we are saying. Well, I guess that's about all I have to say. I want to understand the Holy Ghost and fully experience this great gift because the Lord has gone to an awful lot of trouble to establish all the infrastructure and make all the sacrifices necessary just so we can experience this unspeakable gift, and it distresses me greatly that we have taken it so lightly and made it a thing of naught instead as the very core of the gospel.
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2567 is a reply to message #2563] Wed, 12 June 2013 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contemplator is currently offline  Contemplator
Red Mint,

Wow, I am impressed with your desire to seek and ponder. Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your thoughts and reactions.

Your experiment where you asked people to define the gospel and the fulness of the gospel is quite interesting. I have heard similar conversations and ideas. I posted a few thoughts about the fulness of the gospel in the book discussion section of this forum. I quite enjoyed the Elliason book, as well. Here is what I posted as a comment on the chapter about the fulness of the gospel:

Quote:

This is a wonderful chapter about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. As was discussed in the chapter, the scriptures consistently define the Gospel of Jesus Christ as:

1. Repentance
2. Baptism
3. Receive the Holy Ghost

And, faith is often described in connection with the Gospel of Jesus Christ as well. But, the chapter makes the jump to a conclusion that the fulness of the gospel is also these three things because of the role of the Holy Ghost.

I would like to pose a question. Is there more to the fulness of the gospel? It seems that there are other scriptures that define the Fulness of the Gospel. For example, the chapter quotes D&C 39:6 as part of establishing just what the Gospel of Jesus Christ includes -

Quote:
6 And this is my gospel--repentance and baptism by water, and then cometh the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost, even the Comforter, which showeth all things, and teacheth the peaceable things of the kingdom.

The chapter does not quote D&C 39:11 -

Quote:
11 And if thou do this, I have prepared thee for a greater work. Thou shalt preach the fulness of my gospel, which I have sent forth in these last days, the covenant which I have sent forth to recover my people, which are of the house of Israel.

This verse establishes that, having received the gospel, James Covill is ready for a greater work, teaching the fulness of the gospel. The fulness of the gospel is then defined as the covenant which the Lord has sent forth to recover His people of the house of Israel. This same definition is supported in D&C 66:2 and D&C 133:57 where the fulness of the gospel is equated with the everlasting covenant.

I agree that we will understand what is included in the fulness of the gospel by studying the Savior's ministry in the Book of Mormon. The following is a brief outline of the series of events and teaching during this visit of the Savior:

- Jesus defines His doctrine, given to Him by His Father. It is, in essence, to believe, repent, be baptized and receive the record of the Father through the Holy Ghost. (See 3 Nephi 11:32-39, also note that this topic is elaborated upon in 2 Nephi 31-32.)

- We are commanded to accept and follow this doctrine as we become as a little child (See 3 Nephi 11:37-38)

- Chapter 12-14 contain important teachings that are not the focus of this discussion.

- Chapters 15 and 16 contain teachings about "other sheep." The decedents of Lehi find that they are the "other sheep" Jesus spoke of to his disciples in Jerusalem. But, those disciples never learned of Lehi's family because they never asked after Jesus told them about the other sheep. So, the Father told Jesus to say no more (3 Nephi 15:17-21). Next, Jesus explained that he had yet other sheep (3 Nephi 16:1-3). Now, those who were listening had just been told that the disciples in Jerusalem never learned about the other sheep because they did not ask. Then after explaining this, Jesus said there are yet other sheep (hint, hint, hint) and by the end of chapter 16 nobody asked about them. So, Jesus said, "I perceive that ye are weak, that ye cannot understand all my words ..." (3 Nephi 17:2). He taught them to ask, seek and knock. He told them about how the disciples at Jerusalem didn't learn because they didn't ask. Then he gave them something to ask about, and they didn't ask. It seems that the people were not ready to learn about Jesus' sheep (the family of Israel).

- Jesus does not just leave in disappointment. Rather, He was filled with compassion and healed all of the sick or afflicted among them (3 Nephi 17:6-9). Then he asked for all their little children to be brought and he stood in their midst and prayed for all the people using words that cannot be written. Imagine the joy of this experience! These people witnessed the miracles that Jesus performed in mortality, and more.

- In Chapter 18 Jesus institutes the sacrament, commands the people to pray, to be a light to the world, and to teach others of Jesus Christ. He gave the disciples the power to give the Holy Ghost. and then ascended into Heaven. These things He did to prepare the people for what would happen the next day, and beyond.

- Those who were there the first day went home to gather everyone else to the temple for the return of Jesus the next day. In the morning the disciples taught what Jesus had taught the day before. Then all were baptized and received the Holy Ghost. Thus prepared, Jesus returned and stood in their midst. Everyone kneeled down and prayed. Jesus moved off a little way and prayed thanking the Father for giving these people, whom He had chosen, the Holy Ghost (3 Nephi 19:20). Then, returning He finds that they are praying as directed by the Spirit and they are coming to have the same countenance as Jesus. He went a little way off again and thanked the Father for purifying these people (3 Nephi 19:28). Finally, he prays to the Father that these may all be one with Him and the Father. After observing them again, He prays using words that cannot be recorded.

- In 3 Nephi 20:10 he says that people are ready and he will finish the commandment of the Father that he could not complete back in chapter 17 when He saw that the people were not ready. We can learn great lessons from this sequence. The things that happen in chapters 17, 18 and 19 are hints at the things that need to happen in our own lives for us to be ready to be taught about the covenant of the Father with Israel. That is the topic of chapters 20-26 which cover the rest of Jesus' teachings during this visit. And, the result of this sequence is the establishment of a Zion-like people.

It would seem, then, that the fulness of the gospel is, as defined in the D&C and as delivered by the Savior as recorded in the Book of Mormon is the gospel of Jesus Christ PLUS the covenant to recover His people. In other words, could it be that the fulness of the gospel is more than just individual salvation through repentance baptism and the Holy Ghost, but it also includes the gathering of God's people by those who have received the gospel?

What do you think?

You have clearly given this topic some serious thought. Would you be willing to share what you have learned?

Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2578 is a reply to message #895] Tue, 18 June 2013 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elejian is currently offline  Elejian
Lectures on Faith 5:2 states, "all those who keep his commandments shall grow up from grace to grace, and become heirs of the heavenly kingdom, and joint heirs with Jesus Christ; possessing the same mind, being transformed into the same image or likeness, even the express image of him who fills all in all: being filled with the fulness of his glory, and become one in him, even as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one" (underlining added).

Exalted beings are one with, and share the fulness of, the Light of Christ, or Spirit of the Gods.

So to me, whenever I read the words "Holy Ghost," I substitute it with the words, "potential future Self."
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2583 is a reply to message #2578] Thu, 27 June 2013 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zone
Thats good insight, its my personal belief that Holy Spirit is separate from the Holy Spirit.

The holy spirit is that oneness, the mind of god
The holy ghost is the spirit that allows us to communicate our soul with the Holy spirt (mind of God) to receive his will.
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2584 is a reply to message #2563] Thu, 27 June 2013 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zone
Quote:
core of the gospel.

...the holy ghost is the core of the gospel. Your right many don't realize it as you showed. but it definitely should be! Sorry if some of it is a repeat, I read the posts a week ago and didn't respond yet.

Because someone quoted Denver Snuffer, I will quote him again.

Quote:
> Wednesday, December 28, 2011
> The whole not the parts

> There are a few important ideas that define my understanding of the Gospel of Jesus Christ as restored by the Lord through the Prophet Joseph Smith. These are the ideas that make the Gospel whole, and not just a group of disconnected thoughts. Until these were part of the core of my understanding, I was left with disconnected dots and no overall harmony from which to orient myself.
>
> First and foremost is that we are not to follow any man or men. No man is worthy of discipleship. Not me, not another. There is only one who is worth following. He is the way, the truth and the life (John 14: 16). Beside Him there is no other person who can save you (Mosiah 3: 17).
>
> This first principle is what has motivated all I have written. It is a mistake to think there is a departure in Passing the Heavenly Gift from the topic begun in The Second Comforter: Conversing With the Lord Through the Veil. They are both necessary. They do not reflect a change in my testimony or commitment to the truth, only an elaboration on the essential core principle that we are not going to be saved by following men. Rather, you will become "darkened in your mind" if you do so. (TPJS p. 237.)
>
> Second and equally important, it is not the depth of your study that matters, but the quality of your connection with heaven that matters. Expounding doctrine is not only insufficient, it is oftentimes a distraction from what matters. We go from unbelief to belief when we learn truth. Not every source, including institutional sources, can be trusted to tell you the truth. Only the light of Christ, followed by the Holy Ghost is a reliable guide to distinguish between unbelief and belief. We go from belief to faith as we take action consistent with belief in truth. Faith is a principle of power. It will lead you to receive angels who still minister to those of a sound mind, not given to flights of fantasy or unstable behavior (Moroni 7: 30). We are brought from faith to knowledge as angels prepare us through their ministry. (Moroni 7: 31; Moroni 7: 25; Alma 32: 23.) Knowledge comes from contact with Jesus Christ. (Ether 3: 19.) This is the knowledge that saves, and nothing else. (John 17: 3.) The idea that knowledge of Christ through His personal appearance to you is now unavailable is an old sectarian notion and is false. (John 14: 23; D&C 130: 3.)
>
> Third, there is no written record, including the scriptures, which are able to tell you all you must know. You can only know the truth by having it revealed to you from heaven itself. (D&C 76: 114-118.) This is the reason Joseph said if you could gaze into heaven for five minutes you would know more than you would by reading everything that has ever been written on the subject. (TPJS p. 324.) Either you do as James says, and ask of God, or you will forever remain ignorant of the only knowledge which can save a man. (JS-H 1: 13, referring to James 1: 5.)
>
> Fourth, the truth is intended to save us. We should welcome corrections. Too often, however, we are offended and think the truth is a hard thing to endure. (1 Ne. 16: 1-3.) That is a product of pride and arrogance. It is impossible to learn what must be learned unless we are willing to be corrected. (Mosiah 3: 19.) Therefore, only the qualified will arrive at the gates, because the rest are unwilling to take the trip required of them.
>
> Fifth, this is a personal journey which each must take for themselves. It cannot be shared. You must approach the Throne yourself. Joseph was alone when he met the Father and Son. Moses was alone when he ascended the Mount to meet the Lord. Enoch was alone when he was caught up to heaven. Elijah was alone on the mountain when the whirlwind, lightning and earthquake preceded the Lord's own voice. Daniel alone saw the vision of the Lord. Paul alone saw the light. Nephi alone saw his father's vision. Enos was alone in the wilderness in his encounter with God. Abraham was alone when the Lord spoke to him. Jacob slept alone when the ladder to heaven descended for him. You will also be alone should the Lord come to visit you. This cannot be borrowed from another.
>
> These are the core. This core is what faith, repentance, baptism and the Gift of the Holy Ghost are meant to bring about. The religion of heaven always involves heaven. It does not involve men and administration and popularity. It is solitary, between you and God. The proud, however, are content to proclaim their righteousness and sit in judgment of others. They live without God in the world (Mormon 5: 16), and their end will be destruction. They think their own imagination is revelation, and they foolishly value only their conceit. (Proverbs 26: 11-12.)
>
> I will never flatter you. But I will never lie to you, either. My faith in the Gospel is stronger now than the day I was baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My fidelity to the church is greater now than it has ever been. It offered me baptism and I gladly accepted. If offered me scriptures, and I gladly accepted. It offered me ordination, laying on hands, washings, anointings, covenants and sacraments, and I gladly accepted them all. It gives me fellowship, and I value it. But my faith is in Christ alone.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 June 2013 13:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2585 is a reply to message #895] Thu, 27 June 2013 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I may be wrong, but as far as I can tell, in the KJV New Testament, "ghost" = "spirit." The Greek adjective hagios + the neuter noun pneuma are sometimes translated as "Holy Ghost," and sometimes translated as "Holy Spirit." (Why couldn't the translators have been consistent?)

Alma 11:44 states that the Father, Son, and "Holy Spirit" are one God.

I have a list (too long to post here) of the times when the Spirit is referred to as "it" or "he," and the times when the Holy Ghost is referred to as "it" or "he."

Brigham Young said, "It is the Deity within us that causes increase. Does this idea startle you? Are you ready to exclaim, 'What! the Supreme in us!' Yes. He is in every person upon the face of the earth. The elements that every individual is made of and lives in, possess the Godhead. This you cannot now understand, but you will hereafter" (Journal of Discourses 1:93). Colossians 2:9 states that in Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily."

If we symbolically start in this fallen world with our backs to the sun (Potential Self), looking at our shadow (our carnal/false self, the "god of this world"), then perhaps the first 4 principles of the Gospel on another level of symbolism would be (briefly):

1. Faith in the existence of one's Potential Self (Potential Fulness of Godhead Within).

2. Repentance = Hebrew shube = To "turn around," to take all those steps to get us facing the right direction (toward the source of light, having the proper goal in sight).

3. Baptism - Immersion in all things good, while washing away all things impure.

4. Truly receive the Holy Ghost, which is to receive the fulness of the omnipresent Spirit occupying the same area where our body is. So in that sense, what we are receiving is person-shaped -- a "personage"! "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known" (1 Corinthians 13:12, emphasis added).

All exalted beings are Holy Ghosts/Spirits clothed with celestial bodies.

On this layer of interpretation, the unpardonable sin is truly terrible: to actually know of the existence of one's Higher/Potential Self, and then deny it exists, purposely shutting the doors of eternal progression to oneself! The Spirit will not always strive with a man (e.g. 2 Nephi 26:11), because when he is so far lost, his Potential Self can no longer become an actuality.
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2604 is a reply to message #895] Thu, 11 July 2013 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr. Peter Higgs, back in th 60s, proposed that there was an energy field that permeated the entire universe which is now called the Higgs Field. The idea is that we (and everything) are immersed in this energy field like in a vast sea of water. The field was proposed to be made of particles like water is made of H20 molecular particles. Last March, these field particles, known as Higgs Boson particles, were shown to have a high probability of being for real and it is the interaction within this "sea" of Higgs Boson particles that gives the varying mass to electrons, protons, neutrons etc. But regardless, the point is this:

Elejian's proposal that to

Truly receive the Holy Ghost, which is to receive the fulness of the omnipresent Spirit occupying the same area where our body is. So in that sense, what we are receiving is person-shaped -- a "personage"!

is brilliant. I mean, then the Holy Ghost doesn't have to run around trying to be with everyone that is calling on him at any particular instant, but rather is always there because he is ever present everywhere in the universe as the permeating energy field. For example, I am here on earth accessing him and some other guy is out on some planet in the Saggitarius constellation and the holy ghost is fulfilling his mission to both of us, millions of light years apart, at the same instant. Now that's service!

And the holy ghost would be personage shaped ie. in our own shape based upon how much our shape overshadows the universe's intelligent energy field ie. the holy ghost. But does that mean that fat guys have more holy ghost because they cover more area?

It would also speak to how the holy ghost could be totally synchronized with the mind of the father and son, and it would explain how he could know ALL things. Of course, he would know everything because he is in and through all things as the very fabric of the universe ie. permeating the entire universe as an energy field.

Pretty good one Elejian! However, I've got yet another crazy eyed idea on the holy ghost and the gift of the holy ghost based upon your anatomy, but I'll wait to give it in a separate post from this one. You know, I just have to laugh. It's like I heard someone once describe that man's relationship with God is like a baked bean thinking that it almost understands the mind of Albert Einstein. However, regardless of how ridiculously speculative it all may be, I find it much more interesting and satisfying to rest my mind upon God and his eternal mysteries than I do watching TV sports, Seinfeld reruns and sending tweets. In fact, maybe to worship something just means that we give our attention to that thing.
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2605 is a reply to message #895] Fri, 12 July 2013 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like the following statement by President Charles W. Penrose: "Now, let us understand this clearly in our own minds: When we lay hands upon an individual and say, 'Receive the Holy Ghost,' . . . what is it? Do you mean to say that upon every child that is confirmed, you give the personality of the Holy Ghost, as a personage of spirit? Not at all; it is the universal Spirit in a higher degree that is conferred" (April 1922 General Conference; emphasis added).
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2606 is a reply to message #895] Fri, 12 July 2013 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it is the universal Spirit in a higher degree that is conferred

I know, right? That totally makes sense. But let's throw some synonyms at that quote to maybe get a better feel for the message. Like, could we replace "higher degree" with something like, "more abundantly", as in John 10:10 I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Or maybe we could use a computer technology analogy like "higher degree" meaning "higher bandwidth". I mean, imagine that we are all born into the world with like a 1200 baud dialup modem access to the holy ghost installed as part of our factory standard package. And then when one gets upgraded to the gift of the holy ghost, that is like getting our equipment upgraded from a crappy modem to an always-on, broadband high-speed bandwidth access. In fact, I kind of like that analogy because it brings up something else that I've been thinking about in regards to accessing the holy ghost.

Luke 17:20-21 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

So maybe our holy ghost access portal is universal in that it is right there built into each and everyone of us; a biomechanism waiting to be activated. Maybe the gift that the holy ghost gives is something far more than just a perk of church membership. I mean, John, the 3 Nephites and other holy men have stuck around for a very long time prior to Joseph Smith turning people onto something, and just maybe that something is the gospel of Jesus Christ ie. high bandwidth access to the holy ghost.

It is kind of like a client-server architecture in which the client device is part of our human physiology and the server that we access is the holy ghost just like a web server that serves up web pages upon request by a client computer (ie. a human) and can showeth ALL things to a requesting client over the divine internet infrastructure.

Full access to the holy ghost IS the gospel and upon that rock one must build, everything else being a sandy foundation that will be washed away. And in our day which may well be the worst age of deception ever to be seen by planet earth, how could the foundational rock be anything other than the pure access to light and truth from the one being certified to know all and never lie? And man do we ever need that! I really wonder if our government indeed even has the ability anymore to not lie, spin, slant, twist, pervert or make secret - everything.
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2619 is a reply to message #895] Sat, 27 July 2013 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just read Mr Waterman's essay on How Corporatism Has Undermined and Subverted The Church of Jesus Christ. The essay brought tears to my eyes and left me feeling sick. However, it does not surprise me. Big money attracts big rats. It always has. We like to believe that our modern church has been kept immune even though it is clear that the ancient churches were not.

Christ said that he would build his church upon the Rock of his gospel. Christ repeatedly defined exactly what that Rock is. Now let me be as clear as I can possibly be as to what the Rock is because this is absolutely critical. The gospel is just ONE thing. The gospel is the gift of the holy ghost. It bears repeating:

The fulness of the gospel of Jesus Chris is the gift of the holy ghost.

The Lord explains in 84:54-59 why everything is turning to sheet. It is because we have treated the gospel lightly rather than as the most important and powerful gift given to mortals.

Now here's my point and the whole of the matter regarding the awfulness of our situation: Christ declared that the church was to be built upon the Rock of [the gift of the holy ghost] which provides us a consistent (not hit or miss), on-demand (like opening your eyes for sight), full volume (not a wispy intuition) access to ALL truth. With this gift activated, we would do the works that Christ did and even greater! That is the test that is given you to know if you have your gift truly activated or you are using a pretend version of the gift.

Here is what must be clarified and underlined: the church is built upon the Rock of the gospel. It is not the other way around!!!! Somehow we have allowed that simple truth to be perv'd into the gospel being built upon the Rock of the Church.
IT IS NOT TRUE!
IT IS NOT TRUE!
IT IS NOT TRUE!

What happens when the gospel (ie. the gift of the holy ghost) is erroneously accepted to be built upon the church? First of all the gifts of the spirit begin disappearing. Then you have officials come 'round claiming the authority to cancel your celestial passport if you are not aligned to the church policy manual because they are employed as the kingdom's gatekeepers. Before you know it there is a turnkey tyranny NSA data center being built in your backyard and you are being told to pay it no attention because all is well in zion!

I am sure that this all sounds off-the-chart apostate to many that will read this. So how do we know for sure if what I have postulated is evil and apostate? How can we know the truth and not be deceived? There has only been one answer EVER given to those questions. The answer is the activation of a portal within each of us. This amazing portal is within each and every one of us. It has always been there just like our heart or spleen or liver. It just needs to be activated. The activation is the gift that the holy ghost gives. The activation is the gift of the holy ghost.
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2623 is a reply to message #895] Sun, 28 July 2013 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sheol27 is currently offline  Sheol27
I would like to share my current understanding of this from my own personal prayer and studies. We are all born with the Light of Christ or in other words the Holy Ghost. I have understood since I can remember that this is given to all men to know good from evil. Basically a conscious......

Christ teaches that His Gospel is basically, Faith/ Repentance, Baptism, and the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I would like to clarify that my understanding of the Gift of the Holy Ghost is the ability or possibility of having the Holy Ghost as a constant companion.
I agree with the OP but I believe the key to the Holy Ghost being our spirit is the Baptism of Fire. I believe that when our spirits are cleansed by the Blood of Christ and purified that is what makes our Ghost's Holy. Therefore to enjoy this constant companionship and to keep having things brought to our remembrance we must be kept clean, pure and holy.

Like Jules said, there is more to this topic that can be said but I should leave it where it is at as well. Though I will say that the temple has symbolism of this being true doctrine.
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2639 is a reply to message #2115] Wed, 07 August 2013 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
I am jumping in here, having not read all the other posts on the thread, but wanted to add my thoughts on this point:
Quote:
I believe time is temporary.

You provide a good reference to support this. There are many definitions of time. In my study of physics, I find that time is a measurement of change and that some changes are cyclical which allows us to use them to segment and reference non-cyclical changes. For example, the earth rotates and we see the sun rise and fall repeatedly, so we call it a day. But if time stopped, then the sun would stop moving across the sky and half the earth would be in darkness. Even more so, if time stopped then the atoms would also stop vibrating and the electrons would freeze and the energy that makes up all things would stop expressing itself; even light would stop and nothing would exist. not only would the clocks stop ticking, but they would stop existing. Even God would stop existing. And if God continued to exist, He/She could do nothing because the moment change begins again, time has begun again...

So when the scriptures say that time stops, it doesn't mean that the fundamental cause of time, (Change), has stopped. It means that the problems associated with time and that give time its sting have stopped. For example, over time we age and die. When we have become immortal, we essentially have unlimited time and so the fear of not being able to accomplish everything we need to accomplish in the life time we are given become nullified. Time has become unlimited. Eternal youth. No more decay, aging, dying. It then becomes as if time did not exist for us. But in reality, time does exist because we can change things and because time is change, we can reference things like, before and after and we will still use cyclical changes to segment and reference the order of events. For example, that scripture you quoted and the whole song takes place at the beginning of the millennium which lasts for a 1000 years in which Satan is bound, all those remaining will know Christ, The Lord will have redeemed his people (brought them back into the paradise from which they fell, not exalted them), etc. When the Millennium begins, Christ's work and the Aaronic Priesthood is is finished. But there will be a thousand years in which Satan is bound before he is again loosed. So, time still exists in that things still happen and time can be calculated and recorded, but there is no death and decay any more. So, time overcome such that the negative effects of time no longer exist, yet clocks still work and the sun still moves across the sky and all things still exist, so time still remains as before.

Seeker

~ Seeker
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2640 is a reply to message #2563] Wed, 07 August 2013 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
RedMint wrote on Tue, 11 June 2013 10:11
TI was totally shocked to find no consensus; the answers were just all over the map. Some would go on for a very long time without taking a breath, as if hunting for a good answer, laying out the entire plan of salvation, marching out the ten tribes and putting them back again, and including the sealed book portions and brother of Jared's undisclosed experience and all the records in the hill cumorah and degrees of glory and on and on and on. I don't recall anyone just quoting D&C 39:6 or the various similar definitions in 3 Nephi that the Lord gave to the ancient inhabitants. I never interrupted or offered my opinion in these interviews. I never mentioned that the Lord has consistently defined the gospel as just the preparation for and receiving of this thing we are calling the Holy Ghost. However, if I asked the question a little differently such as, What are the first principles and ordinance of the gospel of Jesus Christ, then there was always a total instant consensus. It seems we have been programmed very well. I decided to take my personal research project and extend it to non-members of various descriptions to see what I got. I found that the responses were always something along the line that the gospel is the good news that: and then a lot of jesus words strung together that had no meaning because it was nothing that you could actually act upon or do anything with, and left you flat footed not knowing how to proceed. However, I did get a lot of free pamphlets.

I have done a similar experiment and received the same results! The pamplets part was funny!
Quote:
I once was asked to sub as a gospel doctrine teacher. For that class I purposely stuck very tightly to the lesson material, but I purposely used unfamiliar terms and synonyms in everything I said. One brother finally jumped to his feet and told the class that I was teaching the devil's doctrine and that his brother-in-law used to talk like I was and now he is an apostate!

Oh my gosh! That's crazy. My sister-in-law said the same of my wife and I once...

Sad

~ Seeker
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2652 is a reply to message #895] Sun, 11 August 2013 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker, I like your comments on time. When the Millennium comes, maybe it will be more accurate to say, "Telestial time is no longer."

RedMint, we may be dealing with semantics here, but "the gift of the holy ghost" as defined in the Gospel Principles manual (page 121) and as identified as the second of (at least) 3 phases of the Light of Christ by Marion G. Romney in 4/1977 Conference would seem to indicate that "the gift of the holy ghost" is not quite the end of our potential spiritual journey.

I like how Joseph F. Smith has referred to it as "the presentation of the Holy Ghost" (Gospel Doctrine, 60-1).

Perhaps slight variations to your statement could include:

The fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ is the full reception of the Holy Ghost.
The fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ is to become a Holy Ghost clothed in a celestial body.
The fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ is to become one with the Holy Ghost, the Son, and the Father.

There were some earlier comments about Nephi seeing "the Spirit of the Lord" in 1 Nephi 11:11. "I beheld that he was in the form of a man." Although some think he saw the Holy Ghost, my own opinion is that he saw the Spirit of the Lord Jesus Christ (Jehovah). If this opinion is correct, I wonder if maybe that partially explains why the Spirit of the Lord leaves, and Nephi is then accompanied by an angel when he sees Christ's mortal ministry in vision--maybe seeing double would be too much for Nephi's mind?
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2653 is a reply to message #2652] Sun, 11 August 2013 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A little girl in Sunday School was asked, What do we learn from the story of Jesus turning water into wine?
The little girl innocently replied, The more wine we get the better the wedding is.

When I was almost 8 years old, I remember thinking that I had figured out many of life's mysteries. I believed my teachers lived at school and that's why they were never late. I also believed that doctors sold babies at the hospital. At least I used to believe that's where babies came from until one night at the family dinner table I received additional light and revelation on the matter.

I was entering the 3rd grade at the time of my new revelation. My dad told me to spit out my gum because we don't chew gum at the dinner table. I protested that it was not gum. Well then Allisa, what are you chewing? I pulled a condom out of my mouth. My older brother started howling with laughter. My mother, half choking, demanded that I give her that dirty thing immediately! I said, No. Not until you tell me what it is. My dad with a purple face exploded, It's so men can make babies! Now give it to your mother. NOW!! I remember sitting there within the tribal chaos that had ignited thinking, So that's how babies are made! I couldn't wait to tell my best friend of my amazing breakthrough discovery.

I am still very infantile in my understanding of the mysteries of God. My 8 year old self, like the little Sunday School girl, felt like she had such a firm grasp on life's mysteries but really it was mostly just gleanings from stuff that I heard others say and dots that I connected. In reality I had no complete understandings but only small sweet bits of truth swirled in to each of my understandings like the m&m pieces in a dairy queen shake.

My point in taking you down my memory lane is simply this: we are indeed just children here in a sandbox, showing and laughing and playing. I already know that I don't know. I'm just a ridiculous redheaded undergrad desperately seeking the truth and anxious to consider any and every thing you have to say. I believe that the holy ghost IS the key to comprehending the truth of all things. I send my sincere love and gratitude to all of you guys that have taken time to contribute to this interesting conversation.
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2654 is a reply to message #2653] Sun, 11 August 2013 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RedMint wrote on Sun, 11 August 2013 15:18
I am still very infantile in my understanding of the mysteries of God. . . . I already know that I don't know.

The same goes for all of us (especially me). And I will exercise great restraint in avoiding the temptation to ask for more details about that dinner table discussion. Smile

RedMint wrote on Sun, 11 August 2013 15:18
I believe that the holy ghost IS the key to comprehending the truth of all things.

Yes, scriptures like Moses 6:61 would confirm that.

I hope you didn't misunderstand me. I'm generally in agreement with what you're saying. My comment was just a semantics issue, hinging on how a person defines the word "gift."
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2659 is a reply to message #2653] Sun, 11 August 2013 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

RedMint wrote on Sun, 11 August 2013 16:18
A little girl in Sunday School was asked, What do we learn from the story of Jesus turning water into wine?
The little girl innocently replied, The more wine we get the better the wedding is.

When I was almost 8 years old, I remember thinking that I had figured out many of life's mysteries. I believed my teachers lived at school and that's why they were never late. I also believed that doctors sold babies at the hospital. At least I used to believe that's where babies came from until one night at the family dinner table I received additional light and revelation on the matter.

I was entering the 3rd grade at the time of my new revelation. My dad told me to spit out my gum because we don't chew gum at the dinner table. I protested that it was not gum. Well then Allisa, what are you chewing? I pulled a condom out of my mouth. My older brother started howling with laughter. My mother, half choking, demanded that I give her that dirty thing immediately! I said, No. Not until you tell me what it is. My dad with a purple face exploded, It's so men can make babies! Now give it to your mother. NOW!! I remember sitting there within the tribal chaos that had ignited thinking, So that's how babies are made! I couldn't wait to tell my best friend of my amazing breakthrough discovery.

I am still very infantile in my understanding of the mysteries of God. My 8 year old self, like the little Sunday School girl, felt like she had such a firm grasp on life's mysteries but really it was mostly just gleanings from stuff that I heard others say and dots that I connected. In reality I had no complete understandings but only small sweet bits of truth swirled in to each of my understandings like the m&m pieces in a dairy queen shake.

My point in taking you down my memory lane is simply this: we are indeed just children here in a sandbox, showing and laughing and playing. I already know that I don't know. I'm just a ridiculous redheaded undergrad desperately seeking the truth and anxious to consider any and every thing you have to say. I believe that the holy ghost IS the key to comprehending the truth of all things. I send my sincere love and gratitude to all of you guys that have taken time to contribute to this interesting conversation.

Red Mint, I really like you!! Very Happy

~Jules
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2660 is a reply to message #2653] Mon, 12 August 2013 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Sheol27 is currently offline  Sheol27
RedMint wrote on Sun, 11 August 2013 16:18

That was too funny. We are glad to have another redhead here though Very Happy We are getting enough redheads here that maybe we should make a redhead section. Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 12 August 2013 12:15]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: The Adam God Theory
Next Topic: Signs of the Times
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:17:47 MDT 2024